Luggage in Venice

May 17th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Luggage in Venice

My husband and I are going to Venice for 2 days in the end of June to cap off a business trip. Because of the business aspect of the trip it is a bit of a challenge to minimize his luggage. I am wondering if it is a real pain to store luggage at the train station. We are going to return our rental car at the Piazzale Roma and then we are staying at the Hotel Gritti. We are planning to take a vaporetto to the hotel and I imagine a larger roll-on plus two smaller ones will be a bit much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am so excited about going and I am feeling overwhelmed with the notion of getting our stuff with us to the hotel. Thank you so much.
May 17th, 2006, 03:05 PM

I don't know about the actual mechanics of storing luggage at the train station - but - I think that by the time you lugged your luggage over the two bridges between Piazzale Roma and the station (both of which have quite a few steps) and then up the steps into the station, you'd find it easier to just get on the No. 1 vaporetto at Piazzale Roma and go to Giglio which is almost next door to the hotel.
May 17th, 2006, 07:52 PM

I don't think that two people with one regular size and two smaller suitcases should have much difficulty on a vaporetto. Even if there is some inconvenience it would just be a matter of a few seconds to flounder around a bit before you got settled in.
May 18th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies. I feel better already.
May 18th, 2006, 11:09 AM

It's not hard to store luggage at the station, but that isn't really all that much luggage, shouldn't be that hard to manage on the Vaporettos (think subway cars without lots of steps on platforms, and that's pretty much what they're like, just on the water, so luggage is reasonably simple to do).
May 18th, 2006, 11:39 AM

Where luggage gets to be a pain in Venice is if your hotel is back quite a ways from the vaporetto stop, and you have to drag it up and over all the little bridges which cross the smaller canals. There is a fair amount of open deck space on the vaporettos, it's not like you have to be settled into a seat. On the other had, on our last trip, we arrived just as the vaporetto service was going to strike; we made it most of the way, then they said "everybody off", and we had to walk a bit further than planned. They had a 9am to 4:30 pm strike, then started up again as normal.
May 18th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Did the same thing a few years ago - with a couple of larger roll-ons and larger briefcase. Wasn't too bad - even had to carry up three flights to aprtment we rented. Just took it easy and as Rufus said it's really just a bit of a problem getting on and off - there is plenty of space on the vaporetto - alot more than subways cars in many cities.