Luggage theft on rise... NYT article

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More fodder for the carry-on vs. checked luggage debate...

Just wanted to post a link to an article in NYTimes that confirms what many travellers have been saying here when they say why they don't like to check luggage. I've always been in the "carry-on" camp myself, and though I can't do it this trip, I'm definitely going to put my favorite clothes in carry-on.

One tip I read on here (maybe it was Calamari) who keeps a detailed list of what they're packing... I'm doing that this trip too so at least I'll have confirmation if anything is missing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/17/business/17road.html

(This was also mentioned in Fodor's blog today, which is actually how I came to read the article.)

~kat
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 11:24 AM

I actually just purchased 2 Search Alert luggage locks--TSA approved, so they can get in without destroying, and they are the only ones with key).
It also has a red light and green light--if it's been opened, the light is red, so you can tell.
Haven't used it yet, but it's better than nothing.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 11:25 AM

I've always hoped for my luggage to go missing en route as the money I would get is much more than the worth of my belongings!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Almesq, I was thinking of buying those too, but as my husband points out, if the screeners have keys then so do other people at the airport who shouldn't... and they can easily get in. If not, they can cut them off, especially since the general "security" situation has made this more commonplace to search bags. And actually some of the people caught in that sting were the federal screeners, pilfering whatever they could quickly.

I don't know what other option there except to carry on your favorites, check all your old dirty laundry and make sure that's what's on top of the bag, and hope for the best.

~kat
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 12:05 PM

Yeah, I know it's not foolproof, but it is something, and at least you'll know right at the airport that your bag was gotten into so you can make a claim right away. I never pack valuables anyway. It would be a hassle to deal but if they want my clothes, they can have them.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 12:36 PM

This week at JFK airport some 'certified' luggage screeners were arrested for theft of passenger's belongings. Presumably these screeners would be those who have the special keys for the special luggage locks. Aside from the irony of having those hired to protect us actually ripping us off, I was amazed by what people put in checked luggage:
Rolex watches, diamond jewelry, brand new electronic devices, etc etc.

Moral of the story: don't travel with anything you can't bear to lose, and most especially don't put it in checked luggage.

I'd like to say that I'll get by with only carryons, but it's unlikely if my trip is anything more than a long weekend, and there are plenty of weight restrictions on carry ons. But if someone wants to steal my old underwear or shoes, I guess there's not much I can do.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 12:53 PM

My checked bag was opened and searched on our return home from Washington, DC last May. There was a short form letter in the bag advising that it had been searched. Assume this is routine, so what use is a fancy red/green light arrangement? Fortunately nothing was taken.

We will continue to plastic tie our bags (this one was) so that the bag can be opened if they wish. It was my understanding that the plastic ties are replaced if a bag is opened, but this wasn't the case with my bag.

I see no point in buying special locks. Locks are to keep people out and if they can be opened by inspectors what's the point. At least the plastic ties cost practically nothing.

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Elaine, yes I think that JFK was mentioned in the article I linked to. And I agree... the irony of those hired to "protect" us are ripping us off. Great.

But one thing the article said was that it's surprising the kinds of petty things they're stealing, like brand named dress shirts, and golf sweatshirts, etc. So what you might not think is "valuable" might still get stolen. Frankly, my clothes, though not particularly expensive, are valuable enough to me. It took me time to find just the right size or just the right style or whatever and replacing it would be a hassle even IF I got reimbursed by the airline.

So... who knows... but I'm leaning more and more towards those silly plastic ties instead of a lock. If they want something bad enough, they're gonna get it.

~kat
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Oh, I agree, I know I was sounding casual about losing my clothes, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't be upset if they were taken, especially the one great new sweater or pair of pants that I liked so much. Not to mention that losing my wardrobe can definitely put a crimp in my trip budget.