Madrid Airport Hotel

Search

Madrid Airport Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid Airport Hotel

We need hotel for the last night in Spain in May...will be staying at Paradors in Avila, Salamaca, Leon, Segovia on 5 night pass (am very excited about this) and our flight to Amsterdam leaves at 6:25 a.m. (not so excited about this), so we'll only be in the hotel a few hours. Would like something fairly inexpensive (under $100) but preferably with a shuttle to the airport.

Any suggestions?

(I've been bidding on priceline, but no luck so far.)
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 10:48 AM

You'll love the parador in Leon; it is simply magnificent.

A word of advice: If you happen to want to eat dinner there on a Saturday night, reserve! The entire haute bourgeoisie of Leon seems to eat Saturday dinner there. (I had aperitifs in the bar for an hour or so, went up to my room for an hour or so and finally got seated for dinner at around 10:30. Which I know is a civilized hour for Spaniards, but which I found just a wee bit late...)
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Try to find a hotel on:

www.booking.es

Destinations Madrid, click on more hotels. And on the left appear "Destinations nerby", then click on "Barajas" (name of the Madrid airport), and you'll find many hotels near Barajas Madrid airport.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 11:50 AM

I would be cautious about bidding on Priceline in this case. The Barajas Airport zone is fairly large, and so far as I know, no one else has ever reported a win here, so it's really a shot in the dark.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 12:18 PM

I highly recommend the Hotel High Tech Madrid Aeropuerto. The rate I got for a quadruple was about $140/night. They are about 1 km from the airport and have free shuttle service. We dropped the rental car at Barajas the night before (in from Toledo). Then had the Airport hotel reservation center called the High Tech Hotel who picked us up at the airport. The morning after we just took the free shuttle back to Barajas. Quiet, nice, comfortable, good service. This hotel is often featured in laterooms.com.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 05:03 PM

bancotel has several options for most dates for 50 euros/night except near end of month when a couple nights are available but for 2 vouchers.

i think only the 11th and 12th do not have rooms yet under this plan.

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 06:29 PM

I take it you're flying out of Barajas, the airport in Madrid. If so, then you can check the following web page for hotels located close to the airport, some with shuttle service.

http://madrid.airporthotelguide.com/

Forget Priceline and just make sure you have a place to stay on your last night.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for, as usual, great advise.

Eloise,
We'll be in Leon Sat. & Sun. nights, so I take it we would probably be better off eating at the Parador on Sunday night (if they're open) and going someplace else Sat. night? Any other great places to eat?
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 01:36 AM

As a general rule, I doubt that you'll find a hotel that offers free shuttle service before 6:00 AM. We have stayed at Best Western Villa Barajas, and at the Hotel Diana: both have free airport shuttle service but neither has it before 6:00 AM.

There are Taxicabs available in Madrid at all hours - some of them will be at the Plaza in Barajas having Chocolate con Churros (Toribio's Churreria opens at 05:00 AM). My solution: have the desk clerk call me a taxi as soom as I awakened and it was at the door when I was ready to leave.
BTW
Both those hotels are 3-star Category and should be around 100-Euro (That's Euros, not dollars).
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:23 AM

Artlover,

When I was there (in May 2000), the dining room of the parador was open for dinner Sunday evening. I actually felt quite foolish because, after the Saturday evening debacle, I made a reservation for Sunday evening and found myself in a half-empty dining room with only the other tourists.

I wish I could suggest another good place for Saturday, but I normally skip lunch and have only dinner (or vice versa). And since the late dinner on Saturday was miles better than the dinners I had had at the parador in Zamora, I decided to return on Sunday. And I left Leon on Monday.

In addition to the parador itself (with a cloister and a small archeological museum in the deconsecrated church) and the cathedral, don't miss the Panteon de los Reyes at San Isidoro: wonderful Romanesque frescoes. If I recall correctly, one can only go in in guided groups, and I think our guide only spoke Spanish.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Eloise, for the information. We too usually only eat one meal a day--usually dinner--and snack for the others.