Expat Info - Valencia/Alicante/Sevilla/Granada

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2023, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My partner and I will be in Spain late summer (late Aug-early Sep) on an early scouting trip looking at potential places to retire from the US. Based on a number of factors too lengthy to go into here, we've narrowed this trip down to four destinations:
  • Valencia
  • Alicante
  • Sevilla
  • Granada
We're going to try to spend most of our time in each city trying to absorb the atmosphere and determine which of them appeal to us most. Ahead of time we're hoping to connect with expats who might have ideas on where to go/what to do to experience each city like the locals do, and also for any laudatory or cautionary tales they wish to impart. Thanks!

#spain #valencia #alicante #sevilla #granada
Old Jun 6th, 2023, 02:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have EU citizenship or can you obtain it through ancestry?
Old Jun 7th, 2023, 03:16 AM

We spent a year living in Spain in a small town 30 km north of Malaga and visited all of those places. Based only on visiting only for a few days rather than living there, I would probably choose Granada or Sevilla. Both are fantastic cities. Granada has easy access to the mountains which may be attractive during the sweltering heat of summer.

When in Spain we made a point of NOT connecting with expats, much preferring to interact with the Spanish. Though we did get involved in a Spanish/English language group once a week with the intention of improving our Spanish (and their English).

Cautionary tales? None really we thoroughly enjoyed our time there but decided Spain just wasn't for us as a permanent base. We also did similar in South America - Lima and Buenos Aires
  • If you don't already speak Spanish, learn before you go.
  • Spend a minimum of a month in a place before deciding then go back and spend three months before finally making a permanent move preferably at a different time of year.
  • If buying property, recognise that property law is very different in Spain to where you may be used to, as is the process of buying and selling, taxation etc.
PS Not on your list, but Malaga is a city I would seriously consider. On the coast but with great access to the rest of the country by road and rail. The city has a great vibe and is somewhere I would be happy to return to.
Old Jun 7th, 2023, 03:35 AM

Even if you have EU citizenship, or can obtain the right visa, I hope you can cope with serious (40C+) heat, and drought. That is an area which is increasingly being impacted by the climate crisis.
I think it is something to seriously take into consideration for retirement as heat affects older people more than younger, and you won't have airco (which would just add to the problem anyway), and may have water restrictions.