Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

MAD Barajas - Connection US to MAD to Sevilla - not same record locator!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2023, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, so question, we have to connect from MIA to MAD to SVQ (Sevilla) but Iberia was having issues for days (probably still is) and each time we tried to ticket as one ticket, it would cancel the flight. In any event, we are purchasing the MAD-SVQ-MAD tickets separately on Iberia. We are flying in on AA to and from MAD.

So, do we have to pick up our luggage, exit through customs and then re-enter the airport and check-in again at MAD? different terminals?

OR... can we pick up our luggage and re-check it inside security on to our next destination, if we show we have a ticket to the next flight on Iberia?

Any insight into this dilemma would be appreciated. We will give ourselves enough time either way between flights.

Thanks!
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 05:37 PM
J62

Since AA and Iberia are close partners - oneworld and codeshare partners, my guess is that you will be able to check your bags all the way from MIA to SVQ and you would not see them at MAD...... but... nothing is certain these days..

AA agent at checkin will be the ones to tell you. I would try to connect to aa on chat (easier for me than waiting on phone hold) and tell them your situation and get their advice. but i've found that phone help doesn't always know the on-the-ground situation that a check in agent would....

If MIA airport was handy you could also stop by there before your trip and ask at AA customer service....
Old Jun 6th, 2023, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, that is what I am hoping for! Going to try to book the Iberia domestic segment as an AA flight # to see if then AA can link the records together so we can check all the way through

i may stop by MIA to ask as well, great tip!
Old Jun 6th, 2023, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by budg
Thank you, that is what I am hoping for! Going to try to book the Iberia domestic segment as an AA flight # to see if then AA can link the records together so we can check all the way through

i may stop by MIA to ask as well, great tip!

I had a similar issue flying from MIA to MAD and on to Jerez last March. I had to exit the MAD transit zone, pick up my luggage, and go through security all over again. I wish you luck..let us know how you fare.
Old Jun 6th, 2023, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! looks like this is what we are going to have to do we are just going to give ourselves enough time between flights, just in case.
Old Jun 6th, 2023, 03:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The AA agent at MIA might take pity on you and check the bags through. But normal operating procedure is to only tag the bags to MAD. Can't hurt to ask at check in - I'd check in at the desk not at a kiosk or on-line. (You also might try calling AA to see if they can link the AA and IB PNRs - worth a shot)

Just be glad you aren't flying BA -- w/ separate PNR's they won't even check through BA to BA.
Old Jun 6th, 2023, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Didn’t know that about BA! Yes, I’m hoping that AA at the airport will try to send the bags all the way through. If not then we’ll just have to collect them and go back through security etc etc
Old Jun 6th, 2023, 06:20 PM

Why, Janis, is the "normal" operating procedure to tag bags only to Madrid when connecting in Madrid. Have you had this happen to you manhy times?

I've done this trip many, many times (from Us with connection in barajas and onto another destination in Spain) and never had an issue until this last trip in March 2023. I was on AA with connection to Jerez on Iberia. I was toldl by several AA agents who I spoke to t hat the Miami agent had made a mistake; I should have know enoough to check the luggage tags and ask for ones slated to Jerez.
Old Jun 6th, 2023, 07:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
ekscrunchy: Difference being same or separate PNRs. On the same ticket - absolutely no problem, bags would be checked through. On different tickets - they may or may not.

From the AA website:"Policy Reminder

In September of 2016, AA updated our Baggage Through-Check Policy to be in alignment with our oneworld partners, to reduce baggage mishandlings, and to allow for a better customer experience.
  •  When all flights are on one ticket in the same record locator and a baggage agreement exists with all carriers on the ticket, AA will through check bags to final destination
  •  When flights are on separate tickets and in the same record locator connecting to oneworld carriers & their affiliates, AA will through check bags to the final destination
  •  If other than the above scenarios, read further for separate tickets handling"

and the further info below from the same page:
"4. What if I have separate tickets in separate PNRs for itineraries with American to a oneworld airline?

When there are separate tickets issued in separate PNR’s, customer’s baggage will be checked to the final destination of the American 001 ticket. The customer is responsible for the baggage fees associated on the second ticket when the baggage is re-checked with the oneworld airline. This may involve exiting the secure area to claim and re-check the baggage. International flights may require clearing customs and rechecking on the other airline to the final destination."

​​
Old Jun 6th, 2023, 08:26 PM

I had one ticket on linked carriers, AA and Iberia..no luck..still put me though a lot of angst.......

Next time I will be certain to imploe agent at check in in cse they do not give me the through ticket...