Search

Lyon or Annecy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2021, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lyon or Annecy

Hi there,

I have 4-5 extra days after Chamonix and trekking Mont Blanc. If you had to choose between Annecy and Lyon to spend your remaining time, which place would you choose? I do know that they are different places and will have different feels, but I’d like to hear opinions. Thanks for offering them,

Cathy
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 04:00 PM

After the Mont Blanc area - I would want some different "scenery" - thus Lyon. We love Annecy because it is at the edge of the Alps and you can head east & southeast and see some beautiful mountain scenery. But Annecy itself is smaller than you might think. Doing the canal region is only about a 45 min visit before you start realizing that you are re-tracing your steps. If you are a "shopper" it will take longer. We spent 2 weeks in Talloires and 1 week in the Chamonix/Mont Blanc region (our gite had a view of Mt Blanc).

Lyon is totally different. Attached is my Lyon itinerary, and my Alps itinerary (look for the Annecy & the Mt Blanc sections).

Stu Dudley
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Lyon.doc (26.0 KB, 251 views)
File Type: doc
Alps.doc (69.0 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by StuDudley; Nov 19th, 2021 at 04:02 PM.
Old Nov 20th, 2021, 02:44 AM

As Above. Annecy can easily be visited in less than 1 day.
Lyon has much more to offer: lovely old citiy center, important Roman excavations (at Lyon and Vienne), tons of museums....
Lyon is furthermore a good base for day trips to Burgundy, Orange, Avignon, etc.
Old Nov 20th, 2021, 05:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If you had not mentioned Chamonix, I would have said that I couldn't choose between the two because they don't play in the same league. But Annecy is too much like Chamonix (and the setting of Chamonix is more spectacular), so the only possible reply is LYON. And yet I am not a great fan of Lyon, but that's probably only because I am a Parisian and "anything Lyon can do, Paris can do better."
Old Nov 20th, 2021, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. This is exactly what I thought.
Old Nov 20th, 2021, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

kerouac haha, thank you
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 05:52 AM

Je préfère les vestiges romains de Lugdunum à ceux de Lutetia.
Le Musée Lyonnais d'Histoire de la Résistance et de la Déportation is more impressive than similar sites in Paris.
Lyon is closer to lakes (Geneva, Annecy, Bourget) and glaciers than Paris.
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 09:56 AM

I'm planning a trip for next year, part of which will take us from three days in Chamonix (hiking) to four days in Lyon (food and sightseeing). At this point we plan to travel by bus through Annecy. (We'll be coming into Chamonix from 10 days in the Bernese Oberland and will train from Lyon to Geneva for our flight home.)

Questions: Is it worthwhile to stop in Annecy and spend the night or would a travel break with a few hours walking around town give us a feel for the town? Anybody have bus experience in this part of France?
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 10:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MichGuy

Questions: Is it worthwhile to stop in Annecy and spend the night or would a travel break with a few hours walking around town give us a feel for the town? Anybody have bus experience in this part of France?
yes, Annecy is worth at least one night. And, there is a bus from Annecy to Geneva airport.
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 05:33 PM

I agree - Lyon is a larger place, and you could spend 2 or 3 nights there.

Old Dec 12th, 2021, 05:34 PM

Lyon is more urban, Roman sights, trabecule, loads of restaurants. Annecy is extremely picturesque, with mountains and lake.
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 05:35 PM

Annecy, is beautifully situated on the lake, and the old town would be perfect for one day and night.
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 07:16 PM

Lyon, from there you can take day trips to Vienne, Grottes de Cerdon, Annecy and even Geneva. We were able to see Annecy and Geneva in one day.