Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for clean & reputable hotels in Venice, Florence and Rome!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After much researching and discussions about my upcoming trip to Italy in Sept 2015, I have decided to forgo the "bus type tour" (which initially I thought would be easier, less intimidating in a foreign country and less stressful- of which I was advised in most cases would not be the case from many well travelled folks here on Fodors) but....
after just reading a recent poster on this website claim "Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews"....
I am back to posting another question!

I actually did quite a bit of reading on the Tripadvisor (as I am not familiar with other similar sites) looking for good, clean, well run hotels in Venice, Florence and Rome and had narrowed a few down but now I am back to asking my fellow travellers.....help....!

Because I have never been to Europe, I have no idea if a four star in the US equates to a four star hotel in Italy. Not being familiar with any other sites similar to TA, I have in fact, trusted Tripadvisor on many trips to cities such as New York, Seattle, San Francisco, Nashville,Orlando, Montreal etc and actually always found the hotels I chose to be excellent based on high ratings from TA. (please no posts on how naive this may be- I am saying it worked for me many times)
I myself, have posted glowing reviews on a number of hotels in these listed cities.
I do believe it can be a useful tool in selecting hotels, tours, restaurants etc.

If anyone here has some great suggestions for clean, fairly central, friendly hotels in any of these Italian cities... that would be greatly appreciated! (price max $400/night)
thanks to all in advance!
Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 03:46 PM

Another review site is www.booking.com. Unlike tripadvisor where anyone can post, booking.com only allows those who have actually booked there can post within a short time period after the stay. However, people are reporting that bad reviews can get exorcised. I look at both tripadvisor and booking.com, select ones in top part of recommended range, dropping ones with appearance of planted raving reviews.

Do not rely only on star ratings. It is a facilities rating in Italy. Things like having an elevator, rooms over certain size, 24hr front desk staff, bilingual front desk, etc. add stars. They can treat you like dirt and put you in a tired room and still get stars because it is a facilities rating. One of the most memorable stay in Italy was at a tiny 2 star inn. One inn keeper who did not speak English (low star) ran this 6-room inn without elevator (another star ding) and was there 7am to 6pm (star ding). But she was very helpful and friendly in helping plan our stay and booked good tables at local restaurants.
Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 04:05 PM

Just search on the Forum for what you want--such as Venice Hotel---you will find many posts. This may help:

BEST MID-RANGE 3 STAR HOTELS: Prices will vary from 150 to 400E

www.locandaorseolo.com Rave reviews near San Marco

www.lacalcina.com Popular hotel in Dorsoduro on Zattere

www.pensioneaccademia.it A Venice standard near Grand Canal

www.cadeidogi.it Small hotel in Castello with decent prices

www.cortegrimani.com Diverse family apts. in good location

www.hotelflora.it/en/ Love this location and their garden

SMALL HOTELS & B&B: PRICES VARY FROM 100E TO 250E AND BY SEASON
www.corte1321.com Helpful hosts in San Polo area

www.alpontemocenigo.com/en/index.htm Popular hotel off-path

www.guesthouse.it Great value in quiet neighborhood location

NICER 4 STAR HOTELS: prices range from 250 to 500E—vary by season
www.ponteantico.com Lovely place at Rialto on Grand Canal

www.capisanihotel.it/ Boutique hotel near Accademia Bridge

http://www.liassidipalacehotel.com/ Lovely amenities in Castello

WILD CARD OPTIONS: Hotel & apartment options with good prices:
http://www.aitagliapietra.com/ Well priced B&B in Castello

http://www.palazzettodaschio.it/ Apts. in a real 16th century villa

www.locanda-sanbarnaba.com/ Nice 3 star at Ca Rezzonico stop
Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 05:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I would definitely stay in these hotels again.

Florence
We spent about 10 days based in Florence and knew we were going on a fair number of day trips. We wanted a hotel that was very close to the train station but still in the historic center of town. Hotel Roma is right on the renovated Piazza Santa Maria Novella. It's a 5-8 minute walk to the Uffizi Museum to a 3-4 minute walk in the opposite direction to the train station. About 6-7 minute walk to the Duomo.

Venice
Again, we knew we wanted to take several day trips so wanted to be within walking distance to the train but still pretty close to the Rialto Bridge and St Mark's Square. Hotel Ca' d'Oro is located in an excellent spot and I would definitely stay there again. It did take us a few minutes to fins it but that's normal for Venice.

Rome
We stayed at Hotel Cesari. It's located within walking distance to most of the sights. A couple of minutes to the Fountain of Trevi and Spanish Steps. The main sights almost encircle the hotel.

All of the above are well under $400 per night.
Hope these help.
Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 07:28 PM

My favorite in Rome is Hotel Portoghese, and we also like, but maybe not as well, the nearby Hotel due Terri. Convenient, clean, comfortable, good breakfast at the P. Some small terraces at the dT.

Venice, the room with a balcony at the Hotel Ala is quite nice; afternoon gondola train goes by the room.

Our last hotel in Florence was a budget guest house/B&B that we were crazy about for location, price and amenities, but the proprietor was very silent, and might not be a good choice if you want help with sight seeing and reservation. It was Tourist House Ghiberti, and for anyone who knows Florence and can do their own reserving and recommending, it is stellar. It is just that the management are not very forthcoming.
Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Oh, everyone is so helpful!
I actually really liked the sounds of the Ca pisani hotel in Venice , Bobthenavigator!
Thanks will look into all of these suggestions!
I do like the idea of breakfast included because then you can eat as soon as you get up and get on with your day.
Thanks!
Old Dec 24th, 2014, 06:14 AM

We can recommend the following hotels because we have stayed in them many times.

Venice: Hotel Abbazia in Canneregio. It is close the the Santa Lucia train station on a very quiet calle (alley). It is a former Carmelite monastery. The staff is terrific, especially Matteo and Mirco.

Florence: Hotel Albani Firenze on Via Fiume. It is located a few streets over from the Santa Maria Novella train station in a very quiet neighborhood. The Mercato San Lorenzo is a 5minute walk and the Duomo is 5minutes beyond that. The property is 4 star and really nice.
Mario's Hotel on Via Faenza a few streets over from Via Fiume is another place we've stayed a few times. It's a smaller property, but very nice.

Roma: After staying at many hotels in Roma over the past 34 years, we now only stay at a relatively new b&b called B&B Armonio All' Opera on Via Dei Viminale acroos the street from the Roma Opera House. It opened in 2009 and we've stayed there every year since. It's on the 4th floor of a building accessible by a neat antique elevator. The place is very new and the furnishings were made by the owner's family. The location is in a nice neighborhood with easy access to the Metro at Termini or Piazza Repubblica.

All of the places are highly rated on venere.com or booking.com. Any ratings posted on these two sites are made by people who've actually stayed there.

Buon viaggio,
Old Dec 24th, 2014, 09:03 AM

In Venice, I can recommend the Hotel Riva*, at Ponte dell’Angelo. Our room was in the corner, on the first floor (there is no elevator), overlooking the intersection of two small canals. 

Hotel Riva is a small, simple one-star hotel, very quaint and charming. Its lobby is welcoming, and its breakfast room is appealing, with both rooms having windows looking directly out on a little canal where gondoliers glide by every few minutes. It couldn’t be a better location, but it could have a larger bathroom and shower. The hotel is sparkling clean, with marble floors, wooden walls, and glass sconces.
http://www.hotelriva.it/

Another simple hotel is the Casa Rezzonico (which we had also considered for this visit, as its rates are in the range of the Hotel Riva), Dorsoduro, Fondamenta Gherardini 2813, www.casarezzonico.it. It is in a quiet, out-of-the-way location, near a small campo, close to the Accademia. It has an attractive garden area in the center, which some rooms overlook, and where breakfast buffet is served. A good budget choice.

In Florence, we liked the Relais Cavalcanti. a very charming little 'hotel', at Via Pellicceria, 2. It occupies one floor of a building located near the Uffizi gallery, in a very good central location. It's relatively new, with beautiful tile bathrooms, showers, etc. The rooms are very charming, and good-sized. It was 120 EUR for our double/twin, with private bath, which included a 10 EUR upgrade for the better view. Francesca did provide a 5 percent discount for payment in cash. No breakfast is served, but even better I think is that they have a beautiful little dining room/kitchen that is open 24/7 for guests. You have always available the makings for coffee, hot chocolate and tea, plus containers of pre-wrapped pastries and dessert cakes. That's about as much as you get in any Italian B&B for breakfast, and this way you can serve yourself whenever.
http://www.relaiscavalcanti.com/?lang=en

Rome: Domus Julia or Hotel Julia (next door to each other, great breakfast included)
Old Dec 24th, 2014, 11:56 AM

I just noticed your budget of $400 max/night. The hotels I recommend above are way under that amount. The La Calcina in Venice gets very good reviews here. We had brunch there, on their outdoor patio over the water. It was wonderful.
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all! have now booked hotels in Venice, Florence and Rome!
Used booking.com and I love that site!! so helpful in picking hotels!
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 09:58 PM

What places did you choose?
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 10:03 AM

Has anyone stayed at, or know people who have stayed at, Residence Corte Grimani in Venice (near Rialto & St Marks Sq)? My favorite, Locanda Orseolo, has no rooms available for the duration of my upcoming stay. Reviews sound good, especially for the upper floor canal view rooms. Thanks
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 12:54 PM

Bogaboos, I have had more than 1 client stay thee with good reviews---it has a good rep
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

I went off of booking.com and was looking for high ratings plus location and I chose the following:

Venice: Hotel Flora
Florence:Hotel Rapallo
Rome: Hotel Caravita (very small, more B&B vibe to it)

I was glad to see that at any point up until 3 days prior to ck in I could cancel or change if things arose plus I liked the idea of paying at the hotel upon ck out vs. paying now for a room I am staying in 9 months away! It was very handy for me!

Has anyone been to any of these hotels??
thanks!
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 03:39 PM

Bob, thanks for the info on Corte Grimani. I'll probably book it and let you all know about it when we get back.
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 06:55 PM

Erin, sometimes you can get a discount for paying in cash at the hotel, if you ask in advance.
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

I have already been emailing with 2 of the hotels directly so I can certainly ask! I was just nervous to be walking around with alot of cash, especially when I have read of the many pickpocketers around!!
thanks!
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 10:23 AM

Erin, just get the cash on the day you want to pay the hotel. Provided you can get enough out of an ATM to pay the bill. Otherwise, make installment payments to the hotel, as you go. If the savings is worth the trouble.
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 11:29 AM

Paying in cash at hotels for a lesser rate is more often than not a way the hotel tries to avoid paying taxes. There has been a lot of crackdown about these practices, so these "deals" are not as common as they used to be. Even if they were, many Italians will ask you to please not support these tax-dodging schemes. They have damaged Italy very badly, and there is a great demand that they end.

Similarly, with regard to booking.com, hotels (and not just in Italy) have begun accepting reservations through the system, but then offering guests lower rates for canceling their booking.com reservation and re-booking directly with the hotel. That new lower rate is pretty much precisely the commission that would have gone to booking.com.

I don't work for booking.com, but I have come to really appreciate the service they provide. Unlike other hotel booking web engines, they maintain a professional staff to help work out problems, and the website itself is a fantastic way to get precisely want you want and lock it in. If everybody starts trying to get around paying for the service, everybody loses.

If your trip really depends on haggling down or saving a few euros here and there, there are lots of lovely affordable options at the next price category down. The prices being charged in Italy on booking.com are fair prices, and the taxes charged are used to keep tourist destinations clean and safe.
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

well I was pleased with Booking.com and will use this site again in the future!
I found their prices to be fair and very comparable to other sites and I love the security in being able to pay on ck out day and also having the availability to cancel if an emergency arises.I also really like the fact that the reviews are from actual clients who have used these hotel in the past! Huge bonus!
thanks all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -