M-7 Construction and road signs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know how the M-7 road construction is going? We are going to Cashel then Blarney via the M-7 and N-8 from Dublin in April. Are there good road signs to the major sites like The Rock of Cashel and Blarney castle? We are going to try to by-pass Cork to get to Blarney. Suggestions?
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 12:08 PM

Go to www.aaroadwatch.ie for updated road info.

Bob
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bob. I'm getting conflicting information about the M-7. On one map website it doesn't mention any construction, on the other it says there is major construction.

Also, are the road signs good to the major attractions.....Rock of Cashel, Blarney Castle, Drombeg stone circle?
Thanks!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:44 AM

bluesmusic:

I can't find any mention of Roadworks on the aaroadwatch site, so I'm not sure what to tell you. Ireland has been building 'bypasses' for the last few years, though and I suspect any roadwork is probably related to that.

The N8, Cork-Dublin road, USED to pass right through Killdare and Cashel. You LITERALLY had to drive right past The Rock, in order to continue on, and it could take 20-30 minutes just to get through town center of EACH town, when traffic was heavy. Now that most of the bypasses are in, you can avoid all that, so I would think that ONE 15-20 minute delay (due to construction)probably wouldn't be a big problem.

You will need to exit the N7/M7 and drive into Cashel, to see the Rock (and also, at Cahir, if you wish to see Cahir Castle and/or the Cottage.

The VILLAGE of Blarney is pretty well signposted (by Irish road sign standard) and you CAN'T miss the Castle once you are in the village -- it pretty well dominates town center.

Drombeg is MUCH more problematical. There ARE directionals in place, but you will want a decent map of the area AND you will need to pay CLOSE attention. If you are coming from the direction of Cork on the N71, turn onto the R597, a bit West of Ross Carberry. If you enter Glandore (about 4 miles beyond Ross Carbery, you have gone TOO far -- by about a mile). I don't know the number of the road you turn off of the R597 onto, but it looks a lot like a narrow, New England backwood lane. You don't travel very far on it, though.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:50 AM

Sorry, I messed that up. --WISH FODOR'S HAD AN EDIT FUNCTION....

If you are coming from the direction of Cork on the N71, turn onto the R597 in Ross Carbery. The turn off to Drombeg is just a bit West of Ross Carberry. If you enter Glandore (about 4 miles beyond Ross Carbery, you have gone TOO far -- by about a mile).

Bob
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 08:57 AM

The by-pass for Cahir and Cashel are complete, so if you want to go to either castle you need to take the exit for Cahir or Cashel and go through the towns rather than head for Cork on the motorway. You really cannot miss either castle. They are huge and on the main streets.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 01:53 PM

If you've seen the Rock and Cahir Castle, Blarney will be a major disappointment. I know people say that if you make it all the way to Ireland, you just MUST kiss the stone, but really, there are very few things in Ireland that are less interesting.

If you must, you can take the N73 at Mitchelstown to Mallow and follow the N20 south to there. Once in Blarney, there is a car park for the castle. If you are there in midsummer, it is likely to be very crowded. This is tour bus central.

Bill