Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for a Winter Destination in Europe - Moderately warm

Old Apr 9th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Trying to decide where in Europe we could go this winter for about 6 weeks. We want to escape the brutal NE US winters and would like to have weather averaging in the 50's or warmer although weather even in the 40's sometimes would be fine. We enjoy art, museums, ruins, kicking around and exploring small villages and good local food and wine. If the wether is amenable hiking can be good. We generally visit Paris in January/ February and have never minded the weather there -- generally it's a lot milder than what we have back home. We're thinking Southern Italy and Rome. Any thoughts?
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You won't get those temperatures reliably. The only place you could "count on" them would be the Canaries.

Your best other options are Crete, Cyprus or Sicily
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 05:20 AM

I agree---Sicily or Crete.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 05:51 AM

How about Malta? it does have very nice cities if that's what you prefer.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 07:56 AM

Just look at a map, southern places are warmer. If you think Paris is just fine in January, you can go almost anywhere south of that. Of course Rome is warmer than Paris, it's farther south. If you want reassurance, look up monthly historical weather stats on some website, like www.weather.com I think has them. Most guidebooks list monthly temps in some front section, also.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

shiela, bobthnavigator & chilout -- thanks for your suggestions, Sicily is one place we thought of. I need to read up on Malta, hadn't thought about that.

Yes, Christina, I realize all the things u posted. Obviously the further South one goes the warmer it will be and of course Rome is warmer than Paris, duh. I wanted to hear some "real life" experiences, not just look at guidebooks, maps or charts with averages.

Any other suggestions for places would be appreciated.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 10:32 AM

How about Portugal or Southern Spain?
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 10:36 AM

Spain -Andalusia has everything you are looking for.
Seville, Granada, Ronda, Cordoba, Malaga
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Didn't think of Portugal.... And combining with S Spain sounds good. thanks
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 05:39 AM

We spent November in Languedoc-Roussillon and had quite lovely weather. Lots of sun, even when the temperatures started to dip. Every night we'd watch the weather map and notice a little curl of yellow (meaning sunshine) where we were while the rest of France was blue with illustrations of wind, rain or snow!

Off season, the beach towns offer inexpensive lodging possibilities. You could fly into Barcelona, drive to SW France for a month, then head back down to Spain for however longer you want to spend.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 06:48 AM

Portugal sounds really beautiful. But if you're an elderly couple, it might get a little stressful trying to remain very vigilant at all times. According to the latest Frommer's guide, it has become less safe than other places in Europe. Here is the link to Frommer's Portugal guide, read under safety.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3jt...meras.&f=false
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 07:20 AM

Looking for sun in Europe in winter?

We have been attempting this for 42 years.

THE only sure place are The Canaries (which clearly geographically isn't Europe).

Sicily has had good weather this winter, Cyprus less so.

Malaga and Seville or usually safe bets.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 08:07 AM

We spent a month in January or February in the Algarve, the southern coast of Portugal, and really enjoyed it.

It was about 4 years ago, and we had two different time shares.We love Portugal and have been there about 5 times, but had never been to the Algarve before, because it really isn't the real Portugal.

However, it was great in the winter, with no crowds, but a lot to see.
It was Cold, but sunny a lot of the time. the cold was mostly INDOORS, as they don't have heat in lots of places, including our very nice time shares!! It takes a while for the heat to come up in buildings where they haven't had the heat on in months. So after we warmed the place up, it was OK.

Outside it was mostly sunny, and warm at midday, but cool at night.
Beaches were lovely to walk, and there were enough restaurants, etc., open for us to enjoy a variety of very good food.
We also did drives up in to the mnountains for day trips, and up and down the coast.

I doubt if the crime scene is anything like what the above poster said is going on in Lisbon, because there aren't many tourists around down there, and your chance of good weather is much better, like southern Spain, but not as crowded.

We stayed near Alvor, on the "left" coast area, and liked it better than more buildt up areas, (but they are all more built up than i"d prefer.)

We'd go back in a flash, but we sold our time shares after that!!
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 08:45 AM

Nice had wonderful warm weather this January, and there are so many places to easily visit from there, we might make it an annual event.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 09:02 AM

Oh, I would love to think Nice would be warm in the winter. What a lovely area. What sort of temps did you have, tarquin?
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

taconictraveler - we were in Nice at Carnaval a few years back. Temps were fine, not as warm as tarquin described, I recall wearing my winter coat, but was very comfortable.

Portugal/Spain and maybe a side of Morocco (I know, not Europe) may make a nice trip for us.

So sorry to read of the crime in Lisbon-it is such a lovely city. I actually don't think its fun to vacation anywhere terribly crime ridden regardless of one's age.

Thanks for all the ideas!
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 12:59 AM

Temps were in the 60's and 70's F with very little rain. I understand that January weather is not always so warm, but we'll return next year, it's leagues better than the UK.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 01:39 AM

We spent two weeks in Portugal over New Years. Here is our trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...l-20102011.cfm

Some things to note:
1. Didnt find crime an issue AT ALL - felt very safe at all times!

2. The weather was mostly cloudy and rainy, jackets were needed

3. The countryside was devoid of tourists - which made some of the smaller towns feel deserted.

All in all a good time was had - but I wouldnt go there in winter for the weather!
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 01:47 AM

How about Madeira? It's a Portugeuse island in the Atlantic (just slightly further north than the Canaries). Expect daytime winter temperatures of around 17 deg C. Some occassional rain but that's what makes it so green and beautiful. The walking in Madeira is some of the most spectacular anywhere in Europe.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 04:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, Portugal is pretty safe IMO. I lack a lot of confidence in Fodor books and this makes it worse.

The logical areas to travel to are as follows with most interesting museums etc at the top

Spain south coast
Portugal Algarve
Madeira
Sicily
Morocco (Marakesh) ok so its not europe but is so nice and warm and Marakesh has a french quarter
Canaries
Cyprus (but its all a bit dead)
Puglia (but its all a bit dead)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -