LoveItaly

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LoveItaly

I enjoy your enthusiasm and interest in Italy. I read that you are hoping/planning a trip there next spring and I think you live in northern California. I share with you my love/interest for Italy. So my question to you is: what are some of the ways that you keep up your "Italianism" until you get there? (other than keepin g up with what the Fodorites write about?)
Best regards,
Parfym
Parfym
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 09:53 PM

Hi Parfym, well I have many friends in Italy (basically from Florence up to the north (both west and eastern Italy all the way to Trieste. And my SIL who lives in my small city was born and raised in Rome. All of his family is in Rome (there are so many of them my daughter still hasn't met all of them, lol). And a friend who came from Italy when we were both 14 (who is like a sister to me) still has all of her family in the small region of Molise. Oh, my DIL has lots of relatives in and around Lucca.

So between all of those people I pretty much keep up with the news, the politics, the gossip (more than I sometimes want to hear believe me).

I have sometimes thought I just wish I could go to Italy and be like the typical visitor without all the dramas, the health problems, the death, the arguments, hearing about the irritating in-laws, the job problems etc. Now that would be a vacation!!!

But of course I am rather saying that tongue in cheek, as I feel very blessed to have so many Italians in my life (well most of the time anyway!).

Yes, I was going to go back to Italy last year but due to my SIL's father dying and his mother being hospitalized they made a mad dash to Rome and stayed there for a month (I got the grandsons for the month). So I was going to go this year but due to various friends problems (elderly MIL, necessary operations, residence burning down and so forth and so on) I again put the trip off until next year. It just didn't seem like the best time for me to be there either for me or so many of many friends.

Where do you live Parfym? You have been to Italy I take it? Will you be going again in the near future? Just writing this post to you makes me want to dash off to SFO right now! CinCin!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi LoveItaly,
I appreciated your response to my question.
It reads like an Italian novel with so many characters involved, doing their Italian thing.
My husband and I are leaving for Paris Oct. 10th and after a few days we go to Venice (my husb's favorite city), Lucca, Orvieto and Rome. Yes, we truly enjoy both France and Italy.
Where do I live? We live on the S.F.Peninsula, about 10 min from SFO door to door.
Tanti saluti da
Parfym

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Oh Parfym, lucky you!! You must be counting the days. I love all the places you will be visiting! And you are so fortunate to live by SFO. Since I moved to the southern end of the Sacramento Valley between getting to SFO and the early checkins that are required I am tired when I get on a plane, lol.

Uhm, more like an Italian opera actually!

Have a beautiful trip Parfym, I will be thinking of you.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Hi Parfym,

Sorry don't mean to intrude in your conversation but I also want to echo, that you have a lovely trip ahead of you! I recently came back from 3+ weeks in Italy ( Lucca, Roma, Venezia and Firenze) and... mi manca Italia!
Unfortunately, I never made it to Orvieto!

Have a great trip! Please post when you return and let us know how it went.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi LoveItaly and Cruisluv,
Fun hearing from both of you and thanks for the good wishes for our upcoming trip to la bella Italia.
Yes, I'm looking forward to it and I pack and re-pack, in my head. ( faccio la donna mobile) Don't do the real packing until the day before.
Cruislove, what were some of the hi-lights of your Lucca visit?
Saluti a voi due,
Parfym
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Hi Parfym,

I stayed 12 days in Lucca while I attended a language school. Highlights: walking on the walls( although I should have rented a bike, like most everybody else!), going to Puccini music concert in San Giovanni church, walking around in the almost 100% pedestrian city, sitting in a cafe at the anfiteatro, having a dinner al fresco facing Piazza Napoleone.....just being there!! I LOVED Lucca!

Where are you staying?
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi Cruislove,
Your stay in Lucca sounds wonderful, and we are really looking forward to visiting there. We are staying at Hotel Rex for 5 nights.
P
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 12:04 PM

Hi parfym, I enjoy loveitaly's posts too; I'm also in SF area; I'm flying to Montreal tomorrow, then to NYC on 9/11, then to Paris, then to Lucca, Arezzo, and Venice.

To keep in touch with the Italian side I work on studying Italian, and when I am good enough i will be joining a friend's weekly lunch group where they all speak Italian.

Have fun on your trip and hi to Loveitaly, Ann
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Parfym and Ann,

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 12:43 PM

I'm snooping

You guys should have a GTG at Mona Lisa in San Francisco!
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi annw,
I'm glad that you are studying Italian, as am I, starting again tomorrow,in So.S.F. every Saturday morning (for years), at the Italian School of Language and Culture.
I wish you a safe and successful trip.
FainaAgain,
What a great idea: GTG at the Mona Lisa. I have been wanting to go there for some time.
Ciao,
Parfym

Old Sep 8th, 2006, 04:04 PM

This is LoveItaly's favorite restaurant, and this is where we had a GTG.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 04:48 AM

LoveItaly, I have always said you painted a picture with words keep it up you have many lovers of your style.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 05:40 AM

Another LoveItaly fan here.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 09:33 AM

Well good morning dear Fodorites, I must say may face is red however. And regarding my writing style, I consider it terrible, especially because I am a terrible typist, I sometimes read a post I have written and see misspelled words etc and cringe. I need a secretary like I had for ages to proofread for me, lol,

A GTG at the Mona Lisa in North Beach after everyone is back from their trips would be so much fun!! I could sure work that out with the owner, Maurizio.

Let's keep a GTG in mind. And if I could only talk dear Starrsville to fly out here and join us...Starrs?

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 09:39 AM

And what happens with Loveitaly fans very far from SF ?
If nothing avoids it..I will be in Rome for a weekend in October, I will think on you
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 09:48 AM

kenderina, we plot and plan and figure out how to get There or how to get her Here
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 09:49 AM

OKAY!

What about a weekend in October? Will you drive me to the wine country if I head out to the Left Coast?

A night or two in the city and a day trip to the wine country. Hmmm...that may be doable
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 09:49 AM

Kenderina, a weekend in Rome!! I sure hope that works out for you. You Europeans are so fortunate to be able to travel to each others country's with such ease. I would love to hear about what you plan to do and see while in Rome Kenderina.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information