Search

looking for August itinerary ideas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for August itinerary ideas

Hello all....
Carolyn and I will be traveling to Ireland Aug 4th to the 13th. We arrive in Shannon around 8 PM so I'm looking for suggestions on where to stay near the airport.
My plan is to rent a car at or near the airport, then drive to Cork and Kerry. My grandmother and grandfather were from Gneeveguilla and Ballydesmond so I'd like to explore around there ( and the Pobble O'Keefe lands). Any suggestions for B&Bs in that area?
Next stop, Dingle. Ideally we'd like to get one place to stay in the area until the 13th... maybe a cottage, maybe a B&B. I don't really feel like setting up house ala' a weeklong visit to the New Jersey shore (if there are walmarts near Kerry please advise...I'm not sure I could take it).
Longs walks, magnificent views, great local music and a not-too-cold Guinness at the end of the day....oh, and food. Am I asking too much?
I know, I know it will be crowded in August. The air travel is nailed down, I'd like to get the rest of the trip reserved soon.
Thanks in advance for the fine suggestions I know will be coming my way.
Denis

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 07:46 AM

Denis,

sounds great! I can't help with locations in County Cork, as we haven't visited there yet.

We stayed in the Greenmount House in Dingle, and it was okay. It is "purpose-built," good in a way, but not the same charm as original older houses like Seamist in Clifden or Shelburne Lodge in Kenmare.

Our visit to Dingle was cut short and we didn't get to explore Slea Head. Still, Dingle Town was pretty lively, even in October. And perhaps it will be a little less crowded than Killarney. Dingle peninsula, what we were able to see of it, is lovely. And the Connor Pass is thrilling.

Definitely rent a car AT the airport; we have used AutoEurope twice with very good service and rates each time.

I would stay at Bunratty Lodge, in the small village of Bunratty, approx. 15 minutes south of the airport.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Do an accommodation search on www.ireland.ie You might want to consider a place in Castleisland, Rathmore or Farranfore (the Kerry Airport. Any of those three should have a reasonable commute to Ballydesmond AND Dingle, without having to deal with the high-season masses at Killarney. We stayed at a self-catering in Killorglin last summer AND we return yearly to Millstreet and Rathmore. We've been to Ballydesmond seeking family links several times (not O'Keefe's, though).

Here's a link to my trip report from last June:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34679685

You can also check out my favorite town, Millstreet, at:
www.millstreet.ie
Lots of local flavor and a good sense of that 'North Cork' sense of community.
I'm sure any good B&B outside of Killarney would be willing to offer a discount for an extended stay. You are probaly too early for the Puck Fair in Killorglin, which makes the town a GREAT place to visit and party, but a HORRIBLE (and horribly expensive!) place to stay, during the festival.
Let us know what you need.
Bob
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 05:27 PM

Ooops! A spot check of
www.ireland.ie/festivals
shows Puck Fair running from 10 Aug - 12 Aug. You might want to VISIT Killorglin, but I suspect that you won't want to stay there OR drive THROUGH, trying to get somewhere...
Didn't realize it was so early in August
Bob
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 06:06 AM

hi, just as an fyi, the weekend of the 4th - 7th August is a bank holiday (public holiday) in Ireland. The majority of Irish people go away somewhere for the long weekend, so you should pre-book all accommodation for that weekend and allow for long delays on main roads.