Looking for a nice place in Vienna

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Lori

Looking for a nice place in Vienna

I'm traveling to Vienna with my grandmother and would like to find a VERY centrally located inn/hotel/pension that is elegant and upscale, but not too expensive. Close to the ring and St. Stephens is a plus because my grandmother can't walk far distances.

I was thinking about the hotel Wandl, but two reviews on this site said the staff was snooty. Does anyone have a recommendation? The Hotel Austria sounds promising. Any other ideas? We're looking for charm, and hoping to spend about $100 USD/night.

Thanks!

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Wayne

For your price range, I don't think you'll find anything I would classify as elegant. But if you want a pretty good deal in a central location (about 3-4 blocks from St. Stephan's) try the Kartnerhof. The staff is very gracious and helpful.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Linda

I have recommended the Hotelpension Arenberg. It is about a 5-minute walk to Stephensplatz, 2-minute to U-Bahn, bus outside the hotel, 3-minute walk to Air Terminal where buses come from airport. It is a 4* and part of Best Western chain, BUT has posh Vienna feel. Pictures of famous actors, conductors, singers are on the wall autographed to Frau Arenberg, home-made muslei, my room had a nice balcony and bathroom with tub, queen-size bed. It is a nice section of town.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 08:54 PM
beth

Konig Von Ungarn - you can't go wrong

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:49 PM
M. Giggle

I highly recommend the Hotel Royal, Singerstrasse. It's just around the corner from the Stephansplatz, at the intersection of the pedestrian street Kartnerstrasse and the Graben.

Our stay there last summer cost $85 a night (for two!) with a large breakfast included (admittedly on a special -- rack rate is closer to $100, but check around.)

It's a relatively small but upscale and atmospheric little hotel, with an Italian restaurant which is a favorite with visiting opera stars.

The staff were great, the room elegant, and the location can't be improved upon. I would definitely take my own grandmother there, and it's where I'll stay when I return to Vienna.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:58 PM
M. Giggle

Lori, here's the web site:

http://www.abnet.at/hotel/vienna/royal/

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 02:06 AM
BTilke

The Hotel Kaiserin Elisabeth seems to fit your bill. It's a half block from the Kartnerstrasse and a block from St. Stephen's. I took my parents (in their 70s) there for their 50th wedding anniversary and they were very well treated by the hotel management. The hotel has an elevator and air conditioning, FYI.
Single rooms are about $110 a night; doubles a little more, about $130-150, depending on type of room, etc. But a friend is staying there next month, paying $120 a night for a suite, a special he found on the hotel's web site.
BTilke