Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do I get the cheap fare on Thalys Paris-Brussels?

Dec 28th, 2002, 09:46 PM
xxx

This may be repetitious (buried in the replies of another post) but I am trying to find the cheapest fare for a one-way ticket from Paris to Brussels in February.
I am getting quoted 63.50 EUR and have been told that the ticket should actually only be about 23.50-31.50 EUR (non-refundable/non-exchangeable). This is supposedly found by using the "fare wizard" as posted by one of the people on this forum. I don't see any of this and keep getting the same #s. I don't want to get ripped off, so please let me know if I am missing something here. I am accessing the site at www.thalys.com
Thanks!

Dec 29th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Ira

Hi
I tried at www.sncf.com (The French railroad site) and the price for the Thalys train 2nd cl is 63.50 E. (1 1/2 hr ride)
The fare from Paris to Lille Flandres on the TGV is 31.00 E. (1 hr) You then have to take a local train into Brussels at a fare of 20.30 E. (2 hr ride)

Dec 29th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Tom

The fare shown on www.railsaver.com is 46 euro, so it does make you wonder if there are discounts available for tickets bought ahead of time, non-refundable etc.

Dec 29th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Ira

Tom wrote
>The fare shown on www.railsaver.com is 46 euro, ...<
I fear that this is not the Thalys train. It is the TGV to Lille with changes to Brussels.
It is cheaper than the SNCF price, but you have to pay handling charges.

Dec 29th, 2002, 11:12 AM
BTilke

I haven't come across one way tickets for 23.50 and I've taken the Thalys dozens of times. The cheapest ticket I know of is the "mini" 2nd class ticket. in the $50 range. It's actually a round trip price, but the Thalys people don't care if you don't make the return trip (they may care in theory, but the reality is it doesn't make any difference).
If your budget is really tight, take the bus--Eurolines is considerably cheaper than the Thalys (but not as comfortable and the trip takes longer).