Search

Macaroons

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Macaroons

I'm missing those delicious macaroons from Laduree. Where can I order something comparable in the US?

Thanks!
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 03:41 PM

I ordered some from www.payard.com
I think it is a NYC bakery. They were for a gift and the person really liked them. FWIW - the spelling is macarons.

I eat one every day whenever I get to Paris. I'm tempted to try making them myself but haven't done it yet.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 03:51 PM

Payard is indeed a NYC bistro/bakery. I LOVE their stuff but have never tried the macarons. Here's the link to them
http://www.payard.com/prodslist8.php
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 04:01 PM
LilRicky

I like the ones from Spruengli, in Zurich, but they will not ship them to the USA!

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I checked out Payard. I saw Dean and Deluca sells the macarons from Payard for $4. more. Good to go to the source.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 04:49 PM
mai

LA Burdick in Boston, MA sells them. The flavors are limited but they're good.

http://www.burdickchocolate.com/
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 05:36 PM

You touched a cord ....there is nothing like homemade macaroons. I do them often, it is really easy, the matter in fact for the holidays I often give them to friends, my doctor, etc.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 05:48 PM

Hi Graziella5b - Any chance that you'd be willing to share your recipe? I really enjoy the ones at Laduree and would love to try making them at home. Thanks!
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 06:15 PM

Macaroons are the ones with coconut, yes?
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:27 PM

LilRicky,

Have you tried this site?

http://www.spruengli.ch/?lang=en&par...00073803342848

I almost ordered from them once. I actually ended up corresponding with a salesperson ready to accommodate, but I changed my mind after I saw the shipping charge (about twice the price of the chocolates as I remember).

I absolutely loved the Spruengli chocolates my husband brought for me from Zurich. It was recommended to him by the natives as the best in town, but as I said, the total price didn't seem worth it to me for an encore.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:32 PM

Lauricelli,

I can certainly appreciate the feeling. Did you like Pierre Herme as much or perhaps better, if you tried?

-e
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:51 PM

I've made them myself before, but they are a little tricky. The can be frustratingly delicate and if you over-fold, you end up with flat, hard discs, but if you under-fold, you end up with poofy meringue cakes that rise way too much. And getting the "frilly feet" to turn out right is important too. All that said, it's well worth taking the time to learn how to make them if you really love them, and people definitely appreciate getting them as gifts! Take a peek here for some good tips:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archive..._chocolat.html
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:43 PM

I have not found anything comparable to the ones from Laduree.

I have ordered some from Payard only because the Paris bakeries I have looked up don't ship them abroad (not even outside the Paris metropolitan area.)

I have also tried ones from Miette at the San Francisco Ferry Terminal. I don't think they ship their products:

http://www.miette.com/product_stories.html#macs
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 10:37 PM

I would be suspicious about getting macarons via mail. I have read that Laduree will not ship them because they only will stay fresh for three or four days, max.

We'll just have to get to Paris again real soon!

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 10:55 PM

Hi sightseer, this is the recipe,

Easy to make, very easy,

1 3/4 cup ground almonds ( I buy sliced almonds and then ground them in the machine.)

1 1/3 cup sugar

3 eggs whites ( I use good organic eggs)

Pinch of salt

1 teaspoon almond extract

Powder sugar

--------------------------------
Combine ground almonds + half of the sugar

Beat eggs whites + salt till stiff

Continue beating ( with electric beater of course)

Gradually sprinkling remaining sugar till mixture becomes firm and gleams. Add almond extract.

Stop using machine.

Add almond sugar mix.
Mix with a spatula .

Line two baking sheet with parchment paper.

Spoon walnut size ( or a little larger) balls on paper

leaving sufficient space between each one.

Dust generously with powdered sugar. Using a wire colander.

Here comes the part that is necessary but I understand some people might say NO,

allow to dry 3 hours at room temperature.

After three hours place in oven pre heated F 300
For some 30 minutes. They should only become very
very light brown during this time.
Inmediately remove from paper, put in serving dish and sprinkle AGAIN generously with powder sugar.

They are really delicious, I read someplace that they were iniatilly created by nuns in the XVIII century. As you see no flour, they are light and for me delicious. They also can be done with children I did them with my grandaugher Francesca who is nine and she was delighted. You cannot go wrong. The three hours are a must ...sorry about that. Happy New Year.

I do not know about coconut, these are Italian Macaroons as far as I know.

Old Dec 31st, 2007, 12:40 AM

"Macaroons are the ones with coconut, yes?"

In Sctland, yes - plus mashed potato, believe it or not...
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 03:01 AM

Here:

http://www.lepicerie.com/catalog/cat...FQ6fHgodtXauPA
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 04:06 AM

WOW,escrunchy if 48 macaroons are $65 dollars, how much would be the home made...?

I can assure you that the home made ones are much better too. Great news, I feel great having given them as presents. Happy New Year.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 04:18 AM

We became familiar with the macaroons made in St. Emilion during a visit. Here is a note from France magazine on the topic:

SAINT-ÉMILION Macaroons have been a specialty in Saint-Emilion since the 17th century, when nuns in a local convent began making them from almonds imported from Italy. Today you can buy macarons at a number of shops, but Mme Blanchez’s are the best. She toasts and grinds her own almonds and has that artisanal touch that makes all the difference. 9 rue Guadet; Tel. 33/5-57-24-72-33.

Gradyghost
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 04:19 AM

Happy New Year, Graziella and everyone else here! The recipients of those home made macaroons are very fortunate indeed! The macaroons from MadMac that I linked above look like mini macaroons...I have not tasted them but have heard that they are excellent. We have a few other bakeries in NYC that make them (Patisserie Madeleine in Chelsea, Bouchon Bakery but I do not know if these do mail order...)

You (the OP, I mean) could also try the Fauchon macaroons (note spelling!) from Neiman Marcus:

As for me, I am trying to find a place for myself on Graziella's gift list!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -