Reload this Page >

Madrid Airport Security issues with Theft and no Police response

Notices

Old May 27th, 2012, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My smartphone was stolen May 25, 2012 in Terminal 1 around 8:30am while going through security and the police could not care less. They actually don't even listen, they just hang up on me.

I noticed shortly after it happened and even asked if they could review the tapes quickly before my flight left me, thinking I could explain to whoever took it that it was useless to them since it is not a global phone. It is a $500-$600 phone monetary value, but priceless for all the pictures (from my trip and from the week before including my niece's dance recital), music, apps, documents, etc. stored on it. I had to frantically change all my passwords to all accounts connected to the device since everything was stored in it for easy access.

I am not really sure why they would not just get to the bottom of it right away since it is no value to anyone else? So now they are having to deal with me calling them daily requesting to make a report, which I am hung up on constantly but hoping that maybe the phone and storage has not been discarded yet and they can review the security camera to see who has it.

There is definitely something going, I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they have any tips on how to get this resolved.

I have been calling the main airport line 902404704 and two police lines 913010717 and 913010900 during all of my spare time trying to get some help.
Old May 27th, 2012, 05:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! There are clearly some problems at Madrid airport.

If you read back through the engagement ring thread, on which you have also posted you will see a couple of e-mail addresses from Lincasanova. You could try those I guess, but I fear your phone, and all it's contents are gone.
Old May 27th, 2012, 10:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't understand what is going on w/these reports of theft going through security! I always keep an eye on my stuff as it goes through security check.I don't ynderstand the ring thing at all,still don't understand why she felt the need to take it off and then took so long to remember to get it !!!!I always have tp my laptop through to be checked and it is never out of my sight and never had a problem!
I do have 2 great experiences at Barajas to share. While closing up my laptop after showing it to security,I set down my passport w/boarding pass and just as I stepped away,the guardia civil came up behind me,tapped me on the shoulder and handed them to me!Secondly,I had placed my coat w/ my carryon in the same bin and the security person actually went and got a second bin for me after saying "Un momento por favor".
When I go to the Vat window, they even say thanks for shopping in Spain and had someone walk me to the mailbox!
I have found the security personnel to be so much friendlier at Bartajas than in Paris, Rome or London.
Old May 27th, 2012, 01:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, again we have a first time poster with a problem at Madrid airport... It all seems very familiar.
Old May 27th, 2012, 01:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Besides, 'a smart phone' that is not a 'world phone'? Wouldn't that make it a dumb phone? Am I missing something here?
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not a first time poster by far and I can say that the ONLY place in the world where I have visited and had something actually taken from a checked suitcase (not carryon) was in Madrid airport. I believe there are definitely security issues there.
Old May 28th, 2012, 04:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lost a couple of things a couple of times on US flights to Canada, either in the US or Canada. Suitcases where tagged inspected by officials..Who knows what people see worth taking!! This is not a particular problem of any set airport!!
Old May 28th, 2012, 05:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I find it very curious somebody would register just to post about something like this.

Flame, It's happened to me going from the US to Puerto Rico some years ago. Recently they uncovered a ring of baggage handlers at Kennedy airport in NY which would steal and resell things from checked in bags. Unfortunately, its endemic not only in Madrid.
Old May 29th, 2012, 04:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chapla - I would say you had a different experience to me. There are a lot of staff working at the airport, there are bound to be some bad eggs.

As for taking "so long to remember to get it !", it was a very short period. And there is a chance that I did not notice it in the tray when I collected my other goods, because it had already been stolen.

There are lots of people in the world who are not members of sites like these - but still read them occasionally and know the value, I think it's perfectly sound that a desperate person would think to post on one of them. And you have to register to post.

After my ring was stolen, I read about lots of other similar cases online in airports around the world. Definitely the exception not the rule, but it happens more than we'd like to think!

Robert... haven't you got better things to do aside from hassling people on the internet?
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 03:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi angela

I was at Terminal 1 security in Madrid recently (5th Sept 2012) my Galaxy Note phone was stolen using the tactics that you describe, I also just got the run around at the airport with no one there wanting to know - We both know we were robbed plain and simple.

I'm so pleased you posted as I searched for similar when I got home, the more people report this online the more chance the thiefs will be caught.

I was absolutely gutted to lose my phone and all the holiday pics and film.

I also read some of Roberts comments, what an utter idiot he is.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 05:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you TheDragonSlayer! But who would be stupid enough to put their smart phone through security all by itself. Surely not you, a supposed seasoned traveler, but with only one post, a very questionable one at that.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 07:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear of your experience. I guess bad things happen all over. We all feel that moment of anxiety when we place our bags on the belt and they pass through the X-Ray machine when, JUST THEN, there's a blockage in the line which holds up back to pass through ourselves, on the opposite side of our stuff. Laptops must be in a bin by themselves, but smartphones and your other stuff can go in another, I believe. Always cover them with a jacket or other less important items whenever possible.

Saludos, MadridMan
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 09:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I don;t undertand is letting your bins go through before you do.

I load my bins and then hold them next to me - and I don;t release them to go through the scanner until it's my turn to walk through. That way they come through either with me or right after me. I then pull them to the end of the channel to repack things right there before moving away.

An airport is just like anyplace else - you have to hang onto your belongings.