Losing weight while traveling?

Mar 16th, 2001, 01:23 PM
pudgiebaby

Losing weight while traveling?

Okay...don't scream at me for this, but I am working very hard to lose weight (for reasons of health more than beauty) and have been doing very well. But the last time I went to Europe I came back with an extra 10 pounds (all that good food, chocolate and beer!) I'm going again for two weeks in April and would love any tips for managing portions, things to avoid, healthy "local" snacks etc while traveling. We'll be in Ireland, UK and France.
Thanks
PudgieBaby

Mar 16th, 2001, 01:33 PM
Barbara

Walk, walk and walk. When we we in Europe for two months last year my husband lost weight (I didn't). We had a rail pass so had to do a lot of walking

Mar 16th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Susan

I typically don't lose weight when I'm vacation, but I often maintain or gain 1 or 2 pounds. Considering all the extras that I allow myself, I think it's all the walking. Plus I don't drink all that much alcohol - usually lots of mineral water. It's when I get back from vacation that I gain weight - I'm dealing with that now - we got back on Sunday and I've been in such a slump that I am overindulging, not exercising, basically feeling sorry for myself! Thank goodness it's Friday and the week is over.

Mar 16th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Tina

I've been to Italy 3 times. I eat gelato every day when I'm there--enjoy the good food (pasta, pizza) and I ALWAYS lose a few pounds.

The secret? Walk-walk-walk-walk-walk.

Mar 16th, 2001, 01:48 PM
xxx

I love the chocolate and beer as well, but have found that with all of the extra walking, I can eat whatever I want and still lose weight. I normally gain weight when I get home and continue to eat the same way, but without the same amount of exercise.

With the animal related diseases in Europe right now, you might find that you're going to eat far more veggies and a lot less meat which will help with the weight gain issue.

Mar 16th, 2001, 01:54 PM
guilt-free

Suggestion: If you're healthy and moderately strong, NEXT time consider taking a one-week walking tour. I love them. On these trips, I generally eat a lot more than I do at home but always lose a few pounds because of all the exercise, which I guess gets the metabolism to run on high. If you're overweight (as I am) you will burn even more than the average-weight people doing the same walking.

For now, on your April trip I guess I'd suggest (1) walking a lot, (2) eating only a little taste of chocolate (not a whole bag, i.e. buy by the piece maybe?), (3) avoiding big meals altogether when in places not known for interesting cooking (England? Ireland??)(maybe have almost all your meals as picnics with groceries you select yourself, and using the time usually spent on meals to instead do other things: hiking, theater, museums, etc.) (4) when the weather is appropriate for a picnic, buying the makings of lunch at outdoor markets, fruit grocers, other food stores, where you can control the amount and go heavy on the fruit as a component of lunch. When you're in an area known for good cooking, even if it's richer than the food you normally eat (e.g., in the Dordogne), enjoy your meals and don't deprive yourself, though you could skip desserts unless they really appeal to you a lot (or have the best most seasonal local fruit for dessert). Eating new or interesting or rich food in moderation should be a great pleasure and also a learning experience and not something to feel guilty about. I don't know about England or Ireland, but parts of France have plenty of fairly healthy snacks and good fruit. The food is regional, though, so it may depends on where you're going.

Mar 16th, 2001, 02:24 PM

Mar 16th, 2001, 02:26 PM
OOH

Go anyplace where the guidebooks say 'Don't drink the water'. Then drink the water.

Mar 16th, 2001, 02:27 PM
Al

In America, water is a free good. Clean, fresh, pure drinking water is available everywhere. Try to find a drinking fountain in France, for example. So buy yourself water by the quart (liter!) and swig away. Forget the beer, forget the wine, forget the creamy sauces. And, as others have suggested, walk more.

Mar 16th, 2001, 02:30 PM
John

Pudgeie, I share your pain. Herewith some suggestions:
In the UK and Ireland, skip breakfast. The Great (make that Greasy) British Breakfast is a train wreck calorie- and fat-wise. I for one have a devil of a time turning down any "free" meal, so B&Bs or hotels which include the fry-up brekkies are deadly. Better a cup of tea and a bun at some shop around 10 AM or so than having to expend the 1000kcal. of egg, sausage, fried bread, etc.
In France, make lunch the big meal of the day; you'll save money too. Then you'll have the afternoon and evening to walk some of it off. And have mineral water with meals rather than wine. It's perfectly acceptable, and if you have it "with gas" it can help fill you up a little, too. And regarding sweets, get a box of the best, most decadent, expensive chocolates you can find, then ration ONE piece to yourself as a reward and to satisfy the urge.
Keep up the good work.

Mar 16th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Leslie

Try to drink as much water as possible. It will keep you hydrated and will fill you up. Try to eat several smaller meals during the day insted of 3 big ones. It will keep your metabolism moving. Finally, I highly suggest Solid Protein bars. I weight lift and they are full of protein, low in carbs and sugars. They will fill you up very quickly so you won't be as tempted to go overboard eating.

Mar 16th, 2001, 02:43 PM
Beth Anderson

Hi,

Usually I just maintain what I've got.

One trip, about 8 years ago, I think I lost about 10 pounds though. mostly cuz I was backpacking, eating at weird times, and actually sometimes living off the Nutella I carried in my pack - I'd pick up a baguette & milk for the train ride or something... and usually didn't get to eat real food until my destination. basically, I had crappy eating habits and ended up being REALLY skinny when all was said and done. BUT, I also gained muscles - throwing that big pack around, up over my head, onto train/luggage racks way up high - I was in great shape.

I say, you are on vacation, eat what you want but don't overdo. and yeah, walk til you drop. You will be gone for two weeks - which is long enough, given some healthy habits during those two weeks, to see a difference. and maybe you'll like walking so much you'll do it more at home too - you know, don't they say it only takes three weeks to make something a habit? start walking a week or two before you go, get in the swing now!!

chocolate is my weakness,

Beth

Mar 16th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Beth Anderson

oh yeah, that 10 pound wonder - I was gone a month - that's why I meant, when you are gone longer - you can kinda get into a more healthy routine than sitting at a desk...

Mar 16th, 2001, 03:48 PM
StCirq

In the UK I invariably lose weight, as I find it so hard to find things I want to eat that aren't Indian or Chinese - and those cuisines don't put weight on. In France, if you're looking to keep down the calorie count, order salads. They come in so many wonderful varieties and are delicious and usually enough for a full meal. Shellfish and fish are also wonderful in France and can be ordered broiled with just a bit of lemon and butter. Stay away from the patisseries and you should do fine!

Mar 16th, 2001, 06:16 PM
oo

good topic! Let's top it!

Mar 16th, 2001, 07:58 PM
xxx

St. Cirq! Life is entirely too short to stay away from patisseries when in France. For Pete's sake, that's why I GO to France.

Mar 17th, 2001, 10:35 AM
pudgiebaby

Thanks everyone- This is excellent advice. I promise I'll send an update when I get back and let you all know if I gained or lost...PudgieB

Mar 17th, 2001, 03:46 PM
Donna

Whenever we go to Paris, we eat whatever we want and always return home slimmer - from all the walking. I can't imagine "staying away" from the wonderful offerings available only while there!

Mar 17th, 2001, 04:51 PM
25pounds

Boy does this thread hit a raw nerve with me! I am about to leave for a week in Paris having worked very hard to lose 25 pounds over the last 9 months. Now I'm packing lots of masking tape - either to tape my mouth shut or to tape my pants shut! In all seriousness, I would appreciate suggestions on how to survive and still enjoy Paris cuisine. I should add, we're going there because, among other things, my husband wants to show me what good dining is really like, so I don't think eating bag lunches (no matter how good) will do on a daily basis. Here, I eat lots of salad and veggies, and will do so there (I'm glad to hear they are available and are good in Paris) but I don't want to miss out of good cuisine. One thing we do here frequently is sharing. I order an appetizer and salad, my husband orders an entree and we split it all between us. Will we be able to do this in Paris or will they scoff? As for deserts, they are my nemesis, but I really don't want to waste the calories on anything less than the best. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. By the way, we're renting an apartment so we will have a kitchen for breakfast. What do you recommend?

Mar 17th, 2001, 07:41 PM

to the top

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO