Looking for Luxury on Santorini

Jul 17th, 2001, 01:48 PM
anne

Looking for Luxury on Santorini

Can anyone help -- willing to spend the money for luxury!

Jul 17th, 2001, 03:25 PM
David

One of the most ritzy places on Santorini has got to be the Villa Vedema Hotel part of the Sheraton Group of Luxury Hotels at www.luxurycollection.com

Jul 17th, 2001, 03:32 PM
lottie

I've always wanted to stay at Katikies in Oia. Beautiful from the Outside, and has been written up as wonderful in just about every upscale travel magazine. Here's their ebsite: http://www.katikies.com/

Jul 18th, 2001, 04:56 AM
Mikki

Anne,

I stayed at Villa Vedema last year and loved it. The service, food and atmosphere are excellent. It is the most luxurious hotel on the island. You will probably want a car if you stay there. The only negative is that there is no caldera view...but you can get that on your trips to Oia, Fira, etc.

Jul 18th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Robin

I stayed at Katikies two years ago and would highly recommend it BUT I don't know if it would meet your standard of luxury. It's comfortable and charming, but the rooms are simple in a rural Greek sort of way. I don't know how to describe it, but it's not the Four Seasons. Please don't misunderstand-- I'm not trying to be a snob, and I did love the hotel, but I would hate for anyone to have unrealistic expectations.

Jul 18th, 2001, 12:00 PM
Melissa

My husband and I are going to Santorini in September and wanted to stay in a luxury hotel but also wanted a caldera view-what was suggested to us by a few fodorites was to spend a few nights at Vedema for the luxury and a few nights in Oia for the view (we are staying at Perivolas in Oia which has a website and was written up in conde naste)-we are spending 2 nights in each-hope that is helpful

Jul 18th, 2001, 12:04 PM
Robin

Just checked out Villa Vedema's web site-- itlooks wonderful! Did anyone notice that it is a Starwood property? Now that's worth saving points for!

Jul 18th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Robin

Oh. I see David already mentioned it. Silly me.

Jul 18th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Dolorose

Hi:
My husband and I were in Santorini last year for a week.
For a caldera view/luxury, I would recommend Perivolas.
I think it's rated higher than Katikies.
Perivolas and Katikies are also on Oia.
Villa Vedema is more inland, which is a waste bacause you go to Santorini for the LOCATION and SETTING...
For a daily view of the volcano/caldera, and proximity to the world-class sunset by the water, Perivolas can't be beat.

Jul 21st, 2001, 09:36 AM
Tammy & Brian

Hi,Anne and everyone kind enough to reply. Anne, this is a wonderful post, great idea. I hope you don't mind my asking a question under your post. We are happily planning our honeymoon, and while reading all of these wonderful replies we are wondering which place is best for romance and gorgeous views of the sea/caldera. Please advise: Perivolas, Esperas, Katikies, or Atlantis Villas, all in Oia - or Sun Rocks in Firostephanine? Thank you for being so helpful to those of us going for the first time.

Jul 24th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Alee

Perivolas all the way! Trust us on this one.

Jul 24th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Kathy

I just went to Santorini in May, 2001. Two great places to stay with wonderful caldera views are Astra Apartments and Rocabella Studios (www.roccabella.gr). Check out both of their web sites and you will fall in love with the view. The sunsets over the caldera are gorgeous.

Both of these place are between Fira and Oia so you will want a rental car. Or you can do like we did. Just take a taxi to your resort and enjoy the reosrt for a day without a car. Then, when you're ready, the resort will make arrangements for the rental car people to come to you.

If you go to Roccabella, say Hi to Bill, the bartender (from Dianne & Kathy from Ohio). He speaks wonderful english.

Jul 25th, 2001, 08:49 PM
KS

I vote for the Perivolas, I stayed there in Sept. 2000 and it was fabulous. The whole reason to visit Santorini is the caldera, so stay at a hotel perched upon the it. The Perivolas is the best on the caldera and the view is incredible.The Villa Vedeme is great but why stay in Santorini without the view? Might as well vacation on another island.