Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Luggage Storage available at the Nantes Gare?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if there is luggage storage available at the Nantes Gare? I want to leave about 5 hours between trains in order to stop in the town, but I don't want to haul my luggage with me. Anyone know how to find this information on the voyages-sncf site?
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:46 AM

Someone told you yesterday that they had recently used one there.

But you are wise to check on current conditions as they could be closed due to the status of VigiPirate, etc.

There are relatively few left luggages in French stations these days - in Paris only in Gares Lyon, Nord, Montparnasse and Austlerlitz for example and none in Saint-Lazare or Gare de l'Est.

Only stations equipped with airport-type security screening devices have lockers.

If all else fails call the sncf's English information line - the number which i don't have but has been mentioned here a lot.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:59 AM

According to a bulletin on the SNCF website, there is attended baggage storage available at Nantes. But it seems they don't have lockers available for security reasons. If possible, check with someone at an SNCF boutique for more info.
Here is some info:
http://www.voyages-sncf.com/guide/vo...signe_gare.pdf
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 09:13 AM

Though a bit old the following info on stations with left luggage came right from the sncf:

Author: PalQ
Date: 08/26/2005, 03:11 pm
Luggage lockers have been closed in most train stations in France in accordance with the Vigipirate anti-terrorism law enacted several years ago after domestic terrorist bombings in the metro i believe - the same rules have eliminated rubbish bins from most stations and public places - replaced often by cardboard box tops laying on the floor.
Anyway in several main stations lockers are openm daily 6:30am-11pm and usually allow luggage to be left for up to 72 hours (48hrs at Gare du Nord)
Autmatic luggage lockers with X-ray scanners:
Paris - Austerlitz, Gare de Lyon, montparnasse, Gare du Nord, Marne-la-Vallee-Chessy
Avignon
Nantes
Angers
Bordeaux
Toulouse
Marseille
manual lockers with X-ray scanners:
nancy
Strasbourg
Dijon
Lyon Part-Dieu and Perrace.
fees: small locker - 5 euro
medium 7.5 euro
large 9 euro
Noticeably absent is Nice-Ville station, perhaps the most main station in Europe without any left luggage facilities it seems.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

BTilke, Thanks for the link. That's what I had been searching for but could not seem to find on the Voyages-SNCF site.

PalenQ - You are correct in that the most telling sentence on the page says that automatic and manual luggage storage can be suspended at any time due to security reasons.

Thanks to you both for your help.