Reload this Page >

Looking for Cheap Anniversary Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 1999, 07:41 AM
Robbin

My husband and I will celebrate 15 year anniversary in late September. We are looking for an inexpensive trip--1 week. We're not big travelers. Love natural sights, few people and nice dinners. Prefer relaxing non-hectic itineraries. Suggestions? Oh, and I'm talking cheap. Thanks. RC

Old Mar 18th, 1999, 08:00 AM
Maira

Depending won here are you from, the Caribbean is always a good anniversary destination. Relatively short flights, is pretty much everything you described; natural sights, good food, plenty of out of the way places at reasonable prices.

Old Mar 18th, 1999, 08:01 AM
Linda

If you are talking inexpensive, then I recommend Eastern Europe--Prague, Budapest, Cracow. For Prague, check out http://www.avetravel.cz for hotels, penzions in all price ranges. The Charles Bridge at night is honeymoon quality & the architecture interesting. You can still take day trips from the city in September to Kutna Hora, Karlovy Vary, etc. Symphony/Opera is less than $20 for balcony box seat. You can eat with wine very well for less than $30 for 2. Budapest has less tourists & is even less expensive than Prague. You can go on the Danube, shop, explore outlying cities, & go to a spa. The Symphony/Opera is $2-$15, you can eat well with wine for less than $20 for 2. We stayed with a retired English-speaking attorney for $40/night for 2, including breakfast. Cracow is a beautiful city with interesting day trips. Prices there are similar to Budapest & Prague. If you want Western Europe, think about Switzerland--but it is not cheap--Lauterbrennan (Jungfrau Alp), Zermott (Matterhorn Alp), Interlaken.

Old Mar 18th, 1999, 11:19 AM
Christina

I agree with the Caribbean suggestion assuming you are American, or some Mexican resort. Those would be the cheapest, if you like sun/beaches. You'll have to watch for heavily tourist spots, though (a company called Apple Vacations has very good Caribbean packages). After that, try Canada (ie Montreal or Quebec) if you want cooler. European ambiance, low travel fare due to distance and the Canadian dollar is low against the American so travel there is a real bargain compared to Europe. If money is an object, my first recommendation would be Quebec (but I don't like the Caribbean myself). <BR>If you really want Europe, I'm not sure how cheap you expect, but some beautiful, low-keyed places I've been are the Scottish highlands, the English Lake Country and Ireland. Of course, any relatively rural place on the continent might do, but for a oneweek trip, low budget for infrequent travelers, and English-speaking country might be good and airfares to London are about the lowest to Europe. One more idea (weird) -- Iceland, you can get very cheap fare from east coast on Icelandair and that would be low key and few tourists, that's for sure.

Old Mar 18th, 1999, 11:36 AM
ilisa

Icelandair also offers some fabulous package deals to Europe. Some run as low as $299-$399 for three nights in places such as Luxembourg, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, as well as airfare. You can then combine them with a few nights in Iceland at no extra charge.

Old Mar 18th, 1999, 12:31 PM
Robbin

We're not in the mood for the Caribbean for this trip. Iceland? It's so quirky. I like it. Anybody been to Iceland? <BR> <BR>Quebec is possibility. And I've heard Quebec City is beautiful. Comments anyone? <BR> <BR>Anybody have a very rough estimate/suggestions on cost to visit Scottish highlands? Remember this is late September. Many thanks. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 18th, 1999, 01:00 PM
elaine

Quebec is as French and European as you can get without leaving the North American continent. It is charming, historic, walkable, and has wonderful food,and the dollar is certainly in your favor. There are also beautiful daytrips to take, such as to Ile d'Orleans. The best hotel is the Chateau Frontenac, check their prices for weekend deals. If not there probably are many other nice and less-expensive places to stay. <BR>I don't think this is the best forum to gain info on Quebec, perhaps try a Search or posting on the Canada forum. <BR>Good luck. <BR>