Lost luggage

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Lost luggage

Well my daughter left on a much anticipated month long trip to Paris to study at the Sorbonne. I just received her 10 phone call and she is in melt down mode. Continental has misplaced her luggage and she has now gone 72 hours without fresh clothing or a bath. She is young and doesn't have the travel experience that many on this board have so please don't put her down too much. I did tell her all of the things she should have known regarding packing items on her carry on but I am only her mother and of course as many daughters do, she didn't listen. Regardless, I am upset for her sake because I know she wanted this to be a wonderful experience and it has not started out too well. She was supposed to get her luggage today but someone, somewhere messed up and they told her incorrect information. So now they insist it will get to her tomorrow. I pray that it does but I will be calling them at 1 a.m. my time to try to get them to find the bag. Can anyone give me any recommendations as to what to do to hurry this along or is she out of luck and will just need to wait for the airline and/or delivery service to get their act together? Any encouragement or advice would be much appreciated. I feel so useless to help her.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:05 PM

The airline should have given her an allowance to buy some clothings and amenities. And what does no shower has to do with no luggage?

Anyways, things like this happen all the time, so just count it as a learning experience for her. The luggage probably will show up tomorrow.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:10 PM

Make sure to check out the lost or damage luggage information on CO's webpage:

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...e/default.aspx
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:12 PM

She's an adult, right? So she can pretty much deal with it herself. It's only lost luggage. Annoying, yes, but really. Buy some clean underwear, wash your t-shirt in the sink, and get on with life.

The airline might have given her a toiletries kit; they did for me - once. Even if they didn't, is it really worth a 3 day meltdown? I'm sure Paris still has stores; it did last time I was there. Maybe a trip to the local Bon Marche or whatever is in order.

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:13 PM

Hi normal, yes kids sometimes have to learn the hard way. The school of hard knocks.

Can't she buy some inexpensive lingerie and an inexpesive outfit, take a bath and put on clean clothes while she waits for her luggage? That is what I would do.
I hope her wandering luggage gets to her ASAP.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:20 PM

There are some vintage clothing shops in Paris near the Pompidou Centre, where she could get some inexpensive outfits (I know my daughter has done this). A cheap department store is Tati, with various locations all over Paris. She can have fresh clothing and a shower!
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Yes I know that most of us would have gone out today and purchased some toiletries and a few articles of clothing to tide us over. However, she took the airline's word that her luggage would be delivered today. If she were staying in a hotel there would have been some amenities, soap, shampoo, etc. However she is staying at La Fondation which is a dorm that has a bed, a pillow, some sheets and a phone. Nothing else. The communal bathroom has no amenities other than toilet paper. Thank goodness for that.

I think that since this is the first time she has traveled solo she was totally unprepared for what could happen. Exhaustion, lack of food and a limited knowledge of the language has made it difficult for my normally intelligent daughter to be able to take a deep breath and realize that this is only a few days out of her life. The soaking she received in the Paris rainstorm, the bleeding blisters on her feet, filthy clothing and the fact that she still has to attend her classes has clouded her mind a bit. So please don't be too harsh on her.

She did try to get a few things yesterday but she didn't realize that many places are closed on Sunday in Paris. Today she was able to buy some food but again held off on the clothing, toiletries etc because she fully expected her luggage to be delivered to her dorm.

The airline will be compensating her $200 for the few items she does purchase. But that is small consolation when it is late, everything is closed and what you thought would happen didn't.

This has not turned out as she expected but as I reminded her (though I don't know if she was listening) this too shall pass and her experience in France will improve.

I truly hope that tomorrow will find her luggage delivered to her early so that she can begin to enjoy this opportunity of a lifetime.

Thank you for allowing me to vent my frustration and my concerns here.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM

She can walk to Monoprix supermarket tomorrow morning and buy some toiletries and underware. They open at 9am. There's a large one at the corner of rue de Rennes and blvd St-Germain - about 5 minutes from the Sorbonne - right near the st-germain-des-pres metro and church.

After 3 days I'm not sure Continental knows where the luggage is. I've always had lost luggage delivered that night.

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

She has to attend classes at 8 a.m. tomorrow so she won't be able to get anything til after class. I told her to skip class in order to go buy a few items but she is afraid she will fall behind.

The dorm where she is staying is about a 15 minute metro ride away. But I believe she did tell me that there was a supermarket (like a Walmart) nearby where she can buy some items. I think she is also experiencing sticker shock not having realized fully how expensive things are in France.

I am hopeful that the luggage can be found soon and that it is merely delayed and not lost. That is my prayer.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:28 PM
yk

Are there other girls staying at the dorm?

Can she ask them to let her borrow some shampoo and shower gel so that she can take a shower? Or maybe even a change of clothes? She can wash her underwear with the shampoo/shower gel.

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

She doesn't know any of the other girls in the dorm. She tends to be shy so to go out of her way to ask a stranger is way out of her comfort zone. Were it me I would have already asked someone for help.

I just tried to fed ex her some stuff overnight but I missed the pick up time. It seems that everything that I attempt to do to help her is failing. It is just out of my control and I'm not liking the feeling, not one bit.

Maybe this is one of those life lessons for her that she has to get through and hopefully come out the stronger for it. And yes I know, that if this is the only problem she has in life she is quite blessed. This doesn't compare to what many people in this world go through but to her at this moment it is awful. She is 20 years old but really quite young.

Well hopefully she is sleeping well now and all will work out tomorrow for her.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:24 PM
yk

Did you call Continental and inquire about her lost luggage? Or has it been your daughter the one calling?

Given the description of your daughter (shy, inexperienced), perhaps a more assertive person (ie, you) calling CO may get things really rolling.

If she's in class all day tomorrow, will CO deliver her luggage when she's not around?
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:38 PM

I do really feel sorry for her. Honest. What a terrible start.

But to be so very shy that she doesn't have the gumption to ask someone for a bit of shampoo?? I really think studying on her own in Paris might be too much for her. It would be sooooo simple to just explain to any of her dorm mates "hey guys - I need some help here. Can you believe Continental sent my luggage to some gawd forsaken place. I don't have any soap and I REALLY need to take a shower. Can you spare a bit? I'll be totally indebted to you - eclairs on me next week"

(and she'd feel a lot better after a nice hot shower/clean undies)
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Actually, both she and I called but her cell phone battery was dying so I had to follow up with several calls. After speaking to several very uninterested and unhelpful employees I was able to get a young man that was able to get me an answer as to what happened. He suggested that I call at 7a.m. Paris time to speak to Continental and get information as to where her bag is and to get a detailed explanation as to what the process is going to entail.

So at 1 a.m. my time I will be on the phone again trying to remedy this for her. They will deliver to her dorm and the dorm will hold it for her until she returns.

I am praying that it works out.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:19 PM

14 years of age is probably a bit young to be making your first trip overseas.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:27 PM

The daughter is not 14 - she's 20, based on the post above.

I hope things get better for your daughter.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
J62

Yes, 14 is young to be taking 1st trip overseas alone. This girl is 20. Things could be a lot worse, so hopefully she'll get it all straightened out quickly & be able to enjoy her 1mo in Paris.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you...I know that in a few days with a shower and some fresh clothing she will have a new outlook.

I was thinking that I might be able to place an online order with a store similar to Walmart and have some items delivered to her. Does anyone know if this is possible in Paris?
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:37 PM

Just a thought and maybe I missed it in an earlier post, but have you gone online to trace the bag. Continental has a page on their site to use the tracking number that they give you when you report the lost bag. Maybe you can get some earlier information before 1 am.

Good luck.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

I ckd Continental's site and it says that it was p/u by the delivery service and was being processed/delivered but that information is incorrect according to the delivery service.

I don't know who to believe anymore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO