Madrid - A nice place to stay??

Mar 25th, 2001, 03:29 AM
Susan

Madrid - A nice place to stay??

Hi There,
On my journey from Spain thru France, I plan to visit Madrid. Is this wise? Or do I need to visit an area near by? Can anyone assist informing me of places to stay and things to do in that area. I will only have 2 days. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Susan

Mar 25th, 2001, 04:41 AM
Maira

I gather you are going back to Germany and without knowing what type of sightseeing you enjoy, I would take one day to visit El Prado, Plaza Mayor, and Royal Palace. The next day I would take a day trip to Toledo, come back to Madrid and enjoy some tapas bars, and just stroll around the Plaza Mayor area taking it all in.

Without knowing your budget, I would recommend Hotel Mora at about 50USD/double. Across from Museo del Prado, is a great place to stay. Let me know if you need more info. Try doing a search on this forum for more info on the Mora; it is very popular.

When are you going? I'll be there next week.

Mar 25th, 2001, 04:55 AM
rgandy

Susan

I have been to Madrid twice before, the last time some 3 weeks ago for 3 nights/3 days. I feel that your time is best spent in madrid if you only have 3 days, although having been to Toledo before as well, this is also good, but with 2 days I would concentrate on 1 place. Althogh not as attractive as say Barcelona or Seville Madrid is well wortn a visit. As Maria suggests, all the sights mentioned are worth a visit.

If you do have any additional time consider the Thyssen - bornemisza Museum for it's Impressionist collection - it is only 5 mins from the Prado. Otherwise "must do" sights are not that thick - the best of Madrid is probably found at night, with the best bars/tapas bars in Spain, when shuttered streets come alive. The most authentic areas are around Santa Ana square and La Latina, south west of the impressive Plaza Mayor.

For a rest try a visit to Retiro Park, a short 5 mins walk, east of the Prado.

Let me know if you want any tips.

Richard

Mar 25th, 2001, 05:21 AM
Jen

My husband and I stayed at the Reina Victoria on the very charming and lovely Plaza Santa Ana. Don't be fooled by the lobby, the rest of the place is great and the rooms were large. Ask for one overlooking the square.

Definitely go to the Prado Museum and visit Plaza Mayor. You'll love this city for it's vibrancy!

Have fun!

Mar 26th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Judy

Susan,
I don't know your budget, but my husband and I stayed at the Villa Real last year and heartily recommend it. I found it in Karen Brown's book. We loved Madrid; I hope you will, too.
Judy