Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you could only choose one: Jungfrau or Mt Pilatus?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 3 days after a business trip in Bern and want to do both Lucerne and the Bernese Oberland. I have been planning all along to do the Jungfrau railway trip, but I also read about the Mt Pilatus boat and railway tour. So in your opinion, should I do the Jungfrau trip as planned and just focus on the city of Lucerne or should I try to do the Jungfrau, the city of Lucern and the Mt Pilatus trip. BTW: I'm flying out of Zurich. Thanks!
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 05:14 PM

I spent 3 days in the Berner Oberland and 2 days in Lucerne last year. I did both Jungfrau and Pilatus and they were both amazing. Jungfrau is spectacular but because of its height it is weather dependent. You could spend a day or two in the Berner region and the peak could be covered in clouds. Lucerne is a beautiful city and you can take a bus or a boat to Pilatus. The views from Pilatus are amazing. I loved Lucerne and it certainly would be closer to Zurich. It's a hard decision.Switzerland is a beautiful country and I hope you have a wonderful trip.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 05:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You may have mentioned in another thread, but when is this trip? There may be different opinions depending on the time of year.

Both trips are great, but I don't think you can beat the total package of the trip to the top of the Jungfrau.

The Jungfrau is much higher and much more dramatic. But - you don;t say when you will be there. The weather can vary a lot and because the Jungfrau is so high it's often covered in clouds (and you can see nothing) even if the valley is clear. The same is true of Mt Pilarus - but since it's almost 5,000 feet shorter it's somewhat less likely to happen.

We spend 3 days in Interlaken and could ascend the Jungfrau only the 3 rd day - the others it was socked in. You can check online - or the local train station - and they will tell you the weather at the top. (And staying in Inerlaken is no torture - we found plenty of great places to visit/things to do - including boat trips, visiting Brienz and Thun and exploring the countryside.) You just need to keep your schedule flexible.

As far as the towns are concerned, Lucerne is much cuter than Interlaken - and has more to do right in the town.
Original Poster

Thanks Irish Deb! This is very helpful.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

The trip is Sept 24-Oct 1
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info!
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 05:50 AM

If you're going to be in Lucerne on Sept. 30 and you're interested, there is a Swiss Folkmusic concert at the concert hall that evening. Google kkl luzern to get the website. It was easy to buy the tickets online.
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 06:06 PM

My vote is for Jungfrau. I have never been to Mt. Pilatus, but I have been to Jungfraujoch twice and I absolutely love it! Hopefully will go again in June.