lunch near milan train station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my family of 5 has some time between our flight arrival in milan and our train departure to camogli.
can you recommend a place for lunch near the train station? (we will have our luggage, only one carry on each)
grazie!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:05 PM

I wish I could help you out by the truth is that there really isn't much in the way of good eating in that train station area that is all that much better than what is available inside the station from panini and pizza bars.

How much time is "some time"? From the time your plane lands, you should figure it will take you 40 minutes or an hour until you are on a bus to Milano Centrale. That bus takes 50 minutes. Then you have to buy your train tickets to Camogli -- another 20 minutes at least. So that's 2 and a half hours from when you arrive.

When is your train departing for Camogli? (It's a lovely place by the way.)

If you think you are going to be in the train station for more than 3 hours, I suggest stowing your bags in the left luggage lockup and taking a taxi to the Duomo. Walk around, for an hour and a half and then go back to retrieve your luggage.

If you have less than two hours, grab some food in the station and try to make the best of it. Camogli will be your reward.

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much...
our flight arrives 10:20am and our train leaves at 2:10pm.
we already have the train tix
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:05 PM

Had good meals on the other side of the station square, at several places (I was staying in the vicinity), one facing the station on a corner, two others were a bit into the streets away from the square. One of those was a self-serve. Stash your bags at the station, you wouldn't know where to put them in a busy restaurant, then go looking.

But it may not be worth the cost and trip - nessundorma is right when she says you can get what you need right at the station - just keep an eye on your things as you go around buying and munching stuff - be pickpocketsafe and watch your stuff. Some training and preparation at home before the trip might be in order.

WK
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:03 PM

I've been in the Milan station many times and theivery is not a great threat. I travel with my husband, so what we generally do when one of us wants to buy something, is that the other SITS on our luggage (usually just two carryons) while the partner makes the purchases.

With a family of five, take turns going to the kiosks, leaving two people with the luggage at all times. That is plenty of vigilance.

Buon viaggio!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:08 PM

PS:

You write:

"Our flight arrives 10:20am and our train leaves at 2:10pm."

By the time you buy your tickets for the shuttle bus and leave Malpensa, it will be 11:15 am at best.

You will arrive at Milano Centrale at 12:15 pm.

You will have to board your train by 1:45pm.

The 90 minutes in between is not worth leaving the station.

Enjoy Camogli!

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:16 PM
J62

You could also just hop on an earlier train to Genoa (1:10pm), then connect for the short hop to Camogli. (trains every 1/2 hr)

Train tickets can be used on any train. Seat reservations (3euro) are train specific.

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:45 AM

I am taking the train from milan to firenze with the intent of visiting a couple of towns on the way during one day. Whichtowns will work best? Which towns have lockers, for I will have my luggage with me.Which town how short walks from the station to the center of town, or fewer hills.

I was thinking Parma, or Bolgna, or Emilia Reggiano, or Modesto.. pisa what would you suggest?
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

thank you everyone for your helpful advise.