Lyon to Brussels--> Brussels Airlines?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Brussels Airlines the best way to get from Lyon to Brussels? Or are their other carriers to consider?
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:56 PM

I've flown with Brussels Airlines to/from Lyon and if you can get a good fare then yes it is probably the best way of getting between the two cities (some *very* low fares available, though with "no-frills" conditions applied - we got round-trip tickets for approx 100 euros per person earlier this year).

I think Air France sometimes has good deals on Lyon/Brussels flights too, though I've never managed to find a good AF fare for my dates.

Alternatively, you can take the TGV (high speed train), which is direct and takes approximately 4 hours but often works out more expensive than flying. I think there are 3 direct TGVs per day.

(There are plenty more trains if you don't mind going via Paris, but for me it's too much hassle having to change stations.)
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:58 AM

Hanl makes very good points. If budget is your absolute priority, then flying may indeed be cheaper.
BUT...if you book well in advance, you might find some good train fares.
Timewise, the difference between flying and TGVing isn't that great when you factor in the time needed to get to and from the airport, check-in times, etc. With the TGV, you can hop on just a minute or two before the train leaves (although I wouldn't cut it that close, I like to be on the train at least 5 minutes before departure).
As for scenery, no contest. I'd much rather see the French countryside whizzing by from my train seat. And as Hanl notes, try to take a direct train rather than changing trains and stations in Paris.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thx so much to both of you. This is exactly the type of information I was looking for. In searching my dates right now, it seems like the fare would be around 65 Euros on Brussels Air (one-way). However, I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet, so the price could vary well go up, and probably will.

I think taking the direct TGV might be the way to go. I'm going to keep my eyes on the ticket prices because I agree that flying (arriving early at the airport and getting to the train station in Brussels) might actually make this a longer journey than via train.

Thx again!
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:39 AM

The standard 2nd class fare on the direct TGV from Bruxelles to Lyon Part Dieu is €103.00. Booked far enough in advance (up to three months allowed) at www.voyages-sncf.com, you can get a Prem's fare of €45. Even though you'll be departing from Belgium, leave France as the default country for ticket retrieval and do NOT choose cancellation insurance. You print your own Prem's ticket.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:47 AM

I agree that if you can get a Prem's fare for the train, snap it up! I've done the journey about a dozen times and have never managed to get a cheap/reduced rate ticket!
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:47 AM

Oops! I reversed your route. Now I see that you're going from Lyon to Brussels. Since I had to note that mistake, this gives me the opportunity to tell you how to book on the SNCF site if you don't read French. Go to www.voyages-sncf.com. Click on the "Train" tab (between the "Accueil" and "Hotel" tabs) at the top of the page. On the new page go to the very top of the screen and find the browser field. Click anywhere in the long URL in that field. Find "LANG=FR" and change it to "LANG=UK". Do not change anything else. Hit the Enter key and you'll be taken to a booking page in English.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:51 AM

The direct TGVs from Lyon Part Dieu to Bruxelles-Midi depart at 07:26, 10:26, 13:56, 15:26, and 16:26.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thx again! I actually do read/speak French, so I can manage the SNCF website. But all of your help is much appreciated, and it's always good to know how to switch it to English, especially since it's not overtly apparent on that website.

I'm going to look for a PREMS fare, indeed. I won't be traveling until Jan '09, so I'll begin looking towards mid October to see if the beginning of January is open yet for purchase. I'd love to snap up a 45-Euro ticket! And printing it ahead of time is key.

I did that for my mother and I from Paris to Reims, and it was super simple!