Search

Lucerne to Jungfraujoch in Mid-November

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lucerne to Jungfraujoch in Mid-November

Hi everyone,

How is the rail trip from Lucerne to Jungfraujoch in mid-november? Is the scenery especially worthwhile?

Also, what is the cheapest way to travel from Lucerne to Jungfraujoch? I am travelling with a family of 6. 1 elderly, 2 children, 1 youth.

Are there tour guides avaible in Jungfraujoch? I am also planning to shop in interlaken, is that advisable?

Thx,
Anthony
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi ccefm,

I don't think it's a good idea to see the Jungfraujoch from Luzern. The trip itself will be around five hours each way, so that means you'll be inside a closed-up, moving box for more than 10 hours in the day.

You do not want to ascend the peak if it's cloudy, or else you'll spend a lot of money to see grey clouds. That means that, even if it's sunny when you leave Luzern, by the time you get to the Jungfraujoch, it may well be clouded over. That's also the reason why you don't want to book a guide or tour in advance -- you can never tell if the weather will be clear on the day you booked.

If seeing the Jungfraujoch is important to you, you may want to just spend a few nights nearby -- maybe in Bern or Thun. Or, if you want to stay in Luzern, you can easily get to mountains that are a lot closer, like Rigi, Titlis, and Pilatus. Information at:

www.rigi.ch
www.titlis.ch
www.pilatus.ch

Interlaken is a big tourist town, and most of what's on offer will be tourist trinkets. In my opinion, it would be better to shop in Bern or Thun -- or Zürich.

Have fun!

s
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 11:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Today's a fantastic day in Switzerland with the most marvelous views. November can be incredible in the mountains or not. It just depends.