Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Madeira-Besides Funchal where would you stay?

Old Jul 18th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to get a family vacation to Madeira together for Christmas 2013 and it seems as though most of the places in the Funchal area are already booked. I was looking for a place for myself,hubs and two adult children that would have self-catering. I don't want a hotel or be where the majority of holiday crazies are.
East of Funchal seems to be where I think our family should stay but am confused as to which area?
Does anyone like the Canico area or Garajau? Is there somewhere east of Funchal yet not too far away that you would recommend looking for a rented house/villa,etc. Thanks so much! Everything that I was interested in on places like Holiday Lettings,Booking,.com,etc. are already booked.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 09:19 AM

Hmm you do seem to be stuggling to fix this trip. As I mentioned on your other thread you are going at a very popular time of year. Canico is only 10 - 15 minutes drive to the east of Funchal and is basically an expanding residential suburb (for want of a better word) of the city, with lots of fairly modern villas and apartment blocks clinging to the steep hillside. Nothing wrong with it just nothing to write home about. I must have passed through on the Via Rapida maybe 50 times but never stopped to take a closer look.

If it were me and couldn't get somewhere suitable in Funchal (and had a car), I would look <b>west</b> along the Rapida: Ribeira Brava and Ponta do Sol are charming small towns not too far by road from Funchal. The southwestern coast often get the best of the weater - it can be warm and sunny here when it's cloudy and wet elsewhere on the island. As you are looking for self-catering apartments, I'm afraid I don't have any specific recommendations (other than to "pull the trigger" and book something before it's too late!)
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

I have written emails to so many places and they either are ridiculously expensive(think upwards to 3000 euros a week) because of Christmas/New Years or they are fully booked?
I am looking for something that is self catering,has 3/4 bedrooms,views of the ocean (hopefully?) and possibly a grill outside or fireplace inside.
I went to Stanfords travel bookstore in London on one of my layovers and got the books you recommended along with maps. The western side looks like it is harder to drive with maze like roads as opposed to the eastern side so that is why I am conflicted.
I just didn't want to be in the cluster of hotel/resort combos that we saw in the Canary Islands where there is no vision of the natural beauty of the island.
I have to book something today or my family is going to be missing out on our vacation.Who knew that 5 months out I am late booking? Thanks Gordon!
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 10:16 PM

No need to be concerned about the road to the west of Funchal. As you'll see when you get there, Madeira has an amazing network of good roads that tunnel straight through enormous mountains and traverse huge ravines. Te Via Rapido I referred to is the main highway around the southern half of the island and has been extended greatly over the years. It's a well-maintained 4-lane road which enables you to get around much faster than used to be the case. The twisty mountain roads are still there and are great for excursions into the scenery, but you don't need to rely on them to get from A to B much these days.
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 04:39 AM

I have lived on Madeira for over
18 years and have experienced the fireworks display from all corners. I had the pleasure of experiencing it last year from the PALHEIRO VILLAGE on Madeira. It it by far the best location in Funchal to view and experience it.If you still haven´t booked, check out the Palheiro Village homepage or look via Trip Advisor (Speciality lodging). These are all luxury apartments and villas. Great for a couple or family. Very private. Hope to have helped you.