Reload this Page >

Lorraine or Limousin???

Search

Lorraine or Limousin???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Buzzy

Lorraine or Limousin???

I'm looking at two destinations for next July/August.<BR><BR>We really enjoy swimming in lakes but obviously need good weather to enjoy it.<BR><BR> Which destination would be warmest at that time of year? If you were going to pick one of them which one would it be and why?<BR><BR>Thanks Buzzy

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 01:47 PM
StCirq

Where in the Limousin are you focusing on? It's the poorest of France's regions and much of it is rather unscenic, compared with the rest of the country. But it would likely be warmer than Lorraine.<BR><BR>If you're interested in lakes, take a look at this lovely little lakeside resort I discovered in my wanderings onthe backroads of France in June. I'm sure there are other websites with information about it also.<BR><BR>http://www.ville-soreze.fr/html/TL/lacs.html

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 10:07 AM
clairobscur

Didn't noticed this one.<BR><BR>The Limousin would be warmer than Lorraine during summer.<BR><BR>I would pick Limousin. It's indeed out of the way, but I strongly disagree with it not being scenic. There are many forests, moors, castle ruins worth to be seen. The landscape depends on where exactly you go, of course, but the most common scenery are hills covered with forest with a little village now and then. There are many rivers and little lakes. I would also mention the moors and heather-covered plateaus in its eastern part. <BR><BR>Limousing is a real "deep France" region, and not touristed. You shouldn't go there if you expect towns with a great nightlife, great museums or famous monunents. You should go there if you like peaceful places, outdoors, walking in forests, old villages with centuries-old houses build in granite, and want to have a feeling of what "deep France" is like out of the beaten paths.<BR><BR>Of course, it would depend on where exactly you intend to stay. In any case, you'll need a car.<BR><BR><BR>Now, I must admit I'm partial. I've been brought up in a little village in Limousin, and this region is home to me, and my reference. For instance, wherever I go, I often think : "well...it's beautiful here, but there's definitely not enough trees and not enough water, and anyway, it's too flat". I took a lot time to me to realize that I was actually always comparing uncouciously the place with Limousin, and that anyplace where a forest didn't extend to the horizon didn't have "enough trees" or wasn't "green enough" for my taste.<BR><BR><BR>I wrote a short post about Correze somewhere one or two years ago, and I'm going to search for it...

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 10:11 AM
clairobscur

Here it is :<BR><BR>I felt the need, for my first page, to present to you the region I've been brought up into: Correze. You most certainly never heard of it, or, if by chance you did, you never thought about spending some days there. However, let me give you some hints about this place I love. <BR><BR>Correze is situated in the south-west quarter of France, beetwen the old mountains of Auvergne and the rich plains of Perigord. It's a region of forest-covered hills and amongst them, brooks and streams run to rejoin the still young Dordogne river. It's the "Pays Vert" : the green country<BR><BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 10:13 AM
clairobscur

Where could I talk about Correze except in `Off the beaten path`. It`s one of the most `Off the beaten path` region in France. Correze is not a place for you if you feel the need to rush to feel alive. It`s not a place for you if you if you like drinking and dancing all night long. It`s not a place for you if you care only for the most famous monuments and the greatest museums. Correze is a place for you if you like to feel close to nature,to discover natural life in the heaths and turf-moors of the plateau `de millevaches` (of one thousand springs) or to explore the beautiful and secluded gorges of Dordogne. It`s a place for you if you like horse riding in the Monedieres hills, covered with forest, or just hiking, following narrow paths, along with a donkey loaded with your backpacks. It`s a place for you, if you like to drive on roads where you`ll seldom see another car, discovering the impressive ruins of the medieval fortresses of Merle or Ventadour, standing on the top of a hill, in the middle of nowhere, or finding tiny villages and their old churches and farmhouses, build out of granite centuries ago. It`s a place for you if you can appreciate the simpliest things, walking amongst the trees, hoping to find some delicious mushrooms, swimming in one of the numerous little lakes, or simply let the time pass by, drinking a `canon ` ( a glass of wine), outside the caf&eacute;, quietly looking at a beautiful sunset over the hills and perhaps hearing two elders, still speaking the old occitan language, which will soon be forgotten... <BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 10:44 AM
clairobscur

Cioncerning lakes, the most well-known in Limousin is the "lac de Vassiviere" in the Haute-Vienne department.<BR><BR><BR>The most interesting department of the three parts of the Limousin region is Correze (and this time I think it's an objective statement...there is more to see there than in the other two). The least interesting part of Correze being IMO its western part, around Brive, which is roughly similar to Dordogne, but less beautiful....

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 10:47 AM
clairobscur

Finally :<BR><BR><BR>St-Cirq, if you belittle Limousin once again, I'm going to begin a major vendetta. My homeplace's online honor is at stakes...

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 11:26 AM
StCirq

Clairobscur: I only belittled it once,and not very harshly, but I'm truly sorry to have offended your terroir. <BR><BR>Thank you for posting the information on the Corr&egrave;ze.<BR><BR>My one foray into the Corr&egrave;ze was a 4-day excursion to Ussel a couple of years ago to see the Incroyable Piquenique....but I can already tell if I provide any details you might declare all-out war. <BR><BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 11:41 AM
clairobscur

Ok...i'm beginning to look like I'm working at the tourism office, but I wanted to post a link to a picture of my favorite place in Correze, the ruins of Merle. The picture is at the bottom of the page, the other pictures are from the village of Argentat (the page is in english):<BR><BR>http://perso.wanadoo.fr/souvigne/argentuk.htm<BR><BR>Here's another page in english with links to various pictures :<BR><BR>http://trans.voila.fr/ano?anolg=65544&anourl=http%3A//lonzac.ifrance.com/lonzac/<BR>