Lucerne hotel?????

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:33 PM
Kathy

Lucerne hotel?????

We would like to spend one night in Lucerne but the hotels that I have checked are all fairly pricy. Any suggestions?? We will be arriving by rail and would like to stay in the $100 range. Thanks!!

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 09:44 PM
John

Des Alpes or Krone should be within your price range, both 3 stars.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Julie

In general you will find hotels more expensive in Switzerland than elsewhere.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 04:44 AM
John

Price depends in part on where you wish to stay. We are staying at the Des Alpes this may for 230chf/nite--which is around $135. Next door is the Mr. Pickwick, with a nice view of the river in the Altstadt for considerably cheaper (135 chf/nite for double without breakfast)www.hotelpickwick.ch/english/index.html Rooms have wc & shower or bath<BR><BR>On the other side of the river, a block or two inland is a modest hotel that looks nice, the Pension Roessli, 100-125 chf/nite for double with wc & shower/bath, breakfast extra <BR>(http://www.roesli.ch/)<BR><BR>Both are convenient to the bahnhof and near restaurants, shopping, the lake etc.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Janet

I stayed at Hotel Krone last year for one week - it was clean, nice staff who speak good english, and the breakfast that is included is great - don't even get me started on the coffee!!! The breakfast is served in a cafe/restaurant on the first level that has large windows that look out onto a square paved in cobblestones. It is in the pedestrian area. A one minute walk to the river. Good choice for the money.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Kathy

Thanks for your suggestions. I will check all of them out.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Aaron

I was in Lucerne 2 weeks ago. I stayed at the Flora Hotel just a few blocks from the train station. It's a Best Western chain hotel. It cost me roughly $75 per night. Clean and well situated.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:41 AM
bettyk

Remember that hotels will be getting pricier as the summer tourist season starts. Rates for early spring are lower, so what someone paid a few weeks ago may not be what you will pay. For the end of May, the cheapest rate at the BW Flora is 320 CHF. You may be able to get it cheaper by contacting the Flora directly. For the same period, the Krone is 280 CHF. Neither are in your price range.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Dick Yeager

Regarding Best Western reservations; I have received better prices through the Best Western reservation system than dealing directly with the hotel.<BR><BR>This happened for reservations in Innsbruk and Stasbourg.<BR><BR>Dick

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 12:37 PM
bettyk

Dick, I actually had the reverse happen. The BW website quotes 390 CHF for a river view double at the Balances. By contacting the Balances directly, I got a river view for 320 CHF.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Harvey

One of the best web sites ever is at luzern.org. Click hotel, 2 stars, and then Goldener Stern to go the their home page. You can see whether it is for you. Me, I wouldn't miss it! Take the 2 bus from the train station or walk. Be sure and check this site out 'cause it does a great job ofshowing you Lucerne.