looking for a nice "local" inn or B&B

Nov 11th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

looking for a nice "local" inn or B&B

I will be arriving in London (Heathrow) in May 08 and going to the port of Harwich and would like any recommendations for a nice local-feeling place to stay for a few nights. Something that is easily accessible to London for day trips. Does anyone have a recommendation? Thanks!
Nov 11th, 2007, 06:42 PM

I assume you are catching a ship out of Harwich. Right? If so, how many days after your arrival at LHR? I personally would not stay near Harwich as a base to visit London. What is your aim - to see London or to stay in the country? Makes a huge difference.

If you want to tour London - I'd get a hotel in London and then just prior to your cruise, I head east to Harwich.

Give us more details and we can give more useful advice. And - what is your budget for accomodations?
Nov 11th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

I am taking a ship out of Harwich. I'll only be around 2 days before leaving on the cruise. I've been to London, just wanted to hangout there and catch up on what's happening. I perfer a smaller, locally own type of hotel and outside of London just because I find it at a slower pace and easier to get to know the others. Budget is under $150-ish per night.
Nov 18th, 2007, 03:20 AM

jkharris:

Here is a site we have used for B&B's in the UK www.smoothhound.co.uk to get you started.

Do you plan to train in to London for your two days in this area?

I agree with janisj you don't want to stay near Harwich for a base to visit London.

Come back with your arrival date in London and actual departure date from Harwich and I am sure you'll get a bit more help.

Sandy
Mar 11th, 2008, 06:55 PM

We found Paston Lodge in Harwich. Email [email protected]. They emailed us back and a double en-suite room was GBP54, single GBP39.
Mar 14th, 2008, 01:48 AM

If you've been to London and want to stay outside the city why bother going back in for day-trips? I wouldn't necessarily stay right in Harwich but East Anglia is a lovely part of the country. You could get a nice village or small town B&B to explore Suffok from.
Mar 14th, 2008, 01:10 PM

nona1: this was the jkharris' one and only thread and s/he hasn't been back on the forum since November. Doubt the OP is still looking for info . . . . . .