Luxe hotels in Prague

Jan 20th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Luxe hotels in Prague

Not one for typical international bland hotels, I am considering the "Riverside Hotel" and the "Savoy". Please could you share your experience of these properties or any others you care to mention. Many thanks!

P.S. This is in lieu of Budapest, in case any of you were wondering.
Jan 20th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

It would appear that Eastern Europe is still in the cold.
Jan 20th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Good night East, from the West.
Jan 20th, 2004, 11:48 PM

I have stayed at the Riverside Hotel, and posted about it a few months ago, but I can't seem to find my post, I have stayed three times in the past 6 months or so, and always enjoyed my stay. The hotel is right on the river, across the street from the "Dancing Building" (Fred and Ginger Building). It is about a 10-15 minute walk to the Charles Bridge. The rooms in the front and on the right side of the building (as you face it from the street) have great views, esp the rooms on the top floor which are large junior suites with balconies and a fantastic view of the castle. (I will check for specific room numbers if you are interested, I have this info somewhere.) The hotel is small and quiet and the staff is very attentive. It is brand new and decorated in a modern style, but not sleek and cold, rather there is a lot of color, bright stripe fabrics and big furniture. Bathrooms are great. You can walk across the bride to the tram lines running to the old town and Jewish Quarter, or walk a few blocks behind the hotel to the tram line running to Mala Strana. Drawbacks are that there are no restaurants or shopping in the area (other than the restaurant in the Dancing Building which is excellent). I would definitely stay here again.

Here a my notes on some of the rooms I have stayed in:

605 ? junior suite with balcony, great castle and river views. Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. Has a round "bulls-eye" window framing the castle.

604 ? junior suite with balcony, great castle views. Combined tub/shower, less closet space than 605 but still adequate. Also has a round "bulls-eye" window framing the castle.

505 and 504 ? large rooms, no balconies. 504 is a corner room with good river and castle views.

405, 407 ? large standard/deluxe rooms, nice views, better view is from 405

404 ? nice room on river front, but small size, would be better for one person.

You should also consider the Four Seasons, which reopened last year after the floods. It has a even better location, as it is closer to the old town square.
Jan 20th, 2004, 11:49 PM

The question marks above are not to indicate that I can't remember the room numbers...they are just a quirk of this site. Room numbers are as stated.
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:50 AM
hsv

Regarding Cicerone's last advice:

I do not think there is a Four Seasons as of today in Budapest. They will open a property called Four Seasons Gresham Palace sometime in mid 2004, though.
Probably Cicerone got it mixed up with the Four Seasons Prague, which indeed was damaged during the floods and has reopened meanwhile.
Jan 21st, 2004, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

Does the Riverside hotel have any fitness or leisure facilities?

I detest the Four Seasons chain, admittedly their historical properties, George V are good, but the modern ones have no individuality, so please don't reccomend them to me.
Jan 21st, 2004, 02:08 AM

I believe M-Kingdom's question is with regard to hotels in Prague, not Budapest. At least I assumed that from his comment that this "was in lieu of Budapest" (e.g., rather than going to Budapest as his previous posts had been about). M-Kingdom if your question is with regard to Budapest, then ignore my comments.
Jan 21st, 2004, 02:11 AM

The Riverside does not have a fitness centre or other leisure facilities. They may be able to get access to a local health club, you should check with them. Otherwise, the best you could do is a run along the paths by the river.
Jan 21st, 2004, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

You are absolutely correct, I am now no longer going to Budapest, thankfully someone read my post correctly.

I cannot understand why anyone would now build a new property and not install some form of fitness facility, perhaps it is a maintenance issue, but with todays fully emerging spa culture hoteliers should take advantage.

Looks like I'll be choosing the Savoy then, or is the Hilton any good?
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:08 AM
hsv

Sorry Cicerone!

Did not get that part of the post right- it certainly would help, if posters would state clearly what city they are talking about.

BTW I had already wondered about your advice as I usually think your comments are spot on!

Apologies again
hsv
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:11 AM
hsv

m_kingdom,

my apologies to you, too. For some reason the complete headline had not been displayed on my screen. It was cut off after Luxe hotels.

Obviously you were talking about Prague- and I am better getting out of this before I am embarrassing myself any longer

Pardon me again
hsv
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:12 AM
JonJon

I can comment on the Savoy having stayed there several times. It is located up on Keplerova and two tram stops above the "castle" stop in a quiet neighborhood but within walking distance of the castle, the Loretto, etc. Tram line #23 stops at the front door of the hotel (the front desk will sell you tickets) and you can be down at the river in 10 minutes.
The building has 8 floors and a fitness center; parking is also available.
Ask for one of the larger rooms on the eighth floor facing the front of the building.
The baths are fully marbled, with separate shower enclosures, and good sized. Last time I was there the minibar contents were complimentary.

The staff is absolutely excellent and very helpful; the concierge will arrange tickets, etc., in advance upon being e-mailed. The hotel will pick you up at the train station or aiport for a reasonable fee at any time of the day or night.

The dining room is very refined without being stuffy. Breakfast buffet is extensive. Service is wonderful and the hotel staff is very welcoming.

Now, if you can manage to tear yourself away from being within a few minutes' walk from the Charles Bridge and aren't a "hotel snob" and just HAVE to stay at one of the "big name" places, then I think you'll like the Savoy. Elegant and refined without being pretentious.

Jan 21st, 2004, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

The Savoy is a Leading Small Hotel of The World, although I think this "group" is losing its exclusivity, they still have high standards. What are the big names in Prague besides the Four Seasons, and The Palace (which has seen better days from my research). Are the bedrooms comfortable in the Savoy and are toiletries of an high standard? I think I will stay there if it is a good as you suggest.
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Any further remarks? Thank you
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:11 AM

The Savoy is "behind" the castle - it's a long walk to the Old Town Square. I had lunch at the Savoy and enjoyed it but felt the hotel was bit off the beaten path.

Relais & Chateaux has a hotel in Prague:
http://www.relaischateaux.com
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:23 AM

we stayed 3 nites in the savoy in november...we were very pleased, especially since we booked through priceline at a huge price reduction....the rooms were quite nice, well appointed and the bathrooms were large, with a seperate tub and shower...the furnishings were in excellent condition and well maintained...we had adjoining rooms with our daughter and son in law...they had an unusual shapped room at the end of the corridor which they really liked...there is a nice whirlpool area in the basement and a parking garage...the mini bar was totally free---just ask if you needed something that wasn't supplied....the breakfast was quite good as well....we were however disappointed with our dinner the last nite there...it was very expensive and only of average quality....

we loved being slightly out of the hub bub of downtown...the tram stops just opposite the hotel (lines 21 and 22)...it took about 10-15 minutes to the national theatre....the hotel is just above the castle and it is an easy 5 minute wallk....no restaurants in the immediate area, but some within a 5+ minute walk....there was parkland in the vicinity...it is a lovely walk down to the river---20 minutes...

we would both stay there in a heart beat another time...my daughter (32) thought that she loved being slightly removed from the hustle of the inner city as well....
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

I am now considering Boscolo Hotel Carlo IV as it has an indoor swimming pool, is this location favourable to the Savoy - I've been having trouble finding a map with both hotels featured!

Has anyone stayed at this property?

Jan 30th, 2004, 07:35 AM

Why don't you spend a night at each Mr Kingdom and let us know which is the best hotel in Prague?
Jan 30th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

My dear, you pay for one night at the cheaper property and my opinions will be yours!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO