Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lunacy check - Seven hours in Amsterdam - Time to see Van Gogh?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, how about a sanity assessment from those experienced with Amsterdam: I'm considering a flight to Italy going through Amsterdam from the states, arriving at 7:45 a.m. in Amsterdam. The connecting flight to Venice, our ultimate destination, leaves at 3 p.m. from the Amsterdam airport. The Van Gogh museum opens at 10 a.m. I only want a few hours inside, just enough time to be properly overwhelmed by his art. Is it nuts to consider this logistically (not even considering the speed-dating quality of the aesthetic appreciation)? Is there a reasonable way to arrange the logistics and transportation to make this work?
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 02:53 PM

This all depends on how strong your nerves are.

The train from the air port takes about half an hour. Go straight to the tourist office for an I AM card (covers trams and entrance fee plus no queuing) So long as the trains run on time and you don't get held up you should be able to spend an hour in the museum.

So may be into Amsterdam by 11 am, to the museum by 12 noon, leave museum at 1, back at airport by 2pm - tight, but depends on your nerves and if there is a back up plan for the missed flight. Also depends on hand luggage only as Im not sure how early gates close.

Im not sure I would risk it. On my last trip the trains went phut and loads of people missed their flights.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Fashionista. Our arrival at 7:45 a.m. should enable us to get to the museum by the time it opens at 10. We do have to clear customs, but we can check our luggage on through to Venice, as we're connecting with the same carrier before we leave the airport so that we don't have to schlep it into the city. What about a taxi to and from the museum? Wouldn't that be a bit more certain, not requiring us to learn the train system?
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 03:08 PM
P_M

A taxi would be considerably more expensive and it will have to contend with the morning rush so I'm not sure it will be more certain. It was a long time ago when I visited Amsterdam but the train system was not hard to learn. It will be a rushed trip but I would be very tempted to go for it, mainly because I love Vincent too.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 03:21 PM

Trains are frequent and easy to get right - I can loose my self in my own back garden and managed this OK. The trams are also frequent and quick.

You want tram 2 or 5 from the railway station. Get off at stop Hobbemastraat or Van Baerlestraat.

I think you are being optimistic about getting there for 10.am but good luck!! It is worth the effort and a very well laid out Gallery. The audio guide is very good too.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 03:24 PM

I should have said the rail link is in the same building as the arrivals - just follow the signs. Ticket office has lots of staff and windows and will tell you the platform.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 03:28 PM
P_M

I second the recommendation for the audio guide, it really is worthwhile.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 03:35 PM

PM I'm not sure were in the world you are, but did you get to see the Van Gogh letters exhibition last year?

It came to the Royal Academy in London. Probably the best VG exhibition I have ever been to. All the original letters including the final one found in his pocket. I'm not ashamed to say I balled my eyes out. Incredibly moving.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 03:41 PM
P_M

Fashionista, I live in Austin, TX and I didn't make it to London last year. Traveling exhibits do come to Houston and Dallas, I'll keep an eye out for that. Van Gogh has always been my favorite artist and I would gladly travel to another city to see that.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 03:58 PM

Actually, I think you have more than enough time--and I think you should take a taxi (and this is coming from a public transportation freak who only uses public transport in Amsterdam).

Here's why: the museum is situated BETWEEN the airport and the Amsterdam Central Station. And as an extra: while we were doing our public transport thing around that time, our oldest daughter coming from NY with boyfriend who ONLY takes limos or taxis, was at our hotel near that museum about an hour ahead of us (which sort of irritated our self-sufficient egos). Ergo...

Hope an Amsterdam native will see this thread and tell us what we should be doing!

And BYW, I am assuming that you are not seeking "how I can do this in the cheapest way possible?" type of thing and that you are viewing the whole deal as "My time IS my money."

I certainly would not get an I AM card. Waste of your limited time for sure, and I'm pretty sure it would also be a waste of money. I decided for our needs against buying that thing when I was there for four days, and I didn't purchase it on my return trip a year later either.

When we were last at the Van Gogh, it was a special exhibit time, so all admissions pretty much had to be pre-ordered--the I AM card didn't help one bit.

I'd still check, though, to see if you could POSSIBLY pre-order your museum entrance on line. That way, once you are there, you can walk in.

An aside: Just got back from visiting the asylum in St. Remy where the poor guy painted 150 works. We had a French guide who said adamantly that Van Gogh was never an Impressionist but was instead a "Colorist". I like that description, don't you?
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 04:04 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I would definitely take the train into town - super easy and they come very frequently. Get your tickets at one of the machines. Then when you get to the central station, take tram 2 or 5 to the museum. It'll seem very confusing out in front of the station because there's a mob of people. Ask someone for tram 2 or 5. You can pay the conductor when you get on - it costs more, but it may be worth it given your limited time.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 04:09 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I was typing at the same time as Alessandra - sounds like her info may be better than mine. I just know we used the train, it was fast and easy and cheap, and the trams are easy. If a taxi would be as quick, then that would undoubtedly be easier!
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

All.....This discussion is giving me the courage to book the flight and go for the whirlwind trip to the museum. When advocates for train and taxi are both saying that each mode is possible, that's very encouraging. Thanks, everybody, for the support, ideas, and practical instructions.

AllessandraZoe.....We also spent a couple of hours at the asylum in St. Remy in May. It was not until we were in France (started in Nice) that I recalled that he'd been in treatment there, and that we could go there, too. Very rewarding.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 08:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
W/ a 7:45 arrival I doubt you'll be near the museum by 10AM. Customs isn't your problem - it is immigration. Plus hitting the tourist office to get the I AM - w/o that you'll face long lines.

But 11AM is probably doable.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 01:22 AM

The easiest way is to get the bus from Schiphol - get the Interliner 197 or 370 to Museumplein.
Or get the train to Amsterdam Zuid and the 5 tram from there to Hobbemastraat.

You need to allow about an hour from landing to getting through formalities and finding where you need to go.
If you choose the train route then you need to buy your tickets at the window, unless you have Euro coins.

You can buy your bus ticket from the driver. Same with the tram. it costs a bit more but is the easiest for you.

Buy your tickets for the museum online then you can avoid any queue that may have already formed.

I would not take a taxi, expensive, and at that time slow.

Be sure to be back at Schiphol by 1 pm as you have to go through Schengen security which can be one very long queue.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 07:09 AM

hetismij brought up an excellent point if you decide to do the train from airport--go IMMEDIATELY to the ticket window because the kiosks won't take your credit card without a chip. Or you can stock up ahead of time with enough Euro coins to make that work.

It didn't take us long, however, to get through airport formalities. Like us, you won't be having to pick up luggage, so that's at least 15 minutes less. Our biggest time hurdle was indeed was waiting in line to buy the train ticket into town. If you can buy a ticket from the bus driver, hey, that's a lot of time saved. Again, brilliant, hetismij.

Here's the link to buying online tickets for the Van Gogh museum:

https://tickets.vangoghmuseum.nl/sel...asp?language=1