Reload this Page >

Lots of questions for Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 12:16 AM
Divya

Hi! <BR>I have secured a job in Offenbach in Germany. I would like to know the whereabouts of this place & would like to make friends. <BR>Divya

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 02:13 AM
Miriam

Hello Divya, <BR> <BR>sorry, but I have to be a bit negative...The only good point about Offenbach is that it`s only 10 km to get Frankfurt. Avoid living in the city at all costs! It`s like a big red-light district. I don`t know if you`re male or female, but as a woman I wouldn`t want to walk the streets in the dark. Offenbach has one of the highest Turkish population in Germany. I don`t want to sound like a rascist, but you may imagine the crime rate and other problems that result from that fact. <BR>On the other hand if you consider Offenbach just as a place you`re going for work in the morning it`s not bad. <BR>There are nice commuting towns near Offenbach where I would look for an apartment, f.e. Heusenstamm, Rodgau, Dietzenbach and many more. And since Frankfurt is so close you`ll have all the advantages of a big city, like shopping, cultural events, museums et. <BR>The public transportation, called FVV is very efficient and safe. <BR>If you have further questions just drop me a line, I work in Frankfurt. <BR> <BR>Kind regards <BR> <BR>Miriam

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 04:18 AM
Lee

Divya, You can't argue with Miriam, she has some good points, but I like Frankfurt a lot. <BR> <BR>Offenbach is on Frankfurt's east side, almost southeast. There are some great towns on Frankfurt's south side and you can commute by autobahn A661 or secondary road B46 easily. <BR> <BR>I worked in Frankfurt (Hausen) and lived in Morefelden. I liked both. I did not find Frankfurt to be unattractive at all, in fact, whenever I had a free afternoon or evening I spent it either around the Romerplatz along the Main River or just across the bridge in Sachsenhausen's pub district. There are sections of Frankfurt that would certainly be suitable to find an apartment and if you don't have a car, can easily access public transportation. At no time did I feel unsafe there. <BR> <BR>The area around the hauptbahnhof (main train station) is the "red light" district and it is rather seedy, but otherwise it's a great place to live and/or work. <BR> <BR>The Christmas market in the Romerplatz is a really good one, also. You know, maybe you and Miriam can meet up for lunch, dinner, etc.(?)

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 05:33 AM
XXX

Sorry, Mirriam, but you do sound like a rascist with that statement "Offenbach has one of the highest Turkish population in Germany. I don`t want to sound like a rascist, but you may imagine the crime rate and other problems that result from that fact." Germans just don't seem to get it. What a pity.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 05:46 AM
Miriam

Hello, <BR> <BR>Lee: I like Frankfurt, too. I just wanted to point out that Divya shouldn`t <BR>take an apartment in Offenbach city, but <BR>rather take advantage of the opportunities she has because Frankfurt is so close and of the fact that there are really nice towns nearby. <BR> <BR>To the other poster: I knew that I would receive such stupid responses. I don`t have anything against Turkish people, I in fact hired a Turkish guy three months ago. Look at it like you want-but it`s a FACT that the crime rate in the area I meant is extremely high. <BR>If you email me directly I can produce numbers if you`re interested. <BR> <BR>I just wanted to point Divya in the right direction if she has to look for an apartment her/hiself. <BR> <BR>Miriam

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 06:15 AM
roger

Hey, the truth is the truth. Only a leftwing liberal can't face the truth.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 01:35 PM
J

Oh, Miriam, I am sure you can produce numbers; and like a good German I am sure you have concluded very interesting facts with those numbers. <BR><BR>Agree, Germans don't get it.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 02:44 PM
Russ

It disturbs me when posters like J and XXX paint Germans or others with a broad brush (how pathetically hypocritical, don't you think??) and I was prompted to do a little web research on crime in the region for those statistic-hungry folks, and I found this:<BR> <BR>http://www.polizeidarmstadt.de/pks99.htm<BR><BR>The tables at the bottom indicate that Offenbach comes in somewhere near the middle of the pack in the state of Hessen in terms of crime, with Frankfurt the most crime-ridden city by far. However, it is notable that Offenbach, with a population of 112,000, has a crime rate about 33% higher than much larger Wiesbaden (268,000). For its size, its crime rate is relatively high. It is also interesting to note that crimes committed by foreigners account for 1/3 or more of all crimes in the areas indicated.<BR><BR>I'd say Miriam's generalizations about crime in areas of foreign influx are fairly accurate, and that those who say she "doesn't get it" ought to do their research before throwing their politically correct hand grenades at other cultures.<BR><BR>Russ

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 02:50 PM
J

Read Miriam's statement. This is not about statistics, or whether the numbers supports the fact that crime in the area is high. Again, read how she supported her statement.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 03:00 PM
Miriam

Hello Russ,<BR><BR>It`s really nice that somebody understands my point. If somebody wanted to relocate to the U.S. you wouldn`t direct him to certain areas<BR>in N.Y. or L.A.,would you?<BR>I was hesistating to answer the last poster, because I had the feeling that<BR>my English is too bad to be understood and that the real meaning wasn`t clear.<BR><BR>Thank you Russ<BR><BR>Miriam

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 06:19 PM
Russ

I did read it, J.<BR><BR>Whatever you are reading into Miriam's reply appears to stem from your own preconceptions about the utopia that life simulates in such communities and/or your preconceptions about Germans. Miriam did not generalize and say that Turks are all rapists or thugs; she made the apparently factual observation that crime is high in such communities and that she would feel less safe there. The fact that most alien residents there are Turks is just that - a fact. You are the one who chose to generalize about the Germans. Where exactly are your numbers that show that the "Germans just don't get it"? You should at least provide some anecdote that helps us understand that Offenbach is wonderfully safe, or that Germans are racists. But you haven't done that - yours is the crude overgeneralization.<BR><BR>Miriam is generous enough to provide helpful tips to others on many questions, including which areas are safe and which not, and to do so in a second language. Neither she nor her culture deserves to be slammed for her helpfulness.<BR>

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 09:12 AM
xxx

If you're a single western woman would you take a job anywhere in Turkey and move there alone?