avoiding traffic on castle road and romantic road routes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard that the road from Fussen to Rothenburg OBT (one the "romantic road&quot gets very congested. We'll be driving from the area around Linderhof to R.OBT in mid-afternoon in August. Is there a way to bypass the busy roads to get there faster? How much time should I allot for this drive?

I've heard the same thing about the drive from Rothenburg OBT to Heidelberg--because it's on the "castle road" route, it gets very congested in the summer. We'll also be making this drive on a different day. Is there a way to avoid the congestion by not taking the main roads or something? Or would back roads just take longer? (We don't want to make any stops in between, just get from point to point).

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Huh? Never heard of traffic jams on these roads unless there is an accident or so.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 11:22 AM
ira

Hi mt,

There is no one road. You can go from each of your stops to the other by different routes.

We used the Michelin Map 546 from Fuessen to RodT.

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 11:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I am trying to get my brain around the idea of wanting to drive on "romantic roads" and at the same time "get there faster".
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

It's not that I want to drive on "romantic roads"--it's just that I have read that this stretch from Fussen to Roth., as part of "the" Romantic Road route(with capital R) is a road heavily traveled by tourists. We have a limited amount of time to see a Roth. and Heidel. and so we can't afford to spend more time driving than necessary (if we had more time I am sure it would be lovely to stop at many of the places in between).

I read that traffic sometimes slows to a crawl along this route, but maybe that is not true?
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 12:56 PM

If you are going from R ODT to Fussen or the other way around and you don't want to stop in the little villages along the way like Dinkelsbuhl..... take the autobahn and you can get there as fast as you care to drive. Even from Linderhoff there are ways to get to an autobahn.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Most routing planners on the web will tell you to go from the Linderhof area east to Garmisch, then Autobahn (A) 95 to Munich, A8 to Ulm, and finally A7 north to Rothenburg odT.
But this is not a good idea if you cannot leave earlier than mid-afternoon as you will have to use the heavily congested Middle Ring Road in Munich.

The most easy way would be to take the local road that leads to Linderhof castle until it ends in Reutte. There take Hwy 179 north towards Füssen to finally reach A7 which will take you all the way north to Rothenburg odT.
The total route is some 70km on highways and 220km on motorway A7 which has mostly no speed limits.
3 hours should be possible, 3 1/2 hrs bit more realistic.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Honestly? Get a car with GPS. That way - if you run into any 'stau' (traffic jam) you can have the GPS re-route you, assuming, of course, you can get off the road with the traffic problem...

The A6 can get very busy - often for no apparent reason whatsoever....