Search

Madison Berlin now The Mandala

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 11:24 PM
hsv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madison Berlin now The Mandala

As the two Madison Suite Hotels have somewhat of a loyal following around this board (Greetings to you, DAX, in particular), I just wanted to mention that I just noticed that they have been re-branded.

The property on Potsdamer Platz is now <i>The Mandala Hotel</i>.

The property on Friedrichstr. is now <i>The Mandala Suites</i>.

The new website is:

http://www.themandala.de/

On their website a press release claims that the new name reflects the policy of the places better. What's really behind it is a bit unclear to me. It appears that ownership and management remained the same. Probably they had a problem as in Hamburg there is also a Suite Hotel by the name of Madison that evidently is not related to the ones in Berlin. The Hamburg property has been around longer than the ones in Berlin, which might have something to do with this change. This, however, is speculation only.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 06:20 PM
DAX

Thanks for the update hsv. I'm leaving for Mainz tomorrow and dreading the subzero weather. I'd like to ask you more about Berlin condos in the future. I suppose the Regierungsviertel is a good bet but wonder about other areas. I realize you only visit Berlin frequently and not live there, but I bet you know the best way to select an agent usw. I was going to make a stop in Berlin to take a tour with an agent from the internet but decided against it as the temperature is even lower there, besides there is no rush. So far, it doesn't look like I have other opportunities to go to Berlin this year but who knows.

Old Feb 10th, 2006, 11:22 PM
hsv
Original Poster

DAX,

seeing a post of you on a recent other thread I suddenly remembered that you once implied a question about contacting an agent in Berlin, as you did on this thread, if I am not mistaken.

For areas to look at, I have to admit that I am a bit torn:
In the West, Charlottenburg around the Savignyplatz might be an option as it is not as touristy as the new center of town in Mitte and constitutes a somewhat naturally evolved neighbourhood, if you catch my drift.

On the other hand, I like the vibe and change still going on in the Eastern parts a bit better. Mitte therefore is the place I'd seriously consider. The area between &quot;Unter den Linden&quot; and Hackesche Hoefe is quite nice, I think , as there is a lot of the good vibes of a young neighbourhood combined with enough class to please the more settled and good shopping is within walking distance.

A certain fascination lies also with Potsdamer Platz IMHO. While it still has that slightly artificial air about it and throngs of tourists might be a bit annoying, its infrastructure isn't that bad given the shopping mall adjacent to it and the train stations right there to whisk you to places within minutes. I guess the apartments in those new buildings should be pretty nice to some extent, too.

I am not aware of too many real estate agents in Berlin. I was under the impression that there are quite a lot of small agents in the market.

For a renowned big name company catering primarily to the more demanding clients, check out Engels &amp; Voelkers, a nationwide firm with some foreign activities, too.
If you take a look at their website, I suggest you use the German language version as upon a quick check the English language one did not provide as many listings for Berlin as the German one. For a flat, check &quot;Eigentumswohnung&quot;, as I am sure you are aware of anyway.

http://www.engelvoelkers.com/

I think there are still apartments available in the Dom Aquaree on Karl-Liebknechtstr. This is the complex that houses the Radisson SAS hotel close to Berliner Dom and the Museum Island, which is about as prime a location as it can get IMHO (Chancelor Merkel lives a few sidestreets away). If you'd like a modern apartment, check this link:

http://www.domaquaree.de/index.php?S...ction=showHome

Planet Home is a real estate platform that might have some offers, too. To some extent they are affiliated (or co-operate) with one of Germany's largest real estate financing banks, (the now Italian owned) HypoVereinsbank.

http://www.planethome.de/de/index.jsp

Finally, an independent platform that might be worth some investigation as it features a very diverse portfolio of opportunities is

http://www.immobilienscout24.de/

Hope this helps a bit.

Have a nice weekend
hsv
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:36 PM
DAX

Thanks for all those websites! I've been absent from this site as I only check when I'm planning my travel. I'm planning to contact some agents for me to view properties in April. Any advice or insights?

I have been surfing the Immobilienscout24 for a few months and noticed how super slow real estate is in Berlin. Thanks for opening my eyes with the Engelvoelker site. I'm looking for a downtown property that I can neglect or rent out for a while. At this point, part of my enjoyment in Berlin still includes the wonderful hotel facilities &amp; services.

BTW I'm wondering about &quot;Versteigerungsobjekt&quot; which I assume to be a bank-foreclosed property as it's described as zwangversteigert. Do you have an opinion about these properties? Thanks for entertaining my thoughts.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 09:45 AM
hsv
Original Poster

DAX,

Properties which are being &quot;zwangsversteigert&quot; are indeed properties that are being auctioned due to the owners being insolvent.
Their creditors then have the right to apply for their real estate being auctioned in order to generate funds that at least in parts are available for repayment of the resoective debts.
Those objects can be real bargains. You would have to check with the local &quot;Amtsgericht&quot; which are the courts in charge of such affairs. If you are interested in a particular object, you would be required to bid during the session of court.

IMPORTANT: In order to force the court to knock down you would need to provide them with a bank guarantee of the amount you are willing to pay. Check with the court whether they require such statement from a German bank.

Another issue is that you will most likely not be allowed to inspect your target before bidding. In most instances the court should be able to provide you with a resum&eacute; by a terchnical expert, though.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 03:55 AM
DAX

hsv,
Thanks for your invaluable info. I'm learning a lot from you.
If you don't mind, I'd like to communicate with you by email directly. One can only discuss so much on a public board. I would appreciate it if you could send me an email at [email protected]. Thanks again! I'll be heading to Berlin, Dresden &amp; Prague in April.