Reload this Page >

Lucca accommodations

Search

Lucca accommodations

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2000, 04:39 PM
Al

Lucca accommodations

My girlfriend and I will be travelling to Rome and Tuscany in early September and plan on spending the better part of 1 week in Lucca. We have planned not to have a car and will be going by train from Rome to Lucca. Can anyone recommend a nice central Hotel or B&B in or near Lucca that would suit our needs? We plan to use Lucca as a base to tour Florence, Pisa, Livorno, etc.

Old May 10th, 2000, 05:25 PM
Frank

I am going in June and have reserved a room in the "Piccolo Hotel Puccini" in Lucca for L 130,000 w/o breakfast (in September it may be cheaper). It was recommended in some guidebooks and by others on this forum. It is located at 9, via di Poggio, and the email address is [email protected]. Fax 0583-53487, tel. 0583-55421. Have a great trip!

Old May 11th, 2000, 12:20 PM
anne

We stayed in the Puccini last spring - charming little place, excellent location, lovely decor. Go for it!

Old May 11th, 2000, 03:21 PM
Sandy

Hi! We stayed in Lucca last Sept at the Piccolo Hotel Puccini-small, friendly and comfortable. ENJOY!

Old May 12th, 2000, 01:49 PM
Al

thanks for your responses. This is a good site for information.

Old May 22nd, 2000, 12:59 PM
Al

Unfortunately the Piccolo Hotel Puccini is booked solidly. Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Universo since it was renovated? What about the Hotel Ilaria, La Luna, Albergo San Martino or Villa Romantica?

Old May 22nd, 2000, 03:41 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Al, does not surprise me. It is very <BR>small and popular. The Universo is fine. <BR>A bit old but with old world charm and <BR>in the best location in town. Go for it.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 03:28 PM
stephanie

Dear Al, <BR> Last year 2 friends and I did exactly what you are proposing, spending a week in Lucca using it as our base from which to visit Tuscany/Florence/and Cinque Terre. Instead of staying in a hotel we rented an apartment which we found thru Maria Bandoni at www.italianrentals.com. She seems to specialize in the area around Lucca and her small "Carlo's Apt." was found hidden off a staircase in an ancient palazzo (the owners who've had the building in their family for hundreds of years live at the rear) situated smack in the center of this great walled city. No need for a car at all---in Lucca it's frankly easier without one. I know last year "Carlo" was talking about renovating the building but it'd be worth asking if this magical apartment might still be available. Good luck. stephanie

Old May 24th, 2000, 02:43 PM
Al

thanks Stephanie. I checked out the web site but unfortunately we can't arrive on a Saturday.

Old May 25th, 2000, 01:53 PM
stephanie

Dear Al, <BR> I wouldn't necessarily let the Sat.- Sat. thing dissuade you. I know our travel plans were from a Tues. to a Tues. and I think the apartment was the only property that could accomodate such a schedule--I'd contact Maria Bandoni directly (if you haven't already)--it was just such a nice way to feel we were stepping into history in Lucca and staying with locals rather than in a hotel. Carlo and his wife were MORE than helpful, too. If nothing else Maria may have some other suggestions since I believe she spends half the year in the area. Wishing you luck, stephanie

Old May 25th, 2000, 02:04 PM
Lesli

In case you were not already aware, travel between Lucca and Florence (perhaps other nearby cities as well) is easier by bus than by train. <BR> <BR>Definitely have a meal at Da Guillio - I still remember the perfect pollo arrosto and potatoes with rosmary.... Lucca is a charming town; enjoy!

Old May 25th, 2000, 04:07 PM
Al

thanks Stephanie and Lesli. I'll take the advice from both of you.

Old May 25th, 2000, 04:25 PM
kam

Al, Lucca is the city closest to our family's location in the Garfagnana area of Tuscany. We rarely overnight there, but hopefully, this will give you some information about Lucca. It is a wonderful city and I highly recommend staying there, but recognize that it hasn't been in the forefront of tourism in Italy. Therefore, there aren't a tremendous number of hotels in Lucca. The Puccini is wonderfully located, but also check with the La Luna and the Stipino (a bit outside of the town walls and so maybe not too attractive for you), the Celide, and the Universo. As I said, we don't overnight in Lucca, but please try to have a meal at Buca di Sant'Antonio near Puccini's house. It's really great Tuscan food.

Old May 30th, 2000, 12:40 PM
Al

Thank you all for your responses. It looks as though we will be staying at the Universo as they have the space and it is very centrally located. I have spoken to others about Lucca and everyone says it is a wonderful place to visit.