London Lodging info Needed!!

Mar 18th, 1999, 06:55 AM
Bob Charlap

London Lodging info Needed!!

Can anybody help me out with a little information?

I will be headed to London in mid April for a short vacation and am looking at a hotel on Sussex Gardens in the Hyde Park area.

It is called the "Europa House Hotel". If anyone would like to put their two cents (pence) in I would
appreciate any input be it positive or negative!

Is it a good area for tourists?
Any interesting restaurants about?

Thanks in advance,

Bob Charlap

Mar 18th, 1999, 10:31 AM
wes fowler

Bob,
I don't know the hotel but do know the area having made a reservation for a hotel on Sussex Gardens, sight unseen, some years ago. The area southeast of Paddington Station, including Sussex Gardens, consists primarily of low cost hotels converted from former townhouses.
They appear predominantly to serve transients rather than tourists. I noted signs at more than one that said "No visitors in rooms after 7 PM". The hotel I had reservations for was totally unacceptable; the rooms I checked were unbelievably small and unkempt. We chose not to stay in the area. I did find a good Spanish restaurant on the corner of Sussex Gardens and Spring Street where we were treated like royalty (probably due to my wife's fluency in Spanish). There was also a fine Italian restaurant directly opposite on Spring. The area is definitely not for tourists and certainly not one I'd want to be on the streets of after dark. Praed Street, two blocks north of Sussex is lined with cheap souvenir and money changing shops. All in all, a poor introduction to London.

Mar 18th, 1999, 02:51 PM
Gary

The Royal Sussex House in Sussex Gardens is a delightful small hotel owned by a lovely Italian lady with supreme service and friendly staff. The breasfast is wonderful and its close proximity to Paddington Station makes it an easy home base for accesss to the tube and trains. You can see it all from Sussex Gardens if you use the public methods of transportation. The ethnic restaurants and local pubs are great. I say give them a call!

Mar 18th, 1999, 02:52 PM
Gary

The Royal Sussex House in Sussex Gardens is a delightful small hotel owned by a lovely Italian lady with supreme service and friendly staff. The breasfast is wonderful and its close proximity to Paddington Station makes it an easy home base for accesss to the tube and trains. You can see it all from Sussex Gardens if you use the public methods of transportation. The ethnic restaurants and local pubs are great. I say give them a call!

Mar 18th, 1999, 02:53 PM
Gary

Mar 18th, 1999, 03:07 PM
Bob Charlap

Thanks for the tip I will look them up!
That first response had me worried!!

Thanks to everyone for the input,

Bob