Reload this Page >

Looking for ideas- Christmas vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:38 AM
militarytraveler

Hello everyone, we are desperate for some ideas on where to spend our Christmas vacation. We are currently living in Germany so we can check that off our list (although we do love it). We are looking for snow and a bit of seclusion and fabulous views, we are budget minded but not desperately poor!Will have a toddler in tow so skiing is probably not a viable option but mountains would be nice. Have been tossing around Austria or maybe northern Finland but not sure--- does anyone have any favorites that they have done or any fantasy trips to share? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:06 PM
beeper

When my husband was a kid his family lived in Stockholm for a year while his dad was on sabbatical. Neither my husband nor his sister has ever forgotten the Christmas they spent there. I would love to spend Christmas in Sweden.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Gail

Hi Military traveler! I like the idea that Beeper had for spending Christmas in Sweden. I would check out the Scandinavian countries. I could have sworn also that I have seen several travel magazines cover this very topic.<BR>If I find them rooting through my back issues I will post for you.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:17 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Xmas in Scandinavia is magical.<BR>Jul bord is a must.<BR><BR>However, the ski resorts are a long way North and there is little daylight.<BR><BR>The ski runs are floodlit , but 2 hrs daylight, or less, is depressing.<BR><BR>Most Scandinavians go skiing around Feb/ March to get longer days.<BR><BR>Peter<BR>Ex Scandinavian resident<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:11 PM
militarytraveler

Thanks for the replies so far--- Scandanavia has always peaked my interest. Beeper, can you tell me what your husband did or saw or felt while in Stockholm that really set it apart for him? I have these pictures in my head of fireplaces, hot cocoa, warm sweaters and snow...

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:58 PM
beeper

The things my husband talks about the most are the celebrations--the candlelight, the food and good cheer, the general holiday mood. Lots of parties, lots of hospitality. Tremendous beauty in the old buildings, the decorations, the snow outside and the warmth indoors. He was a kid so I'm sure some of this is romanticized. Rent "Fanny and Alexander" for the Christmas scenes to get an idea of what I mean--he said his Christmas was a lot like that one. Also, earlier in December Sweden celebrates St. Lucia's Day, which he particularly remembers as his sister was involved in the ritual daughter-of-the-house activities and he himself was a "Star Boy".

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 06:52 AM
elina

Stockholm does not necessarily have a white Christmas nowadays. Neither does any other Scandinavian capital, they are too south. I live in Finland near Helsinki, and only about every other Christmas is white, and the snow that also stays comes in early January. BUT there is lots of snow in eastern Finland and Lapland. You get easily up there by plane, because Finnais flies to 5 airports in Lapland. Yes, there is very little daylight, but that is just it: you have candles, fireplaces, tar torches outside, and if you are lucky – northern lights dance purple and green over the black sky. And the good thing about the snow is that it actually gives light.<BR><BR>You can rent a log cabin, but take it near some skiing center hotel, so you can enjoy hotel´s services if you feel like it. Take reindeer or dog safaris, ride a motor sledge, bathe in a sauna and roll naked in snow on top of it... All the hotels also have traditional Chritmas buffets and Santa Claus comes visiting Christmas Eve.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 09:57 AM
militarytraveler

OH Elina-- that sounds really wonderful!<BR>My Grandfather was born in Finland and I have always wanted to come and visit there. Can you recommend any wonderful towns up north to stay? Seeing the Northern Lights would a great Christmas gift I think! Is it expensive to stay up north? Thank you for the reply.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 08:09 AM
elina

Hi! I almost missed your question. The next site shows you what the darkness means:<BR><BR>http://www.laplandfinland.com/?deptid=7588<BR><BR>Rovaniemi is the only actual town in the north, but even that is small. There are villages, holiday centers, spas, log cabin villages, hotels by the recreation areas, and so on. And the areas around Lake Inari (with villages Ivalo and Inari) are the principal Sami areas (the only aboriginal people in Europe).<BR><BR>In the next adress you find the official pages of Finnish Tourist Agency. From there you will also find all winter holiday spots. <BR><BR>http://www.mek.fi/frameset.html<BR><BR>You find a nice "A Journey in the Footsteps of Elves" from this adress:<BR><BR>http://www.finland-santa.com/ unveiling_finland.html<BR><BR>It opens a bit slowly, but gives you an idea what I mean. Those people are looking for elves, but they have migrated to north. Finally they find the house of the elves on Christmas Eve...

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 08:19 AM
elina

OK, something wrong with that "Elves Footsteps" adress, but you will find it also if you click "White Christmas" on the Tourist Agency´s pages.