Reload this Page >

looking for a hotel with a great concierge in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 12:13 PM
michael

five of us will be going to Paris next May for two weeks, and we are looking for a hotel with an outstanding concierge. we are focusing on the 6th (Latin Quarter or there abouts) and prefereably a three star or maybe a four. with me paying for all of us (my wife, myself and three adult children), i want to try to keep the costs within reason, but i don't mind splurging a bit for something a bit nicer. <BR> <BR>what are your favorite hotels/concierges?

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 12:22 PM
elaine

michael <BR>What are you looking for and what would "costs within reason" be? <BR>Do you need a concierge to make difficult restaurant reservations? <BR>You have enough lead time to do that <BR>now, even by yourself. The top hotels like the Ritz or the George V may have more influence in pulling off last-minute miracle tickets or reservations, but you'd have to be prepared to spend $500-$700 for a room. <BR> However, even small hotels with or without designated concierges can make advance restaurant, theater, <BR>car rental and other arrangements for you. Many small hotels even sell the museum passes at their front desks.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 12:40 PM
Kathy

Hi Michael: I will be staying at the Hotel Saint Paul next week--in the 6th near the Luxemburg gardens. I've heard great things about their staff and manager. Since it's a smaller hotel, I don't think they have a "concierge", but it sounds like the manager and staff could do the same things. I'll post a report on the hotel when I return, so you can read about the hotel's services and decide for yourself. <BR>

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 12:51 PM
michael

elaine, <BR> <BR>we don't need a fantastic hotel - just something that would be a good base. last may, we stayed at the Lutetia on Blvd. Raspail in the 6th. while it was very nice, the rooms there are in the $300+ range and for three rooms, that gets a bit excessive. i was thinking of a three star (or so) in the 700ff to 1200ff. <BR> <BR>we find that a good concierge is really instrumental in helping guide us on places to go and choosing restaurants. the Lutetia has a great concierge and they really help make a good vacation really great.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 01:13 PM
cindy

I stayed at the Hotel Paris de Rivoli and the concierge was wonderful! It is on the Rue de Rivoli, between the BHV store and the Bastille. Two blocks from a metro stop. The price was about $110 for a double. He was so helpful arranging a tour, a van to the airport, restaurants, and wanted to hear about our adventures when we got back! I'd definitely go back there - but I'd ask for a courtyard room, the street is a busy one and got noisy sometimes.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 02:01 PM
Lori

With this forum who needs a concierges??? <BR>Seriously, I don't think most 3*** hotels would have one, but all will have knowledgable staff who would certainly be able to take care of the type of questions you have. As for guiding you on places to go - if you have been to Paris before I assume you have some ideas of what you want to see/visit/enjoy already. With all the info on the web, in guide books, etc. you can pretty much plan your own without any other help. You can also just toss out questions on this Forum - there are many people here who would be quite willing to help you with info. We've been to Paris many times and never felt the need for a concierges, but a good front desk can arrange for taxi's, provide tour info (if needed), etc!

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 03:05 PM
Deena

The Relais St. Sulpice is a very nice hotel in the 6th. The staff are very helpful and went out of their way to accommodate us (made great restaurant recommendations and reservations).

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 06:47 PM
sandy

The Hotel de l'Arcade is very nice for families. The location is ideal -- near everything you are going to paris to see -- and the price is quite reasonable. Also, the people there are friendly and helpful. Visit their web site: http://www.hotel-arcade.com/

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 04:37 AM
elaine

I will be staying at the hotel <BR>d'Aubusson in the 6th this December for the first time. I have not stayed at that hotel before, but have heard mostly only praise of it. I mention it because it is a 3-star and their front desk staff has already offered by fax, without my asking, to make restaurant, car, museum pass, and other arrangements for us if I would like. <BR>It is not a budget hotel, but much less expensive than the Lutetia--currently slightly over $200 per night for a larger double. <BR>However, the "helpful suggestions" <BR>category applies to many 2 and 3-star hotels on the left bank. As for other restaurant suggestions, if you do a Search on this forum alone for Paris restaurants (or hotels, for that matter) you will find floods of suggestions in all price categories, many of which were in the notes I sent you. <BR>good luck and enjoy your trip

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 05:10 AM
Judy

Hello Michael, The first time in Paris, we stayed at the Regent on Rue Dauphine in the 6th. Great location!!! No concierge, but their front desk went above and beyond, with helpful info and advice. Also, one night we were celebrating with champagne, and asked for wine glasses...they quickly provided lovely glasses. Just one of the small things that made our stay there memorable. FYI, Judy

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 09:33 AM
Gilda

Stayed at the Bel Ami on St. Benoit, St. Germain in the 6th. Four star hotel and the Concierge (Pierre Paul) was superb! They actually have two, but Pierre Paul was by far the best! We sat in the lobby one day and just watched this guy work and it's amazing! He was quite a wizard. He did some great things for us too! The hotel is small but completely redone (modern style) with nice feature. Have fun!

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 07:23 PM
Marta

Hi: <BR>If you are looking for an outstanding <BR>concierge, please DO NOT go to the Hotel <BR>VIGNON.... AWFUL Concierge.... <BR>One night when we got in, they lost <BR>our Key... and the concierge was asking <BR>us for the Key and Drunk..... <BR>

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 06:53 AM
Boots

Michael, I second Kathy's comments on the Hotel Saint-Paul in the 6th. E-mail: [email protected]. I don't think Valérie Benigno is a "concierge," but she and her staff can help you with reservations, tours, rental cars, airport transfer, etc.--and with grace. The Saint-Paul is a 3-star. Prices will probably be less than $150 per room per night. Boots

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 06:42 PM
Patrick

Folks, I think we can all forget adding more posts to this one. Michael contacted me personally and we emailed back and forth about a couple of places, most notably the Villa des Arts where they could have a large suite with separate living room and lots of seating (one of his criteria for the large group). Although it is a beautiful hotel that seemed to be just what they wanted, right where they wanted, and within his relatively meager price range, his main concern was that the manager there, who is totally versed and helpful in planning anything they could want, is not "technically" a concierge. But the main reason he ended up discounting this hotel is that he found that the large, beautifully appointed suite actually didn't have a door separating the living room from the bedroom. I think he has left the Fodor's forum unable to find anyone here who could help him find a 5 star hotel in the 6th of Paris with a 3 star price, especially for a full suite.