Old Jan 31st, 2008, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Paris to Lyon

I'm hoping someone can help me with the following:

I'm arriving at CDG airport and want to take the train to Lyon:

how do I get to the train station?

How much time should I allow?

Can I book the train ticket in advance from North America?

Arriving in Lyon:

What's the name of the station?

Does anyone know of a hotel that has a car rental counter at the hotel?

Many thanks
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 12:02 PM

Hi there oneword....I have limited knowledge, but I was concidring that route as well and there are some very knowledgeable ppl such as StCirq, StuDudley, AnselmeAdorne,to name only a small few. One site that could be of interest as far as the rail is concerned is www.raileurope.com also www.bahn.de I'm sure you will get some very valuable info such as I did. There are car rentals availabe if I recall correctly at the train station in Lyon.
Good luck and dont forget "google" can be your best research tool as well. Bon Voyage!
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 12:10 PM

I did that trip in Nov 2005. The TGV station is located at the airport, beyond Terminal 2E. It is located in the same area as the RER station, follow the train signs.

You board there, exit at Part-Dieu station in Lyon. Trip is ~2.5 hrs.

At Part-Dieu you can access metro from there. This area is a bit away from central Lyon (Old Town) if you were to walk.

I bought my ticket while sitting at my desk in Toronto, and printed it out here. Look for PREM tickets, wich are very low cost, but non-refundable tickets. If you do a search for MorganB, he did a fine thread on buying tickets.

Lyon is great.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 12:17 PM

I stayed at a hotel right across the street from the station. Cheap (~60E a night), nothing fancy, part of a chain (Citadine Part Dieu). I booked it as a package deal on the SNCF site (rail+hotel). From Part-Dieu I also took a day trip into the Alps. Did not rent a car since I planned only to visit Lyon.

Checked my notes, station was beyond 2D at CDG. Landed at 2A, then ~15 minute walk. Left CDG at 13:00 arrived at 15:00. Retunr left 6:20 AM and arrived CDG 8:30 AM. Ticket was 50E one way.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 12:17 PM

Michel....so sorry I couldn't remember your stage name when I posted, but you gave me great info on that subject as well. Sorry for the omission...Cathy
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 12:19 PM

FYI...There is also another train station called Perrache. TGV also stops there. It's a bit more central.

Hi ctoner!
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 01:08 PM

The TGV station at CDG is below Terminal 2. If you arrive at Terminal 1, take the free CDGVAL driverless shuttle train from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2.

TGVs that go directly from CDG to Lyon only stop at Lyon Part Dieu. TGVs that depart from Gare de Lyon in Paris stop at both Lyon Part Dieu and Lyon-Perrache.

I would allow a MINIMUM of two hours between your scheduled arrival at CDG and the train's departure time.

If you book well in advance (up to 90 days allowed) at www.voyages-sncf.com, you can get a PREM'S (discount) fare and print the ticket yourself. However, these tickets are non-exchangeable and non-refundable so you have to build in a good cushion to be sure you don't miss your train. Furthermore, the SNCF site has recently been revised and it is no longer possible to book PREM'S on the English version. You will be bumped to the RailEurope site where no discount fares are sold.

You can book standard fare tickets on the RailEurope site. They are refundable and exchangeable so if your plane is late, you could easily exchange your ticket for a later train.

Direct trains from CDG to Lyon Part Dieu depart at 06:54, 07:25, 08:21, 09:25, 12:58, and 13:54. Another option is to depart at 10:27 and go to Massy, changing there to another TGV that goes to Part Dieu and Perrache. See the timetables at www.bahn.de. Enter Aeroport Paris-Charles de Gaulle TGV as your departure point. After you get summary timetables, click on "Details for all" to see the connecting points, if any.

Even if you know French, there are some special things to take into account when booking a PREM'S fare. If you want to try it, I'll be happy to give you the details.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 01:42 PM

I would book directly on www.sncf.com, not RailEurope. If you or someone else reads French, stay on the French site, or else you'll get redirected to RailEurope.

As noted above, the TGV station is right there at the airport. You can google and find good maps of the layout of CDG so you have an idea ahead of time where it is.

I've never, ever seen a hotel in France that has a car rental counter right there at the hotel. Why would you need that? You should arrange your car rental before you leave for France, anyway, not just go to a car rental place and get one. Best place to start is www.autoeurope.com, but I'd advise you to call them when it comes time to actually arrange the rental - 1-800-223-5555.

You won't need a car in Lyon, in case that's what you're thinking. It has a great metro system. And there are bike rental stands where you can rent a bike for something like 10 euro a day.

Enjoy Lyon, it's a lovely city.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 02:05 PM

Lyon in addition to the great metro system also has great bus and tram systems.

We arrived from Paris at the Perrache station, walked about a block and a half to our hotel La Residence and were delighted with our room, the breakfast, the convenience, the service. We only had to use publc transport to go to outlying areas and "up the hill" to Notre dame.

I, too have neveer seen an auto rental desk in any hotel in France or in any other country! We just taxied to the airport and picked up the car we had reserved in the US before departure. We used Nova Car Rentals and were more than satisfied with their service and their price , which was several hundred dollars under the AutoEurope price.

I would allow at least 2 hours after arrival before booking a train from CDG, especially if you have checked luggage or land at a spot that they use buses to tranfer you from the plane to the terminal!It took over 30 minutes from the time we landed to get on the bus and arrive at the terminal and immigration a few months ago.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information all, looks like I've got the info on the trains I need.

I want to get a car at the hotel because I figure I'll arrive from NA, train it to Lyon and take a cab to a hotel, relax for a day and then head out from the hotel. I'm photographing for two weeks throughout the south of France and getting the car from the hotel would be easiest as i arrive back in Lyon 2 weeks later, meet some friends and the next day, take the train to Switzerland so, I could just pick up and drop off there.

I'm surprised no one's ever seen a car rental counter in a hotel. I was in Orland last week and Enterprise had a counter in the Clarion. I do know there is a hotel in Lyon that has a car rental counter as I found it on Expedia but, didn't bookmark it and can't find it again.

Either way, maybe I'll get one at the Part Dieu station. Anyone recommend a reasonable and clean hotel near this station?

Thanks,

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM

I live in a suburb of Orlando. I can think of at least 6 car rental places in less than a mile from my house. France IS NOT Orlando! Part Dieu is way away from the best parts of Lyon.

Why would it be easier to get a car in the center of Lyon, a very busy city, than at the airport? Why would it be easier to drive back to Lyon rather than taking a train from your last stop and dropping the car there?