Loumarin, Menerbes, Bonnieux???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am now heavily into planning mode. Still thinking of doing Aix market on Sat. morning. Probably would have lunch as well. Would there be time to visit any of the above on the way back to St. Remy?? If so, which and how many?? Still planning L'Ile Sur La Sorgue for Sunday so I'd have time to do Rousillon and others then.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 02:29 PM

Lourmarin and Bonnieux are both lovely. We never made it to Menerbes. I think you might want to limit yourself to visiting three on any one day. (Although one gorgeous day I know we hit quite a few places...getting out for lunch or a stroll to take pictures, or an afternoon beer...) You'll just have to pace yourself. Don't set too strict a schedule and you'll be fine.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 02:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
In Bonnieux, We like dining for lunch at Le Fournil. There's a good antique shop. hand embroided linen boutique ansd many more plus a bakery museum.
Camusis buried in Lourmarin. One of my favorite shops is there, "Coté Bastide."The Moulin de Lourmarin is a special place for lunch (read $ ) but the sidewalk cafes, nearby are fun.You can visit the castle there. Menerbes a honey colored artsy village, former home of Peter Mayle who wrote about the townies and their narrow streets in a "Year in Provence."
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 03:52 PM
blh

We stayed in Lourmarin for three days while visiting many of the Luberon villages. If you only have time for one of the above, I would highly recommend Lourmarin - more shops, restaurants, the chateau, sidewalk cafes, etc. It's really a lovely little village. The others are nice too, but I would vote for Lourmarin. You would probably have time to drive through the others - they really don't take too much time.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 08:33 PM

You should have time to visit at least two of them. Certainly Lourmarin would be right on your way.

Have a good trip.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 09:02 PM

Ibrawer -

You could easily visit Lourmarin on your way back to St. Remy, even allowing for a leisurely lunch in Aix.

You'll want to take the RN7 north from Aix (not the autoroute). Then turn off towards Rognes, then across the Durance river to Lourmarin. The route is well sign-posted and very pretty. This will take you 1/2 hour driving. Mid-late afternoon will be a nice time to visit Lourmarin. From there it is pretty straightforward back to St. Remy via Cavaillon.

This will make a great day for you.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 03:35 AM

cigalechanta - you said "former home of Peter Mayle"...does he not live there anymore? where did he move to? Just curious as a fan of his books.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 03:53 AM

If you're planning on spending the morning in Aix at the market, the only village you'll have time to really visit before heading back to St Remy would be Lourmarin. I find it more charming than the other two in any event.

Sunday morning I'd advise getting to l'Isle at a fairly early hour - it will take you all morning to visit the market, the antiques market (brocante) and the shops that are everywhere !
I'd suggest Oppede-le-Vieux and Roussillon - there's a little place there where I almost always have lunch called La Treille.

4totravel:

Peter Mayle left the area about seven years ago. He and his wife Jenny have lived in several places since then, including Grasse, and I recently heard that he's up near Vaison la Romaine now.
His home wasn't in Menerbes - it was near Lacoste.
PB
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 07:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I differ,

He said it was Menerbes, and after leaving Provence, he moved to Long Island where he still lives part time and returned to live in Lourmarin, but has since moved again to another location .

he himself said Menerbes
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 09:25 AM

PBProvence -

Always a pleasure to meet another fan of La Treille. We adore that place....
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 10:11 AM

In my opinion, Roussillon is not to be missed. Its red buildings against a bright blue sky make it spectacularly beautiful and different from any of the other villiges in the area. Do not miss the ochre pit not far from the parking lot. Late in the day ( or very yearly) the colors are truly spectacular!
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 10:13 AM

Ooops..that should say "very early".
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 10:22 AM

And if you like Roussillon - go a bit further east to the "Colorado of Provence" near the village of Rustrel. It's orchre cliffs like in Roussillon, but on a much grander scale. A gret place for a 1/2 day hike.....