Reload this Page >

End of Clothes Converstaions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 05:47 AM
Hiho

Despite numerous clothes related posting here over the past few weeks, we are still getting new ones regarding what is the proper attire for Americans in Europe. <BR> <BR>Here is the DEFINITIVE rule: Americans in Europe should dress up - no shorts, no t-shirts, no primary colors (only black), and of course, NO SNEAKERS. OR JEANS. <BR> <BR>Europeans would never be caught dead in such attire. I doubt there are even a pair of jeans ont he whole entire continent - from Gibralter to Spitsbergen, from Istanbul to the Aran Islands. <BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 06:13 AM
XXX

OH GO SOAK YOUR HEAD , THE SWELLING MAY GO DOWN

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 06:17 AM
I'vebeentoEuropetoo

Hiho, there is NO definitive rule on how Americans should dress in Europe; this is only YOUR opinion.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 06:24 AM
justtrying

I believe Hiho is exercising a bit of sarcasm here. What he failed to mention is that the only two brands of shoes that you can wear are Easy Spirits and Echoes.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 06:41 AM
xxx

Is Hiho a male or female?

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 06:51 AM
yyy

Do we care (whether Hiho is male/female/neuter)?

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:13 AM
Gran

Hiho is a blow-hard troll who yearns to be the One Who Gives Rules. Good thing there are forums like this one where he/she is harmless. But saying that you can't buy jeans in Europe is a giveaway for the sarcasm behind the whole post. <BR> <BR>Still, there's a decided slant to this and most conversations about clothes with respect to Americans that assumes that all US tourists are young and have poor taste. I'm sorry if there are a lot of those with all that New .com Money invading, but not all Americans fit that stereotype. And not all Americans are dying to wear jeans and t-shirts without worrying about whether Europeans will shun them as Ugly Americans. <BR> <BR>Do I EVER wear shorts, t-shirts, primary colors, or jeans? Primary colors look crummy on me, shorts and t-shirts were out after my second child, and denim is way too hot in the summer. <BR> <BR>Some of us wear skirts or jumpers, or slacks instead of jeans if male, with light cotton shirts or jerseys, etc., in muted colors or black and white, so a travel wardrobe isn't all that different -- just a matter of what washes and dries quickly and doesn't wrinkle much. <BR>Reneakers -- depends on what qualifies as a sneaker -- vs. running shoe vs. leather walking shoe vs. canvas slip-on, etc. If you're a tourist, you aren't going to wear shoes Europeans are wearing to go to work. <BR> <BR>Isn't "Hiho" a kind of cracker? <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:14 AM
hiho

thank you to just trying, in the above post <BR> <BR>and might i ask...where are xxx and yyy and zzz, etc. from? i am not familiar with a language that uses such names

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:38 AM
xxx

We're from the Land of the Alphabet. Hiho, are you from Dwarf Land?

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:44 AM
bbb@

xxx, <BR>I, too, am from the Land of the Alphabet. <BR> <BR>Gran, <BR>Hiho will have to fight the obnoxious Oaktown Traveler to be the reigning One Who Gives Rules. <BR> <BR>Hiho, <BR>Well . . . ARE you male or female (or neither of the above??)

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:52 AM
hiho

Dearest bbb...and how do you pronounce your name? <BR> <BR> <BR>and my gender has an "m" in it

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:56 AM
bbb

Hiho, <BR>My name is pronounced bbb. <BR> <BR>Hmm ... from your gender answer, seems you're not sure.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 10:24 AM
comedy

Hiho: I've seen your threads recently (kind of hard to miss all of them). You seem to have a sense of humor, which is always a nice addition to this board. However, make sure your material is actually fresh, clever and funny. This was not one of your better posts, and your xxx, yyy, zzz laguage reply fell flat. Be careful, lest you become known as "Hohum".

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 10:27 AM
hiho

fee fi fo fum <BR>look at what hiho's become <BR> <BR>dear comdey - thank you for your kind words...i do try to be fresh, but i admit that i often fall short..i will try to do better

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 10:42 AM
Capo

Whenever you fall short, we'll refer to you as Loho. :~)

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 12:50 AM
D.

O.K. the jeans comment is over exaggerated..you can wear jeans in europe, there are jeans that are dressier than others...i have li