Search

Lugano

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Rocky

Lugano

Does anyone know if Delta Airlines or any other fly into Lugano from the States? Otherwise which is the closest airport and how would we get to Lugano from there? Thanks for the info.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 10:07 AM
BTilke

Lugano has its own airport, but no direct flights from the U.S. The closest "big" international airport would be Milan's, I suppose. You also could catch a nonstop to Zurich and then either take a train or flight down to Lugano (you'd still need to take a cab or find other transportation to downtown Lugano from the airport whereas a train would take you right into town). You can catch flights to Lugano from most major European airports--Paris, Brussels, Frankfurt, etc., but some of those flights may require a change of planes in Zurich. Or you can catch an overnight train from Brussels, etc., that get you into Lugano in the wee hours of the morning (around 5:30 am).

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 03:00 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Rocky, Milano Malpensa is the best choice. You can drive to Lugano in 1:10.<BR>Good luck--you will like Ticino.<BR>

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Rocky

Thanks for the info everyone. Bob, do you know if there is a train from Milan to Lugano? I plan on using the Swiss Flexi Pass in Switzerland after a few days in Lugano.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 06:34 PM
GEORGE

YES THERE IS A TRAIN FROM MILAN TO LUGANO. HAVE TAKEN IT FROM MILAN TO COMO, AND LATER AND OFTEN FROM COMO TO LUGANO. FIND OUT OPTIONS AT THE FOLLOWING SITE:<BR>www.raileurope.com/us/rail/fares_schedules/index.htm<BR>ENTER DEPARTURE AND ARRIVAL CITIES FOR TRAINS,COST AND TRAVEL TIMES. ALSO ANOTHER HELPFUL SITE IS:<BR>www.trenitalia.it/home/en/index.html<BR>

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:26 AM
xxx

Milano Malpenso is closest but not the most reliable. Flights are often delayed, either arriving or departing.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 03:31 AM
jw

Hi Rocky, I flew direct to Zurich from Atlanta, and then trained to Lugano. It took several hours, but the route was beautiful. Maybe you could research the costs, schedules etc of both options before deciding? Obviously, Milan is closer, but sometimes that's not the only factor. You will love Ticino. J.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Ronda

Takes approximately 3 hours by train from Zurich.