luggage

Apr 16th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

luggage

I'm planning to take a three week trip to Europe and have been told that a 22" rolling suitcase is adequate. What kind of tips does anyone have for packing and is it really adequate? Thanks!
Apr 16th, 2005, 08:37 AM
ira

Hi m,

Tell us a little about your travel style.

I would find a 22" a bit small for 3 weeks.

Apr 16th, 2005, 08:45 AM

I take either a 22" or a 24" for a 3 week trip. As far as "is it really adequate?" depends on how demanding you are about your wardrobe and if you are willing to wear the same things many times. Oh, also the season, summer is easier obviously.

I would plan for one trip to a drop-off laundry service &/or some washing up in the hotel sink to stretch things out.

My tips: shoes 3 pair total, 1 on my feet. Downsize all toiletries and cosmetics to tiny bottles taking only what you need for 3 weeks (no full size containers of anything) packed in zip lock bags. Make sure each of your pieces of clothing is versatile, fabrics that pack well, a style you really like to wear, things that mix and match.
Apr 16th, 2005, 08:48 AM

Regarding the "travel sized" bottles, I highly recommend the Nalgene bottles found at the Container Store. I've never had one leak!
Apr 16th, 2005, 09:27 AM

I use ones I've collected from hotels past and refill them with my own brands, then discard when empty on the trip. I've yet to find travel containers to buy that are small enough (I prefer only 1-2 oz.).
Apr 16th, 2005, 09:32 AM

Hi margriet,

I like the philosophy of packing for four days, then washing out clothes as you go. That way, it doesn't matter if you're going for one or three weeks -- you still pack the same amount.

s
Apr 16th, 2005, 09:54 AM
rex

I contend that a 22 inch rollaboard is the largest suitcase you shouls take - - but not the ONLY bag you're allowed to take. I recommend checkig the 22 inch rollaboard; your carry-on can actually contain almost as much stuff - - a key is that it weigh almost nothing when empty. for example, a small-medium nylon duffel typically weighs only about eight ounces; it will fit in any carry-on space, and is nice and squishable if you have an odd shaped space in a car trunk or overhead compartment, for example.

I do think that laundry at day 10-13 is not only a necessity, but in fact, a nicety, for a 20 day trip. No one wants to be hauling around two weeks of dirty laundry that last week of the trip. Treat yourself to having it done if you don't feel like dealing with a laundromat.

Best wishes,

Rex
Apr 16th, 2005, 10:00 AM

..I think it is very easy PROVIDING your trip is covering areas with roughly the same temperature and roughly the same activities. I find it diffficult if I work for a week and then vacation as a completely different set of clothes. A little tough in London for example as weather can range from downright raw to lovely and warm.. I almost never buy "travel clothes" but bring a tops and sweaters that are "sink washable". I will send my good black pants to a laundry if I am away for 3 weeks. I did buy a pair of rather nice trousers from Tilleys that are fairly dressy- can wear them out or great city pants for galleries ect...were pricey but I can wash them in the sink. They look great so I wear them even when I am not travelling. I think a slightly larger bag (24") is still very easy to tote around and I will use this when I am basically staying in one place...all the other advice is great- color coordinate, minimize shoes, dont pack it if it cant be worn with more than one other piece..put everything out on the floor or a bed one day before you intend to pack...then pack half of it.
Apr 16th, 2005, 10:38 AM

It depends on the time of year (will you need sweaters and a coat?), your itinerary (will the weather be the same everywhere or do you need to allow for different temps?) and your travel style (do you go out to nice restaurants a lot and want several dinner outfits - or will you wear the same casuale stuff you wore all day?).

For 3 weeks I take a 26" plus a small carry-on - but we travel by car so size is not an issue - and we almost always go out for a nice dinner and shower/change beforehand. So a 22" would be way too small for me.
Apr 16th, 2005, 10:58 AM

There is no way I could make 3 weeks on a 22" bag. I consider myself a really good packer but again, as stated earlier, it depends on when, where, how long. Summer is always easier, staying in one hotel or whatever is easier and anything over a week requires more stuff. I am a shoe freak and I find that even an ugly walking shoe gets to me. I like to take 3 pairs so if by some weird accident I do get a sore toe, there is always another comfortable pair to grab. Also, unlike others, I do NOT want to do any wash on vacation...extra undies for me!
Apr 16th, 2005, 11:23 AM

I go pretty light - a 22 inch rolling suitcase is exactly what I take - along with a small daypack. Here's my packing list (for late spring through early fall - would modify if going somewhere especially hot) -

Wear on plane:
- Long pants
- Short-sleeved shirt
- Black cotton cardigan sweater
- Jacket
- Hiking shoes
- Socks, bra, underwear
(I get cold on planes!)

Pack in suitcase:
- 1 pairs pants
- 1 pair capris (maybe 2!)
- 1 pair shorts
- 3-4 short-sleeve tops (1 a little dressy)
- 1 lon-sleeve or 3/4-sleeve top
- 1 tan cardigan sweater (yes, in addition to the one I'm wearing on the plane - I get cold easily - this one is very thin and lightweight)
- 1 pair sandals
- 2 bras
- 6 pairs underwear
- 6 pairs socks
- Curling iron (gotta have it!)
- Travel hairdryer (very small)
- Minimum amount of toiletries - shampoo, conditioner, sunscreen, foundation, blush, lipstick, mascara, toothbrush, toothpaste, deoderant, hair brush - take everything in small containers

In daypack:
- 1 pair socks
- 1 pair underwear
- Paperback novel
- Camera (digital - no need for film)
- Binoculars (small)
- Sunglasses
- Guidebook
- Paperwork as necessary (reservations, etc.)

I wash socks/underwear as needed and go to the laundromat on about day 9. On a 3-week trip, MIGHT do laundry twice, but might try to make do with washing things out in the sink.
Karen
Apr 16th, 2005, 11:45 AM

I've pretty much cut out taking jeans, but if I decide I can't do without, that's what I wear on the plane since they're the heaviest. (I do love my jeans.)
Apr 17th, 2005, 10:00 PM

My wife and I have made six trips to Europe over the past decade or so, and each of us takes a 21" rolling suitcase which we check, and a day pack each which we carry on. Each of our trips has been in excess of eight weeks, and we make regular use of local laundrettes to make sure we are not toting around piles of dirty clothes. Our choice of clothes has to serve general wear as well as gear to wear to goood restuarants of which we are serious fans. If by chance we need some item of clothing which we have not packed, we buy something locally. Guess what? They have shops in Europe!
Apr 17th, 2005, 11:06 PM

I always take either a 19 inch or a 21 inch rollaboard and a medium-ish handbag whether the trip is 1 week or 6 weeks, winter or summer, city or countryside or a combo. If you coordinate your colors you can easily get 20 to 30 outfits in a rollie bag -- including 2 pairs of shoes. When you add the outfit and shoes worn on the flight - you really can't even wear every thing you canfit into a 19/21/22 inch bag.

Some people think - Winter trips means more luggage. I don't find that at all the case. In winter I just take more long sleeved things. Wool or wool blend slacks instead of cotton. Socks and closed shoes instead of sandals. Scarves and gloves.Maybe throw in some silk long underwear. And don't try to pack yopur heavy jacket/coat - carry it on the plane w/ you.

One should try to dress in layers - a lot more flexible than takling heavy clothing.

Even if you check the bag - it is just so much easier when you aren't schlepping massive suitcases everywhere.
Apr 18th, 2005, 11:35 AM

A generous amount of clothing, shoes, and toiletries fits nicely in a carefully packed 22" rolling suitcase.

What might not fit is if you plan to carry a lot of extras like: guidebooks, novels, electronic gadgets, hair dryer, curling iron, travel iron, travel clock, convertors, adaptors, full size containers of anything, etc. Those could make up an entire suitcase in themselves.
Apr 18th, 2005, 12:29 PM

On trips 2 weeks or longer, we normally take a 26" and 27". We haven't encountered any particular problems in the past 30 years. But we do work out at the gym regularly.
Apr 18th, 2005, 01:42 PM

Take the 22" and send out your laundry at least once.
Apr 18th, 2005, 01:54 PM

I really wish I could get all the stuff mentioned AND two pairs of my SIZE 12 shoes into a 22" rollaboard..get REAL!!!
Apr 18th, 2005, 02:22 PM

I seem to always manage okay with a 22". I have traveled light now for a few years and seems to work well for me. It really depends on your own style.

I take things like bras, and undergarments and pack them into zip lock bags and sqeeze out all the air. It really saves space. I do not mind handwashing when I need to. I also carry a small bottle of downy wrinkle release. It works.

I am a tad nervous for my business trip near Chicago. I have never packed suits before. I am wondering if I should use a garment type suitcase and check it. One of the reasons I switched to a small carryon was because my luggage was completely lost. Never to be seen or heard from again.

I will have to do a test run perhaps to see what I will do.