Madrid airport

Old Sep 13th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Madrid airport

On my way back from elsewhere I'm spending my last nite in Madrid and flying out the next day. Is it worth staying at a hotel near the airport? My flight is around noon. How long does it take to get to the airport from Madrid? What's the quickest way to get there? I will have a suitcase on wheels. Thanks
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 04:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get to the airport in around 20 minutes (or less) from the Salamanca district, a few minutes longer from Madrid's historic district, which means you can enjoy your last night in the city. The quickest way is by taxi.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any suggestions for a hotel in that area? I'd like to spend between $125-175 for a double room. Does that area have any good rsts
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 06:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Robert, is taxi really the quickest way?

I ask because I'll be arriving in Madrid next week and thought the metro or train would be quicker into Atocha station.

I am also considering the airport express bus.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 07:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not thinking the metro would be quicker to Atocha, but the Cercanias train probably is quicker than the cab or equally swift depending upon time of day. Of course, the train isn't at your beck and call.

To the OP, 125-175 for a double will not be easy. That will be the Euro number at a mid-price hotel, not the dollar number.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How long does a cab take? this would be on a sunday
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 07:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best Westerm Don Carlos IV is in that price range,,shuttle 10E from airport, 10E back. Two doors off Puerto Del Sol. Nice breakfast, clean, helpful. Ask for room at back as they are quieter and have larger bathrooms. 3rd floor front rooms can be noisy, due to morning deliveries and late night strollers and have very small baths. I certainly enjoyed my 3 stays this last year, TA booked 2 times and 1 on my own at hotel web site.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 08:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't recommend staying in the exclusive Barrio de Salamanca on your last night. It's quite a walk to the historical center, say, to the Puerta del Sol (maybe 25 minutes, more or less). In the chic and beautiful Barrio de Salamanca, you do have a few very nice restaurants and bars, but nowhere near the concentration you have in the old downtown. I would recommend Barrio de Salamanca, however, if you plan to stay IN the Barrio de Salamanca for the night.

Taxi is your best and fastest option to go from downtown to the Madrid Barajas Airport. It'll cost you 27-35 Euros and take 20-25 minutes. Take a look at WorldTaxiMeter.com once you know your hotel's location.

Happy travels and enjoy your last night in Madrid!

Saludos, MadridMan
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 08:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having taken the taxi to the airport quite often the last several years, we have never paid more than €27, even from the Plaza Santa Ana. Also, the ride has never been more than 30 minutes in the worst commuter traffic. The last taxi we took out on a Sunday morning had us at terminal 1, from the Hotel Hermosilla, in under 17 minutes and cost €25, including a tip.

The airport bus is the second quickest way to get from Atocha station to the airport, but it's not that convenient, depending on where you are staying.

The metro is the slowest way to travel, but can be a bit more convenient if you are staying in the area around Plaza Santa Ana and you don't mind spending the time. There is also the twenty-minute walk once you reach the airport if you are departing from terminal 1. And don't forget the new supplement to and from the airport if taking the metro.

As MadridMan noted, Salamanca has some of Madrid's best restaurants and there are dozens of non-touristy tapas bars within a short walk of Recoletos, especially in the area across the avenue from Retiro Park. And no, you would not be near the tapas bars in Old Madrid, but the walk wouldn't kill you, but it might make you hungry.

The Hotel NH Lagasca, C/Lagasca, 64 in Salamanca, should have something in your price range, depending on our dates.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 11:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take the Expressbus for 5 euros from Atocha or Cibeles!
Find a hotel near there,Lope de Vega would be perfect and then walk to either bus stop.
I've given up on the taxis-cheated too many times and avoid the metro-too many steps!
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 12:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
>

No it's not. Cercanias is. In September the commuter train company Cercanias opened its station in Terminal 4 of Barajas Airport. Travel time to the airport from Atocha is 25 minutes. BUT if you're not departing from Terminal 4, you may want to choose another option.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your help.