Looking for Venitian chandeliers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a particular place in Venice to buy a glass chandelier? I don't really want to spend a day in Murano, and have heard there are some nice shops in Venice itself. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 03:14 AM
ira

Hi peggy,

We found the shops that ring St Mark's square to have prices the same as in Murano.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Ira: Thanks, that's good to know. Do you know if these shops will make up chandeliers to order and then ship?
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 03:21 AM
ira

I know that they will ship them.

What do you mean by "make up chandeliers to order"?
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Ira: I have friends who were in Venice several years ago and came upon a shop where the proprietor asked about the dimensions of their dining room, showed them some of his work, different styles of glass etc and they agreed on a price and a few months later they had a fabulous chandelier made specifically to their taste for their dining room. Unfortunately they can't remember the location of the shop.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 04:36 AM

Here are links to two glassmakers that say they make custom chandeliers. Both are on Murano but may have shops in Venice.

http://www.paginegialle.it/pg/cgi/pg...p;cc=340580220

http://www.gallianoferro.it/chieng.htm

The second one sounds as if it prefers to deal with professional decorators...

Three of the big Venetian glassmakers -- Pauly, Seguso and Venini -- have shops on or near Piazza San Marco, but they specialize in modern art glass rather than traditional Murano glass.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 06:24 AM

You also have to make sure that the wiring will be compatible with the electrical requirements of your home country, or else have it rewired when you get it home.

Eloise, is there a shop now named Seguso? I had understood that the designer Seguso had died quite some time ago, though I know the name had been sold (or perhaps it is a relative of the original designer) to allow the name to be signed on some items sold through Pauly and Venini. I hadn't realized that an independent shop had opened under the Seguso name.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:56 AM

Elaine, I have to admit I was relying only on my visual memory from a year ago of the Seguso store on Piazza San Marco. I knew Archimede Seguso had died, but I just presumed someone, probably from the family, as you say, had taken over.

I feel a little vindicated that there is a listing in the Pagine bianche for Venice for Vetreria Artistica Archimede Seguso Srl at S. Marco, 143.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:21 PM

I am curious...what do these cost low range to high range
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:35 PM

Eloise, I was just having a senior moment, I do recall the shop now, and in fact I have a small item from that shop with Archimede's signature on the bottom. Clearly not really HIS signature since he's dead and the piece is new, but you know what I mean.

Price of chandeliers, made to order or otherwise: Many thousands of any currency you care to name, especially at the shops we're talking about.
There are deals to be had on ebay, but there's a loss of cachet.

Murano chandeliers can also be purchased in the USA, here in New York there are many shops on the Bowery that carry them, and at favorable prices.
Again, not the same as buying one in situ.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Eloise: Thanks for the info on the web sites for the Murano places. I will check them out. Also, my friend has just unearthed the name and location for the item she bought, and as soon as she gets it to me I'll post here in case anyone else may be interested.