Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ludwig's Neu. Castle or spend more time in Lucerne?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We, a family of 6 with 4 teenagers, are travelling to Lucerne (after spending 3 days in Grindelwald) and then onto Stuttgart. Would you recommend two days in Lucerne and skip the castle, or one day in Lucerne and the castle? Our children will not have seen any other castles on this trip, but I undestand the tour is mainly on the outside of the castle and wondered if more time in Lucerne would be more interesting. We are going to Lucerne to see relatives and then onto Stuttgart to visit with our former exchange student. Thanks for your advice.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:54 AM

I assume you are speaking of the castle at Neuschwanstein? You can get a tour of the inside of the castle however the inside isn't nearly as interesting IMO as is the Linderhof.

Personally I would spend the two days in Lucerne and save the castles for another trip.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:58 AM

I was there a couple of years ago. Drove into the town-- month of May-- stayed the night-- You can see both castles there in a day and be on your merry way-- beautiful drive. What do your relatives in Lucerne say? It is amazing to see. You can walk up-- good little hike. I think 4 hrs there would be enough.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:59 AM
MaureenB

The tour of Neuschwanstein is an interior walk through, not exterior. We did it last June with our two teens. We loved the area, and the views of the castle from the hanging bridge are incredible.
Although I must admit it wasn't my favorite interior, after seeing the more 'realistic' royal apartments in Vienna for example, simply because Neu. is so fantasy-oriented and slightly bizarre. Walking through it you can really understand why he was called Mad Ludwig.
I'd recommend seeing at least one castle, however, and many people would argue with my impression of Neuschwanstein. And its better than no castle at all. (There is another castle next to Neu., I think his parents', and I think its open for tours but we didn't do that one.)

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 09:12 AM

The other castle is also his-- he grew up there or had it as a 2nd castle. We toured that one-- got great info. The walk and the bridge/the view from there are impressive. Also, you can take the trail up and down or the road up and the trail down. I would suggest the trail-- it is more fun.
You can see both castles.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 10:53 AM

I just love Lucerne. I was there in 1999, my first Europe trip and that time I was on a tour. I don't know, maybe because we had been going at a fairly rapid pace for a week and compared to London and Paris it was just so peaceful and so beautiful, and we were glad for the down time. We did the cable car to Mt. Palatus (sp) and the Lion Monument, and the rest of the time it was just strolling, eating, strolling, window shopping, drinking a beer, strolling and eating....well, you get the idea. I remember sitting out on my deck at the hotel, trying to get my hair to dry before going to bed, and I could see Lake Lucerene and all the lights around it. There was not a breath of air blowing and hardly a sound, the sky was black and stars everywhere. It's one of my best memories. So, you know your family best and what will make them happy.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 11:46 AM

IMHO Neuschanstein is not that great a castle. From where you will be - if you want to see a castle - go see the one in Thun - much older than Neu - much more intersting - and would not take you very far out of your way - so you don;t lose a day in Lucerne.

Also - Lucerne has tons to see/do - in the town and the immediate area - don;t give it up for Neu.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:21 PM

nytraveler:

Outside views of Neuschwanstein are breath taking for a first timer, and still the same feeling for this 3-timer!!
Walk to the Marionbruck bridge for the best views...the Teens will love it!

Inside...Nahhhh!

Speaking of which...have you seen 'Over Germany" on PBS? That will give you a reason to go!!

JOHN
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:21 PM

I think Neuschwanstein is a wonderful, fantastic confection--nothing else like it anywhere. The view from the outside is wonderful. And the dozen or so rooms that were finished inside the castle have some of the finest 19th century craftsmanship you'll see anywhere.

My view is impacted by my training as a historian and cultural anthropologist, but the contrast between Ludwig's conception of what a castle should be (Neuschwanstein) and what a real, workaday castle actually was (Hohenschwangau) is very interesting.

Neuschwanstein is also interesting in its historical context--one of the last extravagant spasms of Europe's monarchies. As Neuschwanstein was being built, the Hohenzollerns and Habsburgs had fewer than 40 years left in their reigns.

Oops, turning into a lecture. Anyway, Neuschwanstein is more than just a fanciful confection. And it is gorgeous up there.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:16 PM
DAX

It's quite a distance to reach Neuschwanstein from Lucerne. I'm not big on Neuschwanstein due to the themepark like setting & the super long wait.
If you're heading to Stuttgart, there is a very picturesque hilltop castle in Hechingen (about an hour drive south of Stuttgart) owned by the last Kaiser of Germany (the Hohenzollern family). Not a dream castle but a true castle complex that I found quite interesting.
I had a great time seeing Lucerne for the first time as a teenager taken around by local teenagers (family friends). I still visit Lucerne these days but never get the same perspective.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 09:28 PM

I tend to think that staying in Lucerne would be better simply because it doesn't mean rushing all over the place. If you do want to head over to Neuschwanstein, I don't think the tour inside is all that intersting but the surroundings are spectacular. We took our three teenagers last December, and we walked around Neuschwanstein with them (free) which they thoroughly enjoyed. Make sure you go up to Marienbrook bridge. We then took them on a tour of Linderhof which isn't far away. The kids really enjoyed the tour of Linderhof and gave them a good feel for completely over the top furnishings and decoration. They couldn't believe their could be so much gold gilt in one small castle.

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:15 AM

You can buy tickets to see Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles in advance on the internet. Because the tickets are timed, you avoid the long wait.

http://www.hohenschwangau.de/546.0.html
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:11 AM

Well -

each to his own. I;ve seen tons of castles all over europe - and to me Neu was the most boring - and obviously the most "fake". I know it looks really cute from the outside (like eery Germany travel poster known to man) - but so does the castle at Disneyworld. I would do any of Ludwig's other castles in preference.

If you are going to go be sure that you organize to get there when there's a tour in english - so you don;t have to wait.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 10:04 AM

No, Neuschwanstein is a real castle. It is the fantastic creation of a disturbed mind, but it definitely real. I find the entire story of its creation fascinating.

Just because something is not 500 years old, it does not necessarily lack interest.

But, as you say, to each his/her own. That's why they make so many different colors of neckties.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:01 AM

Rufus -

the reason I call it fake - is that most people - until they get there are under the impression that it is a 600 year old defensive fortress with moat and arrow slits - rather then simply an eccentricity newer than most historic buildings in the US. While it certainly has a history (so does my apartment) - and is quite pretty - it doesn;t in any way represent midieval or even renaissance europe.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:18 AM
JN

Save yourself the hassle of running around like crazy and stay the second night in Luzern. The kids will enjoy a trip up to Mt. Pilatus (if it's not cloud covered), the Transport museum, the Bourbaki Panorama and the Lowendenkmal. You could then, as suggested above, take in a castle either on your travels from Grindelwald to Luzern or from Luzern to Stuttgart.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:16 PM

Just because some people are ignorant about the castle's history, that doesn't detract from its story, nor its fantastic beauty.

Again, just because something is old, it isn't necessarily interesting. Just because something is "only" a 120 years old, it isn't necessarily uninteresting.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 06:57 AM

WOW!.... Nancy45 are you still there???

I like Neuschwantstein (even if I forget how to spell it!!)

I guess it is for the same reasons I like the ALPS! I cannot get over the VISTAS and the VIEWS!

That castle has a setting that when first viewed, is like your "first love"...you will never forget it!

I usually go in winter and it is even more spectacular!! (and much less crowded!)

IF you are in the area.....you should see it!
JOHN
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Wow -- thanks for all the comments! I'm still not sure which way to go, but at least I have more opinions! Sounds like if we choose to go to the castle it will be worth the effort. Thanks again all!