Notices

lot /aveyron

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lot /aveyron

We are renting an outbuilding at the Chateau de Couanac (near Varaire) for the first two weeks of Sept. Would appreciate suggestions for local and not so local touring. We have visited the Dordogne and the Lot before and loved all of it. We will take a week after to drive to Paris slowly. Maybe through Auvergne;maybe via Bordeaux Saintes etc. Any other suggestions? Thanks John
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:21 AM

John, I recently returned from a few days in the Albi area..if you want a few tips on sightseeing and restaurants, let me know...we arrived there after a drive south from Cognac through the Dordogne..
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'd appreciate any info. John
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:09 PM

It's a beautiful area, We have visited few times after my curiosity was peaked by reading Three Rivers in France by Freda White published in the 50's nd later in the late 80's Michel Busselle 's beautiful pictures were dded. Today it is not as remote in these areas but it will make you want to explore these three, the Dordogne, Lot, Tarn.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 01:07 PM

We spent a day visiting Cordes, Bruniquel, Puycelsi, and Castelnau de Montmiral. I have been to most regions in France and would rank these villages as among the most beautiful of any that I have seen in that country. (On the drive down, we stopped in another idyllic town that was new to me, Brantome, but that is not in the area you are asking about, so...)

We spent another day exploring Albi and had lunch at Le Lautrec which I recommend highly. It is just across from the birthplace (not the museum) of Toulouse Lautrec.

For excellent food in a contemporary setting, L'Epicurean in Albi is very good...

One of these days I will get around to doing a short report about the trip, focusing on food...meanwhile I will be more than happy to answer any questions..

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 04:24 AM

I posted a thread on Gorges De (du?) Tarn in the last couple of weeks might give you some ideas
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 06:45 AM
ira

Hi J,

Have you been to Carcassone, Pech Merle, Narbonne and Narbonne Plage, Figeac and Albi?

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

We have visited all of these places with the exception of Narbonne and enjoyed them immensely. We enjoy out of the way villages and are very interested in local food. I dislike cuisine nouvelle and always search for traditional french specialities.