Lord of the Rings in French? Seeking help from foderite Waring

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In March of this year there was a discussion on French Language Films and I think a foderite called "waring" said Lord of the Rings had french subtitles and audio that matched word for word. A rare find!

I was elated cause that's exactly what I'm looking for to improve my French, but after going to Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, and checking amazon.com, amazon.ca, amazon.fr and making general web searches, I can't find any Lord of the Rings DVDs available to rent or buy with the french audio and subtitle option.

Perhaps this was something on older DVDs that's been discontinued, I don't know, but I'm trying to get in touch with waring about this to find out where he got his DVD.

Thanks for any help
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 09:58 PM

Hi, I'm not waring but I had a look on Amazon.fr and found this box set which has both audio and subtitles in French and English. http://preview.tinyurl.com/2g6bge
It's a zone 2 DVD though, so you'd need to make sure your DVD can play it.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks hanl. Don't know how I missed it when I looked there before. Yes, I'm in the US but I think the DVD will work in my computer DVD drive, don't you? Maybe that's where waring got it.

By the way, what is the link you provided which requires a second click to get redirected to amazon.fr?
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Original Poster

oh I see, the site makes a long web address into a short one -- slick.

I guess the question is answered, but I'm gonna try to wait to hear from waring all the same.

Thanks again hanl.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 11:11 PM

Yes, tinyurl.com is just a website where you can enter a URL and get a much shorter one that's easier to post. I prefer the "preview" version so that people know where the link leads.
As for the Lord of the Rings version, that's the box set we have at home; I've never checked whether the French subtitles and audio are completely in sync as I don't really like watching dubbed films... but I'm intrigued, so might just check it out this evening!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 11:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I know several anglophones in France who like to activate French subtitles when watching something in French in order to better catch some of the dialogue.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 11:59 PM

Kerouac, my French husband does the same thing when we watch DVDs in English. It's actually helped him improve his English a lot!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I've learned spanish pretty well simply by watching HBO Latino at night with closed captioning turned on. They follow the dialogue almost perfectly for 9/10 movies. Want to revive my French this way, but not so easy in US to find french films with CC or subtitles that CLOSELY match the actual dialogue. This also may help me keep the two languages compartmentalized in my head, so to speak.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 06:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
If it is available, I will watch any French language film with French subtitles turned on. Really helps when they talk fast, and they always talk fast. And if it doesn't match the dialogue exactly, it's a good exercise to see the difference.

Also, when watching French language films with English subtitles, it is interesting to see the different ways the dialogue can be translated.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 04:24 AM

Waring normally posts on the Caribbean board.