Lunch at The Louvre?

Search

Lunch at The Louvre?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lunch at The Louvre?

My wife and I will be in Paris this October for a week and want to spend a full day at Versailles and also a full day at the Louvre. My question is what to do for lunch? We won't be in a rush but I'm curious to see if there are reasonably good places to eat inside or a short distance from the entrance. We will have the Paris pass for entry and reentry so other than the time spent walking there, no other downside to leaving the museum.

Thanks!
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 10:19 AM

They have a cafeteria which actually isn't half bad and is convenient, if nothing else. They have a big food court, also, although I am sort of remembering hearing that was closed down, but I'm not sure. It had lots of ethnic takeout places and lots of tables to sit at. I remember eating some couscous from one once. It was pretty big so that's hard to believe that it is gone. I think if you have any ticket you are allowed entry the same day, anyway. I'm sure they have a more formal restaurant are in the Louvre, all museums do, but I don't know about it as I don't like spending a lot for lunch.

this is a list of places to eat on their website http://www.louvre.fr/llv/pratique/de...en#restaurants
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 10:32 AM

Mike, I can not imagine how somebody can spend a full day in a museum.
I know that you did not ask our advice about this, however I take the liberty to suggest to go there twice, or if you want three times, each time maximum four hours. For me, if a visit is longer, then I'll be tired of you emotionally, spiritually and even physically and I shall not not be able to enjoy what I see.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Christina! Lunch is not a major part of the day just a respite for the feet and brain. We've never been to Paris before so perhaps I'm over thinking it. 8

Valtor,
Perhaps you are right! I'm not OCD,an anthropologist or even a arts major but there just seems to be so much to see in both of these locations. maybe we'll try multiple 3-4 hour sessions and they would be more stimulating. I had this in my head to do the worst weather day in the Louvre and the best weather day at Versailles.

Thx,

mike
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 12:51 PM

I think a whole day at the Louvre would be tough.

Go see something else and spend a half day at the Louvre.

But, Cafe Marly is supposed to be a good lunch spot.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 01:16 PM

I like museums but never go to one for more than a few hours, I don't enjoy it. It's like being forced to do something, not because you want to. I need more variety in what I do every day.

Cafe Marly is a trendy cafe spot under the arcades with a terrace and courtyard view, so it could be enjoyable for that. But it isn't cheap, so it should be a definite choice to spend that much for lunch. Here is a photo and prices (20-40 euro for the main course, 12-18 for entrees http://www.bestrestaurantsparis.com/...afe-marly.html

The cafeteria is a lot cheaper, but of course, not the same experience or view.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 01:16 PM

There is an excellent place nearby with very few tourists- Bistrot Vivienne
http://www.paris-best-restaurants.co...urant/zi109608
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 01:23 PM

We had lunch at the Lourve cafeteria a few years ago - I remember there was a huge variety of food to choose from, and the prices were good.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 01:29 PM

Be sure to get a museum pass. That will allow you to visit the Louvre in manageable chunks. My brother-in-law visits 4 or 5 times each time we go to Paris and chooses a theme for each visit. Of all the museums I have ever visited, the Louvre is the most ponderous. Or seems that way.

The cafeteria is fine but if you don't spend the entire day there, there are lots of places to eat in the neighborhood.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 01:58 PM

Several years ago I had lunch in the Richelieu Wing of the Louvre in a restaurant located (I think) on about the 2nd floor. There was indoor dining, but I ate on a terrace looking out over the pyramid which made for great photos.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 02:15 PM

There's lots of different foods to choose from in the Louvre cafeteria! I love spending a large chunk of the day at the Louvre. I think it is an incredible museum... it's really impossible to see even half of it when you are there. Yes it can be tiring, but to me spending 4-5 hours at the Louvre, including lunch is pretty much a whole day

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 02:16 PM

enjoyed the Marly before it became popular...thought it was a very welcoming lunch spot..prices at the time were half of what they seem to be now.

Museums are different for everyone. I could visit the Louvre for three hours, but by the sixth hour it would seem like a day with your least favorite dentist.

Years ago, Versailles was a rather quick study off season October)..but a full day? Hard to give advice on a museum visit...suggest you play it by feel...bored? Leave. Engrossed? Stay a while longer.
stu
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 02:17 PM

and to posters like Christina - everyone has their own personal preference. For me, being able to go to a museum like the Louvre is a luxury...
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 03:41 PM

Once you buy your ticket you can leave the museum and re-enter the same day. You can visit for a few hours and then take a walk in the Tuileries to clear your head, have lunch, and then visit for a few more hours. You can do this several times, especially if you buy a ticket for a day that has late openings.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 04:06 PM

We had a lovely lunch in a restaurant at the Louvre, but I can't remember the name of it. (It wasn't a cafeteria). We ate outdoors on a terrace overlooking the huge courtyard and the glass pyramid. Not that expensive and it was a highlight for us.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 04:24 PM

We had a good lunch at La Flotille in the garden of Versaille last summer. There are other choices, here is the site. The last time we had lunch in the Louvre was in the "food court" and it was good, inexpensive and quick. This summer, we will try Café Marly and take our time. When visiting the museum, we plan ahead as to what we want to see before heading out. So much to see...Enjoy!

http://en.chateauversailles.fr/prepa...ingle/services
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 09:19 AM

<<and to posters like Christina - everyone has their own personal preference. For me, being able to go to a museum like the Louvre is a luxury...>>

so what, bellaneige, why the snarky remark directed at me by name? I merely stated my opinion and said exactly that, that this is the way I feel. I never said anyone who doesn't feel that way is wrong or that everyone should feel the same. Knock the chip off your shoulder, you obviously feel defensive for some reason. I don't feel the same as you but it doesn't bother me in the slightet that you feel differently, why does it bother you when someone doesn't have the same opinion as you about spending all day in a museum?
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 09:46 AM

In the gardens at Versailles there are at least a couple of stands where you can buy sandwiches, etc. and they are reasonably priced.

At the Louvre there is the cafeteria that several mentioned but there is also a shopping mall attached to the Louvre (you won't be able to miss it!) and there is a food court that has many types of food to choose from. You won't have any problem finding places to eat there.