Lyon Solo Trip Report - LONNNNG

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first shot at a trip report, please be patient. Be warned…this is the War &Peace version, I’ll be more economical next time, I promise.

Trip was a “Friday night leave (Oct 14) /Wednesday afternoon return home (Oct 19)” to Lyon, with a side trip to Chambery. Flight from Toronto to CDG, TGV to/from Lyon, local train to Chambery. TGV and hotel booked via SNCF.

I’ll group it around themes: Getting There, Hotel, Touring and Food, Web Sites. I hope that I can answer the typical questions Fodorites ask. I speak French and try to operate in that language as much as possible, so most language issues didn’t apply.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Getting There Part 1 (Paris<->Lyon)
„³ Air Canada to Terminal 2A, Saturday 9:30 AM. Baggage handlers were on strike, so people corresponding had to get their own bags. I did carry on only (1 small piece of luggage, 1 small over the shoulder bag). Approximate 10 min wait for passport check, all they want is form you filled out on plane plus quick glance at passport. Walk thru exit that says ¡¥nothing to declare¡¦, then into main terminal.
„³ There are multiple Relay stores. Good place to get your mags, maps. Also picked up carte d¡¦appel (phone card), tell them it is for ¡¥cabine¡¦ and ¡¥France¡¦
„³ Walked to TGV/RER station (just beyond 2D). Takes about 10-15 mins.
„³ Passed AMEX currency exchange and multiple Roisseybus ticket machines. Don¡¦t think they take North American credit cards or cash
„³ Washrooms top floor of train station, no charge
„³ From CDG took TGV 1st Class to Lyon Part-Dieu (Leave 13:11 arrive 15:05)
„³ Bought TGV tickets online. PREMs are low cost, but non-exchangeable. Printed them at home. Cost 50E each way.
„³ Big board at railway terminal tells you what platform it leaves from. Trains were all on time. There are also TV screens at the platforms that tell you where your railway car will be (e.g. First Class Car 1 = Letter ¡¥U¡¦) Then you go stand under the ¡¥U¡¦ sign
„³ For trip to Lyon, there was only one 1st Class Car. When you look on your PREM, you will see Voiture (car) and Place (seat). One the side of each car there will be a large 1 (in Red) or 2 (in green) so you know the class.
„³ I figured out how seat numbering works, it is by window. I had ticket 61 and could not see how there could be 61 seats in the car. Turns out the 6 stand for the 6th window (on both sides of the car). So there would be single seats 61 and 62 and one side of the car, doubles seats 63 64 and 65 66 on the other side.
„³ There was plenty of storage above the seats for my luggage
„³ Seats are comfortable, tray for food. Smooth and fast ride
„³ On the trip to Lyon, no one checked my ticket, was checked on way back to CDG
„³ No food service, must go to bar car to get snacks and drinks
„³ Return trip from Lyon to Paris, leaves 6:20 AM, arrive 8:34 AM
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Getting Around Lyon
„³ Based my hotel location, used the TCL (Metro) a lot. Signs are the red TCL letters
„³ Single ticket 1.50E, carnet (10 tickets) is 11.90E. There is also a 38E 3-day pass that provides metro and a lot of free entries and discounts. Available at tourist bureau
„³ Ticket machines take VISA, but only VISA with chip. So used cash (coins only). There are outlets that sell them, but none that I found in the train station and had no interest in going exploring along street. So used coins. Website gives locations.
„³ Metro system is unmanned. At some stations that are gates that only slide open when insert tickets (keep them just in case). At others, just a pedestal with ticket stamping machine. Don¡¦t need ticket for exit, but keep in case stopped.
„³ Easy to use. System and area maps at stations. Like Paris, need to know endpoint direction
„³ If you are going to Fourviere Hill and want to use Funiculaire (tram), use another metro ticket. Note that there are two funiculaires leaving from Vieux Lyon Metro station
„³ Trains were very regular, never more than 5 minutes between
„³ There is a Metro station right at train station. There is a fair amount of walking to get to certain connection points underground, there are escalators and stairs (but no mountains to climb)

Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Getting There Part 2 (Lyon<->Chambery)
„³ Part Dieu has lots of ticket purchase machines. For SNCF, TGV, TER, etc¡KBUT, they require credit cards with chips, and since I had VISA and AMEX, no way to buy using these so went to ticket office. Credit card worked on third swipe. Once again bought 1st Class return
„³ Big board will tell you what platform to use, they are grouped in two¡¦s by letter (e.g. A/B, C/D,etc..). You need to go upstairs to platform. At bottom of stairs will be a yellow machine. You must stick in your ticket and it will stamp it.
„³ There were several 1st Class cars on the train. As with TGV there will be a 1 or 2 on the side of each train. On your ticket will also be the car #, on the side of each car is a LCD display with the car number.
„³ Same storage plan as TGV, bar car, ticket was only checked on the way back

Hotel
„³ Opened account with SNCF (French Railway Company). Used their website to book a hotel (after checking Trip Advisor and others)
„³ Hotel Citadine Part Dieux, Room 624, rate was 45E for Sat/sun, 64E for Mon/Tues, total cost from SNCF was 241E
„³ Hotel is across from back parking lot of Part Dieu TGV/railway station. Note that there is more than one railway station in Lyon
„³ Did not use restaurant at hotel
„³ 6-8 person elevator
„³ TV with ~ 10 channels: 2 German, CNN, and rest French. Has alarm ¡¥clock¡¦ built-in
„³ Mini-bar but never used
„³ If early morning checkout may need to use phone at desk to get night staff
„³ On check-in they will take copy of credit card for incidentals, write down info from passport
„³ Two single beds, mattress was thick foam (fine for comfort)
„³ Coffee machine in room, no Noise, shower is hand held, towels no prob
„³ Note for powering personal items: I had one item that was 120V/220V and another that was 120V only. Used transformer for 120V item BUT outlets had a third prong coming out of them, so transformer could not plug in. Used the adapter I had for the 120/220 item and added it to the transformer, everything OK after that
„³ Would I stay there again? Probably Yes. Price was great, clean, quiet, comfort fine. Only reason to change would be a bit closer to ¡¥downtown¡¦, but this is qualified by fact I was 500¡¦ from train station
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Premiere Journee
I do a double check on flight time and see that oops, I’m leaving at 8:10 not 10:10. Panic drive to airport, followed by decompression on the plane. Bland food (I know this will change!),arrive CDG on time, 9: 40AM. As plane lands feel excitement of being in Paris but some melancholy of ‘being’ there. Carry-on only worked out well, the handlers are on strike. Quick stops at Relay stores to stock up then a walk from 2A to TGV/RER. I look for a bakery, but nothing until I get to the train station: ‘Paul Since 1889’. That’ll fit the bill! Finally the first pain au chocolat (1.85E) and a Vittel (3E). I’ve arrived. 11AM, couple of hours to kill before train. I hope to see something of Paris from the TGV (Sacre Coeur?) but alas, nothing. The scenery starts out fairly bleak, power lines, large pastures, but as we get closer to Lyon, the scenery becomes rolling hills, small farms with walls of vine-covered stone, and little villages with their church steeples rising above the houses. The plan of adjusting sleep for time zones before leaving not especially good, the rocking of the train and lack of sleep and cows bring on a Kate/Luc moment…and yes, I sat beside a scruffy Frenchman on the plane…( if you don’t know, rent “French Kiss  ). I see my first castle at 2:40

First and last stop is Lyon/Part-Dieu, on time. Geographic confusion, buy some maps, then out the back doors of the station and wow, the hotel is 100 yards away. Drop stuff off, back to Metro station outside other entrance of station, figure out how to get tickets, and I’m off to explore Lyon. I go to the main square of the city, Place Bellecour. It is a huge, ‘gravel’ filled, lots of people there, an African group playing at one end, and a brass band at the other. I had no idea what to expect (coming in to City were graffitied buildings). I look around and see “Hausseman-style’ stone buildings, lots of trees and pedestrian only streets. I decide I may like this place! There is also a great view of Fourviere Hill and its cathedral (more on that later). The tourist bureau is there and they are helpful, lots of pamphlets and they give guided tours (need to pre-book these). I buy a tour book.

My trip research kept coming up with Vieux-Lyon (Old Lyon), so I take the 5-10 minute walk from the Place over Bonaparte Bridge to Vieux-Lyon. This is a great area. The very old (12th-14th) St Jean cathedral is there, I save the interior for later, but check out the ruins behind it (even older). The main street is Rue St Jean, here, like the other streets in this area, it is a cobble stoned, with Middle-Age and Renaissance buildings preserved, statues in nooks, lanterns for lights, some with engravings above their doors, the bottom housing shops that make use of the architecture, and offering a lot of interesting crafts, antiquarian books , prints, foodstuffs, etc. As well here are lots of bistros with outdoor seating. I know I will be back (and I did, every day)

It’s near dinner time, ~7PM. Another fodorite recommended La Machonnerie, it’s the opposite direction form the cathedral in the old town, I go but it is fully booked (and closed Sundays…I will be back though). I walk a bit around this neighborhood also, this is really interesting also, cobblestoned streets along the side of the main Fourviere hill. I see a place offering puppets (guignol) shows, Lyon is famous for inventing this. They have an evening ‘adult’ show, I wonder what that means. OK I’m hungry. I want some basic Bistro-style food, so I go a Michelin recommendation, Bistro Georges. I decide to walk, it’s warm, I’ll go along the Saone river…it was a bit longer walk than I had planned. But, the river views were great, buildings and pedestrian bridge lit up, full moon, the occasional Bateau Mouche, very relaxing way to spend a first evening of holidays…did I say it was a long walk when you are tired? I cross over the Saone at Place Verdun but have trouble finding the place, since there is a huge RER/Metro/Tramway station between both sides of the street. Walk around it and there is was. It has a ‘belle époque’ look about it (since 1836) with high ceilings, a massive room (no pillars) holding up to 600 people. It’s busy. I go to the bar and have my first of many kirs this trip. 15 minutes later, I’m at the table. My first waiter, in a suit, takes my order, returns with an ice bucket and the bottles, then the rest of the evening with another wait person. The meal:
 Kir 2.70E
 ½ Badoit 2.65E
 ½ Sancerre St Pierre – Prieur 2004 13.50E
 Terrine Foie de Volaile Maison a l’ancienne (with lettuce, pickle , baby tomato, aspic and cooked onions) 6.50E
 Sole Meuniere (basic, comes with boiled potatoes) 21.50E
 Feuillantin Chocolat et Praline (praline base, chocolate mouse, then covered in chocolate shell..OMG!) E5.50
 Café Crème 1.65E
The specialty seems to be seafood. The waitperson brought out my cooked fish to show it to me, then said he was then going to prepare it (de-bone), funny. A Jazz/swing quartet begins to play at 9 PM, the place is packed until I leave. People are dressed casual, I see a man with a dog, and there people smoking but not noticeable . This was a perfect meal, good tasty, crisp professional service, and a perfect way to end the day.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Deuxieme Journee

I go to the train station because, yes, there is a Paul here also! I try a pain chocolat aux amandes (almonds, OMG again, my new breakfast favorite) and an OJ for 3.95E, off to Croix Rousse neighborhood,Metro Hotel de Ville. Out of the exit are the Opera House and the back of Hotel de Ville. Both interesting buildings worth pictures. Place Louis Pradel is a short walk away and it is large, with sculptures, fountain and views down to the river. I wander around, there are not a lot of tourists, and I see people living their day to day lives (picking up baguettes). I stumble onto Place Sathonay, a small tree lined square with a statue, here mothers and their children play, older retired men sit on park benches chatting…the leaves are changing color, I rank this my favorite square so far.

I wind my way back to Place des Terreaux. What a great square. Pedestrian only in the middle, bounded by Hotel de Ville, Art Museum and two other buildings, a fountain designed by the same man who did the Statue of Liberty, multiple cafes with their chairs tables and umbrellas set up, each café with its own unique furnishings. I stop for quick lunch at Cafe Leffe (which has a reduced menu today):
 Steak Frites
 Leffe Blonde beer 50CL
 Tarte Mirabelle (white grapes?) VG
 Total is 21.90E

I decide to have a look into the courtyard of the Musee des Beaux Arts. Old building, interesting corridors and there is a central garden with sculptures (incl. Rodin). Back to tourist bureau for tour. Kill time by walking down pedestrian street Rue Republique. I look for washroom (try MacDO but they have numbered locks on the door). I never did see any public toilets. This street is quite scenic, with a large shallow pool with water jets, and a merry-go-round with mothers and their kids.

I take the Vieux Lyon tour, about 15 people, 9E. We go over Napoleon Bridge (noted the well situated café on the ‘new’ side of the bridge, overlooking bridge, river, cathedral). We visit the cathedral, arriving in time to go inside and see the very large and intricate renaissance clock chime (only does 4 times a day). Nice stained glass also. I see there is a free organ concert at 6PM, but never made it The tour is very good, you get the history of the neighborhood and buildings, and they take you through traboules, which are the behind doors alleyways/tunnels that are the entrances to the old buildings (no street level access). After the tour, I decide to try a recommended patisserie, La Marquise on rue St Jean. I have a Choux a la Crème and diet coke 3.90E. The treat is two pieces of pastry with a stuffing of crème. OMG, this is almost the only reason needed for the trip. How do they make such delicious cream?? Vieux Lyon is very busy on weekends, the crowds are large. More wandering, then dinner. Lyon is known for its ‘bouchons’, restaurants that serve traditional local foods. But, there is some controversy with experts debating what a real bouchon should serve and talk of licensing the ‘real ones’. I decide on something basic in the Old town. On a cross street with St Jean, are many restaurant, I settle on Panier A Salade. The meal:
 Kir 5E
 ½ Badoit 3.50E
 Terrine Canard aux pruneaux et noix (very good) 14E
 Filet Dorade sauce veloute (bream in butter, oil,cream ?) 12E

I’m not overly impressed with the meal, the fish is not to my liking, and the service was a bit slow. There are locals eating here though.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Troisieme Journee

Breakfast at Paul’s is not a Petit Dejeuner: pain chocolat amandes, OJ, and a café (espresso) for 3.30E. You get two sugar cubes with the coffee, it is not bitter at all.
Today’s main event will be a train trip to the base of the Alps. I used the calling card to contact my ‘Alps’ person. You put the card in, it tells you how many units you have (started with 50), leave it in, call, then you’ll see how many used. A 5 minute call was about 4 units.

I try buying the tickets using one of the many ticket machines at the station. I get to payment, and it refuses my card. I give up and go to the ticket bureau. The lady explains that you need a card with a ‘chip’. I get 1srt Class return ticket to Chambery.
I go to the Credit Lyonnais bank ATM just outside the station. My first Credit Union ATM card doesn’t work, second (main bank) one does. Both are on Plus network. I get the same rate I was charged at the bank counter back home, no other charges.
Since this will be in the afternoon, I decide I can spend a little more time exploring Croix Rousse, which is the other main mountain (after Fourviere) where the historical silk industry thrived. I go to metro Croix Rousse, which is near/at the top of the hill. There are no tourists around. From the Metro, take Rue Pierre Plante. You get a super view over the city. Lyon reminded me a lot of Montmartre in Paris. On the side of the hills there are many stairways going down, lit by lanterns, and I find it very picturesque. Take steps down to Colomes, then Neyret, then left turn and wow, another nice view. I’m going to Amphitheatre des 3 Gaulles. Lyon is over 2000 years old, and was an important Roman capitol. This roman amphitheater was discovered 50 years ago, and is the site where the first 170 Christians were thrown to the lions. You can’t go in, but you can sense the history. Weirdly, the place seemed to be only inhabited by black cats. Walk back to Metro Hotel de Ville by going down stairs and passing thru Place des Terraux, Rue Republique leads away from the metro station and was worth going down.

Back at train station, lunch for the train from Paul:
 1L evian 2.70E
 pain chocolat au amendes E1.70
 Lyonnais baguette (salami) E7.90
The first part of the train trip is thru a lot of Lyon rail yards, not pretty at all. But as you get further away, the countryside improves. Soon there are higher and higher mountains, and the train passes thru narrow gorges and tunnels. One very interesting little town I would go visit is Le Pin Le Lac: small town that advertises its beach, which is at a large lake at bottom of an imposing mountain. What I also liked was the train passing within 15’ of people’s backyards, in old villages of a couple of houses. A definite ‘non-mainline’ trip. Once I had done my business in Chambery, back to Lyon. Once again, off to Vieux Lyon.

I finally figured out where the ‘strange’ bikes with the big fenders came from. In front of the cathedral, you can use a machine to rent a bike. Once you pay it releases a bike from the bike stand. Nice way to get around. It’s Monday, and I notice crowds are a lot smaller and some shops are closed. Around 7;30 PM, go back to Machonnerie. The chef/owner welcomes me, and he is very friendly, as is everyone there.
I ask for a kir, but he suggest his version of it, a gnafron. It’s a kir “punched up” with some marc of Bourgogne, it’s good and strong. I order the 29E menu.

 Gnafron E3.05
 29E menu:
o Bread tray with different types, plus some home made loaf from the chef
o Salade lyonnais (greens, vinegar dressing bread crumbs, all in a big bowl
o Patte de Caillon sauce tartare : Breaded pigs feet, lots of bones, Mustard sauce in pot, nice, really sticky fat, not much meat
o Pochon de soupes au canuts is super soup, waiter brings tureen to table and ladles out. Very tasty, told me to guess what was in it and would tell me later. Bread, cheese, onions, cream, and xxx.
o Quenelles de brochet maison, sauce écrevisse en cocotte. Pike dumplings, I found a bit too fishy. Nice sauce. Came with whole 6” long crayfish lying on plate. Eat/don’t eat? No meat on it so left it to stare at me.
o For desert, a plate of glace cassis, then waiter came over with a mini barrel of marc and sprinkled some on. Once done, came back and gave it another shot.
 1/2L San Pellegrino E3.05
 Carafe (sort of) of Beaujolais village red, in a smaller than regular bottle, no label, ~44CL E9.50
What a meal. I left full, bit tipsy, but feeling that I had spent an evening with someone who is very proud of their food, and very happy to share with their customers.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Quatrieme Journee

There is a post office about two blocks from train station, so go to take care of postcards. Today’s exploration will be of the main hill overlooking the town, Fourviere. Site of the original roman city as well of Notre Dame cathedral: the modern and the ancient. Take subway to Vieux Lyon stop, then transfer to the Fourviere funicular. You arrive at the cathedral. It is not ancient, built in the 1870s as a thank you for Lyon not being invaded by the Prussians. I found it “modern”, worth a look but not outstanding. The Thomas Beckett chapel is older and there are thank you plaques on the wall which is neat. The crypt nothing special, the treasury was OK. There are of course very nice views over the city behind the church. Once outside took the Parc des Hauteurs route to wind around the hill top. Nice, but would have been much better if done during peak garden periods. There are nice gardens, trees and views. Took rue Jaricot then Roger Radisson, This route cause me to miss the remains of the roman aqueduct, oops. There are some nice older scenic buildings along this route, and eventually you reach the roman theatre. Very impressive. They have restored the theatre and now hold open air performances. This area is very scenic, and the ruins/gardens are definitely worth seeing and picnicking at. From the bottom of the theater exit and walk backup the hill to the top, where the entrance to the Roman museum is, There is a nice place to eat on the way up, with chairs and table overlooking the neighborhood.
Entrance to the museum is 3.80E, which included a special exhibit on the original roman town Lugdunum. If you like roman artifacts, this is THE place for you. It’s massive, in 4 levels that you walk down via winding ramp. Hugh chunks of engrave stones, memorial stones, everyday items, pottery, weapons, and especially stunning mosaics. I was romaned out.
Once done, to get back to Old town from here, via Montee St Barthelemy. Note that there are many winding walks up/down the hill. They are steep, so I decided to funicular up, but walk down the one recommended in the guide book. It’s worth it. Views, old buildings, and narrow staircases leading straight down to Old Town. You arrive at the other end of the Old Town (versus St Jean Cathedral), so it’s a nice place to start a walk back to the cathedral. I stop at the recommended Narbonne (since 1880) ice cream outlet, which is near Place du Change, towards the river. Try a chocolat and cassis cone 3.5E and go eat it on a bench by the river. As I walk back on St Jean, I was walking by La Marquise Patisserie, to have..a Marquise. Yes, it was very good, sort of a chocolate cake (I would have had another ‘choux’ but there were none. I am sad)

Last full day, so time to do a little souvenir shopping. Near La Machonnerie, on Rue St Georges there is a store, Les Lutins de Lugdunum, that sells these odd homemade (from Ardeche) garden gnomes in all sizes. 27 E for a couple of 2” high ones. Wrapped very nicely of course! From there to Bellecour and down the pedestrian street near the tourist bureau. Hit the Nicolas store for a bottle of wine, Occitanne for some bath stuff, and the pharmacy from some Parfenac, which is a great all purpose cream for cuts, sunburns, etc..I find out it is now under prescription, so get weaker equivalent. Back to hotel until 7PM
It’s raining. I had in my mind that I wanted to try a Bocuse restaurant, and since L’Est was only one metro stop from the train station, and had good reviews, that was the one. As you exit Metro Brotteaux, you see the old train station, now being renovated. L’Est’s entrance is on this side of the station. 7:30 PM, there place is not full, slowly, families, business men, husband and wives and other singlets start coming in. It’s dark outside, it’s raining, the waiters in their white aprons are bustling about, and I decide this is a perfect setting for a good meal. The restaurant is not stuffy at all, people are dressed from casual to less so, people reading newspapers at their tables… I decide to go with a la carte tonight, I had heard of poulet de bresse, and they had it on the menu. I heard recently that France is going to do an “AOC” on chickens, like they do for wines…so you know where your chicken is from! The meal:
 Kir E3.80
 bread with olives and onions
 ½ badoit E3.30
 glass of Crozes Hermitage (bit rough at beginning) E4.30
 Terrine de canard with bread, lettuce and weed, cooked onion VG+ E9.80
 Volailes de Brest, simple, good, not a lot of meat, 2 pieces (asked breast) E19.00
 Large bowl with salad, basic green + O&V
 Cooked potatoes in dish, Brought metal tray, lit candles and used to keep potatoe dish warm
 Tarte de poirreau,(pear) wow could taste butter in the crust E5.20
 Café E2.10
Every table had wine bucket, the napkins embroidered with Est logo. I leave well fed, happy and congratulating myself on saving this for the last night.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Cinquieme Journee

The trip home. Up at 5AM, check out, walk to station, and grab a Paul breakfast, up to tracks. Train is fairly full, there is one stop at Marne before CDG. Once there I take the elevator up form the tracks. I pick the level for 2A, and find that I end up at the top level, where crowds of people are confused, jostling to find shuttles. I decide no way, I walk ed this last time, so go down one level, go to Paul¡¦s (how many times is this!!), then walk to 2A in about 10 minutes¡K30 minutes in line for check-in counter, then security, which took at most 10 mins. Once in, I check out the duty free, of which I only find the wine store interesting because it also has a food section. Check out foes gras, terrine de canard, caviar, cooked sausage. Decide it is a bit pricey, plus not sure what customs will say at the other end. Go to gate. Eventually figure out they changes gates on me and I heard no announcement. On plane, bit sad to day goodbye, but I know I will be back.

Summary

Lyon, I liked it. It¡¦s not difficult to get to, prices for hotels and meals I found quite reasonable. There is plenty to see, in my 3 full days I think I did a fairly good overview of the city. I didn¡¦t do a lot of museums, no river cruise, no outdoor plays. I would go back to walk around some of the neighborhoods, and try more of the restaurants. I think Lyon is a city you can ¡§do¡¨ and then return for the food, and use it for a base to see more of the Rhone-Alps. I would bring less dressy clothes next time ƒº

Trip Photos

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...5ni7p&Ux=1

Web sites:

CDG (how to get from 2A to TGV):
http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/f...naux/plans.htm

SNCF (book hotel ¡V need account, and train schedules):
http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

TGV tickets and schedule:
http://www.tgv.com/

Via Michelin for restaurant suggestions and basic map of Lyon (need account, hotel locations):
http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...MaHomePage.htm

Lyon Metro:
http://www.tcl.fr/

Lyon Tourism Site:
http://www.lyon-france.com/page/p-53...dherent_type-6

Paul Bocuse Restaurants L¡¦Est
http://www.bocuse.com/us/licensed/default.htm

Brasserie Georges - 30 Cours de Verdun
http://www.brasseriegeorges.com/site/site.php

La Machonnerie - 36 rue Tramassac
www.lamachonnerie.com

Panier a Salade -1 Place Neuve St Jean

La Marquise ¡V 37 rue St Jean

Les Lutins de Lugdunum ¡V 2 Rue Saint Georges

Paul (patisserie, boulangerie..):
http://www.paul.ma/pain.htm

Musee Gallo-Romain
http://www.musee-gallo-romain.com/

Musee des beaux-Arts
http://www.on-frame.com/en/lyon/

Other Sites:
http://www.leondelyon.com/

http://www.georgesblanc.com/fr/navigation.htm

http://www.naviginter.fr/promenades.htm

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...Lyon-BR-1.html

http://www.petitpaume.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1...es-Hotels.html

Old Nov 4th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the trip report Michel_Paris. It brought back fond memories of my two visits to Lyon. I also think it's a great city, especially for dining.

The trip report whetted my travel appetite too. I'm heading back to France in February. I was considering fitting in a couple of days in Lyon. Now I'm certain I'll have to go back.

Great photos too!
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi indy, thanks for you comments on my inaugural report.

I've been to Paris many times, and decide it was time for change, and, linking French cusine and hearing good things about Lyon,picked it. My sister who lived in France for 2 years and traveld extensively, was surprised, since her experience with it had been overnighting on the way thru and she did not think it anything special. I'm glad she was wrong! I'm also thinking there are some very interesting off the beaten track areas that can be explored from Lyon, and I know I will plan a trip back.